Dunstad discussion

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Dunstad discussion

Post by roerich »

In the spirit of plannning properly - it's time to start the discussion on Dunstad. Worsas and me has had some initial discussion on IRC, but nothing is set in stone. Personally I'd avoid overusing the Dun- prefix (Dunstiorr, Dunstad, Dunbarrow, Duntar, Dunkreath - in a game where Dunmer is a pretty important word), but I'd love to see more settlements with -stad. The settlement should be Nordic in nature, but it could be one of the fiefs previously owned by an Imperial noble. The name Dunstad Grove suggests a wooded location, and I think it will fit fine in the Solitude Forest.

Role: Thane seat
Architecture: Either Haafingar set or preferably a more rural style of Nord wooden houses.
Size: 10-15 interiors.
Ruler: Thane ___
Economy: Timber, mining

Background:

Dunstad first appeared in Arena as Dunstad Grove.
In TES V it has suffered the fate of many villages, it has turned into a ruined fort.

Proposed location:

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/rUAPzld.jpg[/hsimg]
1: Expanding upon or rebuilding the logger camp here.
2: On the edge of a forest clearing.

Both locations are further west than the two location it has previously been located in, but I think it works well with our map and distribution of settlements.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

[hsimg=]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c23/q ... 1-33-0.jpg[/hsimg]

I found this design on Google, when I googled Dunstad Grove. I don't know who made it, or if it's possibly somewhere in the Exterior File. I rather like the design, though obviously the Skaal houses are to be replaced.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I think we should go by choice 1 and turn the the logger camp into Dunstad, keeping it as a small site for the most part.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Dunstad is a smaller town on the edge of the Solitude Forest, sitting in a clearing in the southern, temperate part. It started out as a trading post, where trappers from the forest could sell furs and skins. As more forest was cleared, it slowly grew into a proper settlement with farms and a permanent population. It connects the good southern roads leading to Markarth and Whiterun with the less travelled forest paths, but none the less highly sought after products from the forest.

In order to punish the nobility supporting Queen Potema's rebellion, the Jarldom of Dunstad was expropriated and given to Count Lerus Orvach, a loyal Imperial commander, after the war. This act was also somewhat taken in order to create a buffer zone between the Reach and Haafinheim, which had previously allied against the throne. The county is owned by the House of Orvach, and answers to the Emperor/Curia?.

Current events: Count Egval and the noble house of Orvach still owns Dunstad and makes a good living from the fur trade. But the Nordic clan who lost their ancestral lands are not soon to forgive (or forget). Throughout the Haafinheim questline, Dunstad county can be annexed by Haafinheim.
- Taniquetil

Return to “Haafingar”