Settlements of the Reach [WIP]

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Settlements of the Reach [WIP]

Post by roerich »

Not too sure if I categorized these correctly. Is anyone working on creating a list of current villages and Tier IV settlements? Otherwise I'll try and do so.

A list of settlements in the Kingdom of the Reach (these are settlements ruled by kings, jarls or thanes)

County Markarth (king barda)
Markarth* (king barda)
Lainalten (thane___)

County Falkirstad
Falkirstad (thane___)

County Karthwasten (jarla jona)
Karthwasten* (thane frovol in jarla jonas absence)
Dragonstar (jarla jona)
Karthgad (thane gronvyrd)

County Felsundhal
Felsundhal (thane ___)

Villages, hamlets and larger camps
-111,8 Haimtír (Reachman+Redguard)
-118,13 (Reachman)
-117,12 (Direnni ruins+Reachman)
- worsas ravine/wetlands village

Suggestions for future additions: (should be revised when we get a better overview of our map and needs)
- trading posts and inns on the road between Dragonstar and Karthwasten
- redguard border fort? in the Hammerfell region. Maybe more.
- more hostile isolated Reachman camps
- some run-down hamlets in the claimnortherngrasslands region (no reason this region shouldn't be settled, easily farmable grassland and close to the road network
- orc camps (also hostile)
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

Can we simplify Markarth Side to "Markarth"?

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Revised.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

We originally had planned to divide The Reach into four counties: Markarth, Karthwasten, Falkirstad and Felsundhal. Although four might be a little excessive, I think three would be a good number to have.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Agreed, I think two was too little and four too excessive indeed. Dragonstar seems most suitable to be its own county (based on location and size), but that will muddle up the Jarla Jona/Karthwasten affair.

I played around in the CS a bit, trying to create a Hammerfell border fort

The Hammerfell cells should be a claim, so we can close off the southern border of the Reach.
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I'd not be too consistency-obsessed when it comes to county sizes. Consistency is more important with regards to geography and regions, but not on human made divisions in Nord lands. Nothing speaks against having 4 counties. The Reach is almost as big as Vvardenfell. One county could entirely consist of a single town and immediate surroundings, with the jarl being housed in nothing but a long house. Also, just for the record, it is probably entirely self-evident: A political border (even hold border) doesn't have to have and mostly shouldn't have any immediate expression on the landscape itself, unless things like rivers or other natural borders make this appear as a reasonable choice. The Reach as a mere geographical Region should continue into Haafinheim: Northern Reach and Falkreath: Southern Reach, for example.

Nice border fort, Roerich.

Suggestions for further settlements: Some more orc camps, also hostile ones.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Very good, I will revise the original post again.

Yes, orc camps, especially in the more rocky areas.
- Taniquetil

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

- trading posts and inns on the road between Dragonstar and Karthwasten
Currently, there is no road between Dragonstar and Karthwasten, and adding a direct route looks impossible without razing a large swath of landscape.

Where is your border fort located, roerich?

My (rough) proposal for the placement of Dragonstar: Originally, I had wanted to place it between the two mesas, but there doesn't appear to be room.

http://i.imgur.com/720iVxM.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

A route should exist though, I will see what can be done without altering too much. Doesn't need to be a direct route at all.

Border fort is in the south: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/726 ... ach_12.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Includes my proposal for location of dragonstar as well, utilizing the mesa walls. I don't know which is better.
- Taniquetil

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

Perhaps the route can hook up with the Redguard part of Dragonstar, looping around the western side of the mesas. Currently, Karthwasten's southern gate doesn't lead to anything, which should change.

That layout could work for Dragonstar, as long as the city doesn't spill into too many cells. I think I prefer it to the one I posted.

I wasn't aware any work on the exterior south of Karthwasten had been done. Who was working on it? We really should have a discussion of what the area should look like before making additional CS progress.

Return to “The Reach”