Dragonstar West: Nahassar's Love Letter [Miamian]

View and discuss completed claims
Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Dragonstar West: Nahassar's Love Letter [Miamian]

Post by Rakanishu »

Player encounters a male Redguard/Breton NPC in Dragonstar West and is asked to deliver a sealed love letter to a female Redguard NPC In DSE. It seems like a simple delivery quest, but if the player breaks the seal (similar to how the Treasury Orders in the Hlaalu quests are sealed) they see that the letter is suspiciously encrypted with a cipher. The player can then ask any guard in DSE about the letter who will tell the player to take it to Jarla Jona's adviser. Player can deliver the letter to the intended NPC in DSE or take it to Jarla Jona's adviser for a more substantial reward.

Idea:
The cipher reveals the location of a Sogat Dur-Gada weapons/supply cache in DSE (doesn't appear until the player breaks the seal). I'll suggest a cipher method via DM on Discord.

Fail States:
1) Player kills DSE NPC during quest.
2) Player kills DSW NPC during quest.

Reward Options:
1) Player delivers the letter without breaking the seal: +15 disposition with DSE NPC, 50 gold.
2) Player breaks the seal and delivers the letter to DSE NPC: -5 disposition with DSE NPC, 25 gold.
3) Player breaks the seal and delivers the letter to Jarla Jona's adviser: +10 disposition with Jarla Jona's adviser, 100 gold, DSE NPC appears in the dungeon.

Jarla Jona's advisor doesn't exist yet, so quest claimant will need to make one.

Please use prefix Sky_qRe_DSW01_

Miamian
PT Modder

Post by Miamian »

I would like to claim this quest.

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Granted!

Jarla Jona's adviser should be added to her throne room and be a bit calmer/more level-headed than her, but still bold enough to remain her close confidant.

Miamian
PT Modder

Post by Miamian »

Here is my proposal for the journal (thank you Texafornian for the edit)
The Sealed Love Letter

1. A Redgard in Dragonstar West named Nahassar asked me for help. He wants me to deliver a love letter to a woman living in Dragonstar East.
10. I refused to deliver Nahassar's love letter.
15. I agreed to help Nahassar. He told me to take his love letter to a Redguard woman named Mesara who can be found in the Shadowkey Tavern.
20. I broke the seal on Nahassar's love letter and noticed that it is in fact an encrypted message.
30. I showed the encrypted love letter to a guard. He told me to take it to Leivar in Jarla Jona's court.
40. Leivar, Jarla Jona's adviser, thanked me for bringing him the encrypted love letter and gave me 100 gold as a reward.
50. I delivered Nahassar's love letter to Mesara in Dragonstar East. She gave me 50 septims in return.
60. I found Mesara in Dragonstar East and gave her the opened love letter. Mesara attacked me after she saw the broken seal.
70. I killed Mesara in self-defense.
80. I told Leivar, Jarla Jona's adviser, about Mesara's attack and showed him the encrypted love letter. He gave me 75 gold as a reward.
90. I cracked the encrypted love letter and followed its directions to a hidden weapons cache in Dragonstar East.
100. I informed Mesara that I cracked the encrypted love letter and found a hidden cache in Dragonstar East. She told me to follow her into her room to speak privately.
110. Mesara identified herself as a member of the Sogat Dur-Gada and thanked me for bringing her the hidden weapons. She rewarded me with 50 gold.
120. I informed Leivar, Jarla Jona's adviser, that I cracked Nahassar's encrypted love letter and followed its directions to a hidden weapons cache. He was angry that I didn't immediately bring the message to him, but was relieved to hear that I took the weapons for myself. He rewarded me with 100 gold.
130. I informed Leivar, Jarla Jona's adviser, that I cracked Nahassar's encrypted love letter and followed its directions to a hidden weapons cache. He was angry that I didn't immediately bring the message to him and became furious when I told him I left the weapons in the cache.
140. I killed Nahassar. <fail state>
150. I killed Mesara. <fail state>
And NPC's needed:
1. Nahassar, Redguard male, DSW
2. Mesara, Redguard female, Shadowkey Tavern, DSE,
3. Leivar, Nord male, Jarla Jona court, DSE

Link to the Google Doc with all dialogues:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U3w ... sp=sharing

Miamian
PT Modder

Post by Miamian »

Quest ready for a review.
Attachments
The Sealed Love Letter.ESP
(27.2 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

Violet
Lead Dev

Post by Violet »

Results from my playtesting session. NOTE: I couldn't find the weapon's cache, so I couldn't test endings 90-130, haven't looked at it in the CS yet.

