Making the Reach more dangerous

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Making the Reach more dangerous

Post by roerich »

We've had some discussion about making the Reach a more inhospitable place, which I agree with. The mesas are perfect by themselves, as are the canyons, but the grasslands could be made more rocky and intimidating. We also need to talk in terms of gameplay and lore.

Proposals
  • - Make the terrain more rugged, using rocks and height differences where appropriate. I really love canyons.
    - Add more hostile camps, both in the Vorngad and throughout the Reach. Some of these can be larger warbands, small military camps. Every city in the Reach should be fortified, even some of the villages as these are often attacked by Reachmen marauders or bandit groups.
    - Make the roads less safe. Remove the many railings and gravel road and replace with something more primitive (I think Worsas talking about making a new road texture?). Place some murdered merchants here and there, and an ambush or two along the road. Have guard camps on the most travelled roads, patrolling the area.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

As long as we don't go too overboard, I'm fine with these suggestions.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

What I think we should do first, is mapping all the roads and the final terrain layout.

Afterwards while we set up claims based on that map, we'll be able to discuss additional hostile locations and further tweaks on a claim by claim base. Locations should be made up while looking at the existing (or future) terrain. While I love the additional subdivision being created in the western grassland now, I don't see us changing the terrain as radically as that in most other previously finished areas. For one because I want the Reach to largely look and feel the same as it does now and secondly to not lose too much time and effort on changes opposed to new creations. In most areas terrain changes should be limited to changing the road or making slight terrain adaptions where needed.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I've been a bit busy with work, but I will give the section maps a look tomorrow during my commuting time.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Return to “The Reach”