[Model/concept] Jellyglowfish lamp

Model, texture and sound development for L:AZ
berry
PT Modder

[Model/concept] Jellyglowfish lamp

Post by berry »

Gnomes of Book of Unwritten Tales, videogame series I was playing earlier this year, use lamps 'fueled' by alive jellyfishes to light up their holes (as seen in this video, for example; there are no spoilers in this caption, and that's a very beginning of the game anyway, so feel safe to take a look, everyone). Ever since I saw that concept, I've considered it fitting to residents of Azurian Isles (if not widespread, it would work well for this guild of hydromancer guys you have in plans, I think?) and today I finally got down to take some MW resources together and try to bring that concept to life:

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/vaJBaeU.png[/hsimg]

My modelling skills are limited to NifSkope, so no hard feelings at all if you end not using that half-baked, makeshifted model. :P It's just a proof of concept, really.

By the way, I truly recommend BoUT 1 & 2 to everyone. I'm not a fan of the genre (point and click adventure games) at all, and I enjoyed it sooo much. So creative, hearthwarming, adorable and funny games.

Cheers!
Attachments
jellyfish lantern.rar
(416.42 KiB) Downloaded 321 times

Melchior Dahrk
Lyithdonea Admin

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

I like this idea, berry! And it does fit really well with the Ouag Tong. I tested it out in game and it looks like there are some issues with the alpha-ed meshes not playing nicely with each other. I'm going to try playing with a NiZBufferProperty and see if I can get it to display properly.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

I'm glad you like it! :) Just to make a credits part clear, besides your Ashlander lantern I used Qarl's jar with floating eyes, LadyE's jellyfishes and PB's distinct summons glow.

Looking again at that screen I posted, I think it could be better to separate this into two lanterns actually, purple-blueish and red-pinkish, based on the jellyfish color. Maybe textures from this mod could come in handy for that? I don't know how it's called, but a glowing aura, such as seen here, around PC's Welkynd stone model, would serve this model well, too.

Melchior Dahrk
Lyithdonea Admin

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

Yeah, took me a second to think of where you got the animation from. :D

And I am going to add a glow around the light as you suggest. HedgeHog has a really good one that utilizes mipmaps that I've used in a couple of my other lanterns. My test in game makes the lanterns a pinkish-red (I guess a coral color) which worked really well. If I can get the alpha to work, I'll post a screen. It's being difficult. Morrowind's engine does NOT like rendering multiple alpha-enabled models over one another... one almost always overwrites the others.

Melchior Dahrk
Lyithdonea Admin

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

Dang, I found an issue with qarl's animation on that eyeball jar. Only 1 of the eyes actually properly animates in game... I'm going to see if I can take the one that works and copy it or something.

Melchior Dahrk
Lyithdonea Admin

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

Good news! I was able to fix the animation issue! All but one of the eyeballs were set to clamp rather than cycle the animation. So I made a few tweaks and finished up the jellyfish light.

https://youtu.be/3KKxM9MPnhY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bonus nighttime pic

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

That's just beautiul. You are a wizard. I'm happy I particapated in making your isles even more magical place. :)

Sorry I caused you so much headache with this model. Telling from that screen and video it was damn worth it though, if I dare say so. :P

Melchior Dahrk
Lyithdonea Admin

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

Without your inspiration, I never would have made it! And without your concept, it would have turned out very differently. Thank you very much. I really like how it enhances the atmosphere of the place. It was definitely worth the effort.

Return to “L:AZ Asset Development”