Stirk Quest/Script Suggestions

All topics related to NPCs, Quests and Dialogue
Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Stirk Quest/Script Suggestions

Post by Rakanishu »

I took a look at Stirk's quests and associated scripts, and I have to say that they're a lot more creative and interesting than the typical Fetch X or Kill Y jobs. Here are some fixes/changes that I'd like to get some feedback on:

Fixes

Quest: PC_1-3_Selkies
- Change the Journal "PC_Q1-3_Selkies" ... references in various dialogue results to "Journal PC_1-3_Selkies" ..... The extra Q prevents the quest from starting.

Quest: PC_1-4_Gold in the Nets
- Add Journal "PC_1-4_Gold in the Nets" 50 to PC_Str_Estarria's "golden amulet" dialogue results box for Choice=3. This adds a missing journal update.

Quest: PC_1-5_TheHelvorLegacy
- Incorporate the script changes for this quest (attached below) so that Vilter appears in Pilious' manor for 1 day after the player sells him the relic(s).

General Scripting
- Incorporate the attached scripts to add stop conditions to global scripts, fix local/global variable name conflicts, remove duplicate code, fix text formatting, and improve efficiency.
- The scripts are MWEdit-approved and work ingame, but I'd greatly appreciate others testing them too.

Changes

Change Script ID Syntax
Both the Construction Set and MWEdit have issues when a script ID includes dashes; both programs throw errors about the script failing to compile. It would make debugging a lot easier if the script ID syntax were changed from PC_QX-Y_... to PC_QX_Y_.... (It would be even better if all assets had underscores instead of hyphens).

Quest: PC_1-2_Atmospheric Dictative
This is the only drastic change. I propose deleting the three scripts below (way too many GetItemCounts called every frame) and using the modified script "PC_Q1-2_ItemScript" found in the folder in the attached file:
- PC_Q1-2_DwemerGear
- PC_Q1-2_Silk
- PC_Q1-2_WelkyndStone
The attached changes include timers added to each of these scripts and the original "PC_Q1-2_ItemScript" in the event that they can't be deleted.
Attachments
PC_Stirk_Scripts_05182017.zip
(11.39 KiB) Downloaded 246 times

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

I'll have a look at it, but so far it all looks great. We'll incorporate these into the next update.

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Good to hear. I should have added that if you do decide to delete the three scripts for the PC_1-2 quest, all you have to additionally remove are three of the StartScript lines (_DwemerGear, _Silk, _WelkyndStone) in the "PC_Str_Dandre Aurilie"' Choice==3 dialogue results box under the "Atmospheric Dictative" topic.

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Just checking in to see if there's anything I need to fix in the submissions in the original post.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Bugfixing for Stirk had to wait for the latest data update, so I haven't yet had a chance to check this out. Might still take a couple of weeks before I can get to this. I'll make a note here if any new problems show up.

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Sounds good. This might be a job best left a lead dev and/or the future, but I'd be happy to dig through the .esp and convert some of the problematic script IDs to replace their dashes with underscores.

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

I decided to overhaul a number of my scripts to fix some bugs/errors and improve performance, but I haven't touched the script IDs themselves. The attachment is a reupload of all scripts, including those that I haven't modified since the 5/17 post.
Attachments
PC_Stirk_Scripts_09282017.zip
(12.3 KiB) Downloaded 297 times

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Awesome, you're doing terrific work, Texafornian.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Ah, great. I was about to start implementing these into the bugfix version.

Return to “P:C Characters & Questing”