Hammerfell Border region

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Vofelvard is a quite pretty name, I find. But all your three proposed border fort names are good with me.

On the region name, I'm uncertain about Lorchwuir. Barrachan felt better to me. But I'm too late to speak up about this, so let it be Lorchwuir.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

We can use Barrachan for the region between Falkar Foothills and Obsidian Coast.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Ah, it makes sense. Lorchwuir as a general term used by all folks of the Reach and other lands sounds great then. I agree it probably doesn't need a geographic ending too, those can always be mentioned in dialogues solely, be it heath, fields or lowlands.
An alternative name for the border fort (which would make more sense for the recently built nord fortification) could just be "Vorngyd's Stand", named after King Barda's father.
And his is it, in my opinion. I don't mind two other proposals too, but Vorngyd's Stand sounds perfect for a fort in this somewhat harsh surrounding, considering the uppish approach Nords would have for the lands they conqured as well. I cast my vote for that one.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I'm still somewhat in favour of Barrachan Obama over Lorchwuir. Lorchwuir really sounds like a particularly native name for a remote area rather than a region name for a well-inhabited flatland. Barrachan is a native name too, but it works better for an area like this one.

Alternatively, idk:
Aldmora/Atmora/Uld Vraech/Utgard
Aldkarth/Atkarth/Uldkarth/Utkarth?

or maybe something else altogether. Meh, I can't help myself.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I'm fine with Barrachan or Barrachan Heath for this. Scamp's mesa can be named Lorchwuir.

Edit: I made up the name, but apparently there's a tiny village in Scotland named Barrachan as well. Close to where they filmed The Wicker Man, one of my favourite movies.

Not that it has to have any impact :-)
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

If Barrachan is the name of a town in Scotland, we should maybe change one letter, so it is Parrachan, Tarrachan or something similar. Or we come up with yet another name...

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I don't think it matters that much tbh. But how about Barrachain.
- Taniquetil

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Personally I perceive Barrachain as a name fitting for more dry area, probably because of Cyrodiil's Barrowlands region. But it's nitpicking really, other than that vibe this name gives me, I don't mind it at any rate. It certainly sounds grand enough, it works for me.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I dunno. I don't think the name of a tiny hamlet should really change anything. Especially not a Scottish one, as the Reach has a lot of Celtic/Gaelic/Pict influences already. I think Barrachan is the best name, really. It sounds like a good Whisky brand.

It's not like vanilla TES isn't riddled with real life references all over. Bruma is a city in South Africa, loads and loads of Ashlander names are lifted from Sumerian and other Mesopotamian civilizations, the 36 Lessons have numerous references and even literal quotes from Hindu philosophy and the writings of Aleister Crowley, the Pokemon easter eggs, the Roman names etc.
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

We can leave it at Barrachan Heath/Lowlands. The lowlands are relatively dry, because the nearby highlands catch a majority of rain that would otherwise fall down over this area.

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

Wait, we're not Lorchwuir now?

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I'm fine with both.
- Taniquetil

Return to “The Reach”