Old Hrol'dan + Beorinhal (Sky_xFk_OH) [Reserved: roerich]

Post by roerich » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:21 pm

Old Hrol'dan

Architecture: Reachman set/Barrow ruins
Size: 1 large hut, 15-16 small huts
Economy: Raiding, herding, hunting
Ruler: Konoch Ordhraig

Background:

An ancient fortress ruin located in the southwestern, rockiest part of the Sundered Hills. Its origin is unknown, but it is most likely Nedic - possibly the same culture that founded the city known as Elinhir today.

It has been periodically occupied by Reachmen since at least the second era. In times of rebellion or independence, it has served as a safe place from which to launch raids and secure the eastern Reach border.

Hjalti Early-Beard famously besieged the fortress while in service of King Cuhlecain of Colovian Falcrenth. He used Thu'um to shout down the walls, thereby removing some of the strategic importance of the place. The Reachmen currently dwelling here have tried to reinforce the crumbling wall ruins with wooden palisades, and the site being in the bottom of a canyon does have a defensive quality.

In the aftermath of the War of Bend'r Mahk, the Reachmen borderer tribes living in the lower Druadachs has migrated in large numbers to the Sundered Hills and Old Hrol'dan. From here, they raid the surrounding Nord farmsteads, and they are attempting to cut out an autonomous region of their own in the grey wasteland.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:53 am

Nobody expects an Old Hrol'dan update! Blazed through this in the past five days. It is made completely from scratch - nothing remains from the old Old Hrol'dan, except as concepts and ideas conceived during previous work.

I haven't seperated the files from the RestExteriors file yet, I'm thinking of grabbing a larger chunk of Sundered Hills, and just have it as a seperate file. I'd like to paste Spineinside's showcase somewhere east of this. Apologies for the large file.

Cell names: "Old Hrol'dan" and "Sundered Hills"
[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/FmhWFq9.jpg[/hsimg][hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/renoHFV.png[/hsimg][hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/PY9fIPt.png[/hsimg]
[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/G9TCyYM.png[/hsimg][hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/jvEVewn.jpg[/hsimg][hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/vzXWtTu.png[/hsimg]
[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/4PmvRBx.png[/hsimg][hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/WOsoTpJ.png[/hsimg]
Attachments
Sky_OldHroldan_01.rar
(34.19 MiB) Downloaded 39 times

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:35 am

This looks extremely good. Glad to see you undeterred by your losing the previous file!!
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:39 am

Thanks. This version is tenfold times better than the previous one that I lost a week ago, so in retrospective it was a good thing. Even with how depressingly annoying it is having hours and hours of work lost.

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:49 am

This actually looks super fantastic. I love the winding road and the carved-in ruins there. I must say I prefer this over the old version.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:39 pm

Looks great! Reminds me of that hidden valley from TES V, where Boethia prince was to be found in Molag Bal quest, only cooler and more deeply set in lore. However, why are gate guardians hostile? It would be pity if this city would be naught but a giant "mob-zone", full of 'savage' enemies - we can do much better than that in portraying Reachman culture. edit: I realised this sentence might have sounded a tad aggresive... I'm sorry if you felt offended :oops: I didn't mean it as an attack on you, it's just something I considered worth pointing out, as I thought we agreed only really small Reachmen camps would be hostile, and there's lots of potential going wasted with Old Hrol'dan if it's all outrightly aggresive, in my opinion.

Another small nitpick - the ladders by the gate are too steep to walk them up right now.

I can't express how much I like what you achieved here; it's truly a jewel like Baan Malur. You got damn good in exterior modding, if I might say so. :ugeek:

Looking forward to seeing this together with spineinside's claim (and your Beorinhal too, maybe?) Overall I agree it might be beneficial if we create a separate workfile for Sundered Hills region, from this, spineinside's showcase and other cells we have already finished. Druadach Highlands and Vorndgad Forest regions benefited from such approach.

Btw we really should have functional crows/ravens for this region, they'd work great here.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:17 pm

Comparison to Baan Malur is certainly high praise! Thanks guys.
berry wrote:However, why are gate guardians hostile? It would be pity if this city would be naught but a giant "mob-zone", full of 'savage' enemies - we can do much better than that in portraying Reachman culture. Another small nitpick - the ladders by the gate are too steep to walk them up right now.
Don't pay attention to the current NPC's. But thanks about the hint with the ladders. The camp/city will be hostile in dialogue but not attack the player outright. I have a lot of hopefully interesting lore prepared for these tribes and their history, which will explain more.

Edit: No offense taken at all, berry. I had actually been discussing the same thing with worsas on IRC.

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:41 pm

Looks great, roerich! You've definitely nailed the characteristics of both settlements. Beorinhal looks like a real fortress, and Old Hrol'Dan looks like an old ruin that has slowly beem crumbling away for centuries. Perfect.

Make sure to back up a file. ;)

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:46 pm

Thanks Yeti. Don't worry, the file is backed up. I'll upload it once I have seperated the SH files from the RestExterior file.

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:42 pm

Congratulations on the new pc! hopefully this one will keep your saves around regularly. :)

Also, this looks suitably cool. I'll post some more thoughts tomorrow when I'm less tired.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:26 am

Cheers. In the meantime, enjoy an early view of Jarl Horir's hall.

ImageImageImage

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:22 am

Now that really looks magnificent!

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:09 am

Now that is a grand hall if ever I've seen one. Nice!

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:17 pm

I really enjoy how those houses line up the approach to the Beorichal keep. Gives it a very military and defensive atmosphere. Well planned! Hopefully the walls of the fort are accessible (even without an interior, just to access the top walkway, for that spectacular view).

Salivating to wait for a file. This work combined with the finished Markarth and Karthwasten should really shut up people who don't read our forum and call it 'dead project lol' after about 5 seconds of looking.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks a bunch. The walls should be accessible for sure, the view over the Lorchwuir Heath is unparalled

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:16 am

http://i.imgur.com/qxDr8LY.jpg Overview of Beorinhal

I'm thinking of splitting up this claim after I fix the file and add spineinsides showcase.

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:33 pm

Could you post your file for this, roerich? I'd liked to take a look around Beorinhal and the surrounding area.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:15 pm

Here you go. This is a very wonky file. It hasn't been cut from the RestExteriors in this file (lol), and the fort pieces haven't been replaced with Tamriel Data variants. I will make sure to make a correct version of this when I get around to it. Possibly making a claim map to make it more manageable.
Attachments
Sky_SH_Beorinhal+OldHroldan.rar
(34.17 MiB) Downloaded 42 times

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:43 am

Many thanks, roerich. I'm trying to get a sense of just how much work we have left to do on the Reach's exterior. Thankfully, it's looking like a reasonable amount now that we've moved Falkirstad north. The exteriors of all the Reach's major settlements are pretty close to completion, it seems. We mostly have to worry about filling in the bits of unfinished wilderness in between.

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:24 pm

I am closing this temporarily to tidy up the forum a bit and put emphasis on our current release schedule.

roerich, you may pick this up anytime in the future when you continue working on it.

Return to “Unclaimed”