Karthgad Quest: Mining for Worms (Sky_qRe-Kg01)

View and discuss completed claims
Yeti
Lead Dev

Karthgad Quest: Mining for Worms (Sky_qRe-Kg01)

Post by Yeti »

Mining for Worms

Nauk gra-Olad is a miner living in Karthgad. She wants the player to help her by clearing out the spikeworm infestation from the nearby Kerlingroff Mine. During the quest, the player can be aided by the half-crazed Breton miner Erond. After the player completes the quest Nauk gra-Olad will award them. Inexpensive ore would be a fitting award for Nauk gra-Olad to give. The player can also get an award from Thane Grondvrd if they ask around.

Use the existing topic “the worms” for quest dialogue and GetDeadCount to detect when the unique worms in the mine are killed.

Worsas already wrote some dialogue for a quest similar to this. I've adapted it for my revised version. The quester should use this along with any extra dialogue they need to fill in the blanks.

Place additional quest-related greetings under Greetings 5
Nauk gra-Olad - greeting (already included)

Greetings. Ignore the mess, if you will. I'm too tired after exploring caves all night for ore deposits to take care of house chores. If Kerlingroff Mine hadn't become overrun with spikeworms, my lot in life might have been easier.

Back again? I really ought to get going to the mines soon. I think I saw an actual iron vein last evening, and I'm anxious to check it out. If Kerlingroff Mine hadn't become overrun with spikeworms, my lot in life might have been easier.

Nauk gra-Olad - overrun with spikeworms
There are hundreds of them. The Kerlingroff Mine northeast of here has been standing still for three decades and those monstrosities have infected every single tunnel and chamber. Thane Grondvyrd's useless guards can't be bothered to take care of them. If you can clear them out, I'd stand to gain a steady source of income.

Player agrees
Really? You'll clear out the worms? I'll believe it when I see it. Come back when you have put an end to the worm-plauge and I will reward you any way I can.

player says no for now
Fine then. Not like I expected help from a stranger anyway.

Erond – overrun with spikeworms (this entry already exists)
Worms, worms, and more worms! The whole cave is lousy with worms and I can't get rid of them. A real shame, since the iron here is top notch stuff.

Play response: Choice 1: "I will slay the worms" Choice 2: "Goodbye"

Will you really do that?... You will? I will come with you.

Erond – overrun with spikeworms
I can't believe that they are really gone! %PCName, you are my Saviour! From now on I will go unmolested mining day for day till I die, hahaha.

Flavor dialogue to go along with quest:

Guards - overrun with spikeworms
We're too busy protecting the village to take care of the spikeworms in Kerlingroff Mine. Wouldn't be worth the time clearing them out anyway, if you ask me.

Guards - overrun with spikeworms
Is it true that you cleaned Kerlingroff Mine of those worms? That must have been quite the ordeal.

Grondvyrd – overrun with spikeworms
Feel free to take care of the spikeworms in Kerlingroff Mine. That problem has been around for much too long.

I heard you were able to drive the spikeworms out of Kerlingroff Mine? In that case, I owe you my thanks. This helm was made of ore harvested from Kerlingroff Mine long ago. Now it is yours!
*player gets the armor pieces*

Kerlingroff Mine is finally free from the worm-plague. It's about time.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Claim :)

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

Looking at this now, it doesn't look like Erond serves any meaningful purpose in this quest. He can probably be removed. A nice touch would be to move Nauk gra-Olad to the mine after it has been cleared.

Granting. Feel free to voice any questions you might have about dialogue style.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Yeti wrote:Looking at this now, it doesn't look like Erond serves any meaningful purpose in this quest. He can probably be removed.
I originally thought that too, so I slightly adjusted your proposed dialogue so now there's a possibility to turn down his help offer - this way players finding him annoying would be able to simply ignore the weirdo, and some might find him a cool little feature. I also gave him an infinite-time torch and one-handed weapon, so he's actually kind of useful now in these dark caves.

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/DiBNDTy.png[/hsimg] [hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/TcGN3qN.png[/hsimg] [hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/zy1HKLk.png[/hsimg] [hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/dtYdzQG.png[/hsimg] [hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/sWwG2WQ.png[/hsimg]
Yeti wrote:A nice touch would be to move Nauk gra-Olad to the mine after it has been cleared.
Sure, can do. I also thought that maybe some more generic miners and guards can be enabled in the mine when it's cleared - together with some torches to make it feel more hospitable? I think players would find seeing such difference they made to the game world rewarding.

I've got a core of this quest mostly finished now. I'll upload it in a day or two, after some proofreading, and then I can start including some extra features. :)

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/kNA0BWZ.png[/hsimg] [hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/TodWh9s.png[/hsimg] [hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/1CLxLfy.png[/hsimg]

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

Looks good so far. I noticed a few tiny things I'd like to tweak about the dialogue (we probably don't need to be too specific about when the spikeworms overran the mine, for instance. It seems like something that would have happened gradually over time), but those kinds of edits can be implemented during the review stage.

There probably should be some kind cost for accepting Erond's help - and I think it would make sense for Nauk gra-Olad to mention him when sending the player to the mine. If it isn't too difficult, I suggest having her mention that there is an annoying Breton in the mine that always makes himself a nuisance, and recommends that you ignore him. If you accept Erond's help, Nauk gra-Olad will say she was surprised that the Breton managed to be any help, and will say it would only be fair to split the reward with him. Thus, you get a slightly smaller reward for using the extra help.

These are only suggestions, of course.
Sure, can do. I also thought that maybe some more generic miners and guards can be enabled in the mine when it's cleared - together with some torches to make it feel more hospitable? I think players would find seeing such difference they made to the game world rewarding.
Go ahead. Anything you want to do to improve the quest is fine with me.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Finished (sort of). Eventually I hit a 'writer's block' when I was trying to add some more color to this quest, so it's all basic. I figured it'd be better if I dropped it as it is and focused on implementing some more quests, rather than kept struggling fruitlessly with this one.

To cheatly complete it, in the mine type " set "Sky_qRe_KG1_global" to 71 " in console. The reward is 300 Septims, + 1 Reputation and enchanted helmet.

As for now, the helmet uses steel helmet mesh actually, I couldn't find a Nordic iron one looking grand enough (and being beast race-friendly). The helmet was placed on a ground near Nauk's house as a preview, but mainly it is received from Grondvyrd as a secret reward.
Attachments
Sky_berry_quest_worms.ESP
(29.59 KiB) Downloaded 187 times

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

I will check this tomorrow.
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Great! I forgot to relate to that part of Yeti's post before, but of course feel free to adjust/alter dialogues, guys. :)

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Just a note (not working on this currently): somewhere along the road I realised there are at least two things still needing to be implemented here:
  1. add a "psycho-filter", journal entry triggering on Nauk's death and finishing the quest. I always keep forgetting about that, and it won't be needed that often, but it's vanilla convention
  2. add dialogue lines to Errond to make it possible to ask him to wait or start refollowing players. It's MW convention again, plus I bet it can be really handy in this quest especially, where PC is likely to use Destruction to rapidly bring down these swarms of low level mobs. Errond would be crooked without it then.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

This is looking great. Having a few miners show up after the quest would be a great step in giving the impression that the player's actions influence the world.

Minor note: The carrot needs to go. Right now it is the only carrot in the entire Reach.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Iskuss1418
PT Reviewer

Post by Iskuss1418 »

What is the purpose of DeletmeErond? He is not deleted and apears right next to Erond in the mine.

Return to “Completed”