Issues and bugs:
-The questgiver, Nassahar, has "Morrowind Lore" as a topic.
-There are 2 Farsad NPC's in DSW atm. Probably Sealed Love Letter dirtying him as Nassahar is extremely close to one of them.
-Speaking to Leivar while Journal is at 30 gives you a Greeting with a Choice option. The second choice has a typo: "I'm just passig by" should be "I'm just passing by.".
-Journal Index 60 doesn't fire when you give her the love letter with its seal broken.
-Journal Index 70 (killing Mesara in self defense) doesn't fire.
-After breaking the seal and reading it the first time, I'm unable to read the love letter again.
-Journal Index 150 (killing Mesara when the Journal isn't at 60) doesn't fire either. My gut says the broken part of the script is blocking this OnDeath block from updating the journal, and possibly the self defense part as well.

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Reviewing.

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Merged into DS section file.

General:
- This was pretty broken. I made significant changes to the mechanics and endings, but left the basic dialogue the same.
- Renamed the quest to "Nahassar's Love Letter" to hopefully make the DSE path a little less obvious.
- Moved the cache from DSW to DSE and updated the letter.
- Updated the weapons in the cache and gave them unique IDs with new names to help with quest wrap-up (see below).
- Fixed issues noticed by Violet.
- Fixed typos and grammar.

Journal:
- Rearranged some entries to make quest conditions work better and to enable all of the paths.
- Updated some language. Most notable change was replacing the player's recognition of the letter "being encrypted" with "having scrambled characters".

NPCs/Creatures:
- Created "Sky_qRe_DSW01_MesaraPr", a jailed corpse variant of "Sky_qRe_DSW01_Mesara".
- Changed ID "Sky_qRe_DSE_Mesara" to "Sky_qRe_DSW01_Mesara".
- Changed ID "Sky_qRe_DSW_Nahassar" to "Sky_qRe_DSW01_Nahassar".
- Cleaned dirty NPCs "Sky_xRe_DSW_Farsad" and "Sky_xRe_DSE_Guard_s".

Scripting/Dialogue Results:
- Added new run-once global script "Sky_qRe_DSW01_ItemCheck_sc" which checks the number of hidden weapons that the player is carrying and assigns the number to three new globals. This lets the player turn in a partial number of weapons and wraps up some edge cases.
- Added new local script "Sky_qRe_DSW01_Mesara_sc".
- Fixed the letter script "Sky_qRe_DSW01_Letter_sc".
- Removed Mesara's travel mechanic since it was too buggy.
- Modified script "Sky_qRe_DSW01_Nahassar_sc" by adding SHOTN NPC variables and an additional check for the OnDeath block to ensure that journal entry only fires during quest.
- Deleted script "Sky_qRe_DSW01_Nahassar2_sc" and added disabling logic to "Sky_qRe_DSW01_Nahassar_sc".
- Renamed script "Sky_qRe_DSW01_MesaraJail_sc" to "Sky_qRe_DSW01_MesaraPr_sc" and made it a local NPC script.

Dialogue:
- Reworked the "sealed love letter" topic.
- Added new topic "Mesara" with a couple of entries.
- Added entries to "background" and "my trade" for Leivar, Mesara, and Nahassar.
- Incorporated Leviar's Greeting 5 choices into his initial entries for "sealed love letter" topic since there could be G5 conflicts between multiple quests, mainly the DS MQ.
- Moved Leviar's initial Greeting 5 entry to Greeting 7 and removed its quest condition.
- Moved Greeting 5 entries to DSW placeholders.
- Deleted Guard-filtered Greeting 5 entries since there could be G5 conflicts between multiple quests. I kept their entries for the "sealed love letter" topic.
- Gave Guard-filtered entry a "Dragonstar" cell filter.
- Cleaned dirty G5 entry.
- Cleaned dirty topic "1000-drake pledge".

Return to “Completed”