First of Firsts

Infragris
Project Administrator

First of Firsts

Post by Infragris »

Liturgical text for the Great Faith of Akatosh:
FIRST OF FIRSTS

... for he is Akatosh, First of Firsts, Who Came Before. Rejoice, children of Cyrodiil, for now and evermore he has elected you to be stewards to the World Entire, which is of his creation, and the creation of his brothers and sisters, and is dear to him.

Of the servants who submit their tongues and will to him, many perish in the word-flame, their names added to the list of saints and the covenants. By their words we know him thus:

He, to whom no singular form is to be attributed, nor age, nor any aspect of impermanence, of whom in the old tongue is said: OIOR PARANU BA-EDE. He whose perch stands alone, singular, and dwells only in spaces which have no borders. It is not given to mortal minds to define him, for to do so through trial and ascetic meditation is sure to split the mind in two halves, one who perceives the god as a radiant dragon, another who perceives him as a mask of infinite facets.

Therefore, hear now Akatosh described in all his attributes.

His name is bestower of eternity, high priest, the first, the lord, the dragon, the holy and glorious, the all-seeing, protector, seer, observer, the ruler, he who is the Emperor when the Emperor assumes his guise, one who does not deceive, one who has shaped everything, the utter rim of the wheel, he who devours himself and is thus made eternal, the permeator, the jaws of time and the teeth of hours, he is of infinite scales, he is the tongue that speaks eternity. He is the two-glyph word, he is called Bormanna and Ardentar, Recordator and Protodragon, Akaskala and Akataleptos, the Perpetine, sages in the north call him by secret runes. Poets call him the root, the one who is, and for you he is the swirling shield, for you he is a many-angled blade, to deflect and smite your enemies. He is the origin of permanence, stability, eternity, piety, obedience, the best and most worthy truth.

The will of Akatosh is the will eternal, which has never bent, has never been bought, has never been sold, has never been forged, has never broken, will never change. His will is immanent, and you will submit to it, and never question his command nor delay it. And in return he will make you kings of the world which is your inheritance, a seat unsundered, from which the Emperors of Cyrodiil may rule evermore, and their will last evermore, as long as their faith is unwavering, and your service absolute.

Violet
Lead Dev

Post by Violet »

I feel like "Who Came Before" is a better name, personally. First of Firsts has a weird ring to me that fits better within the text itself than it does as the name of the text imo. I'm not sure when I'll have time to give a proper review, but I've added it to my list.

Return to “P:C Literature”