Gold Coast Exterior Design Overview

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Gold Coast Exterior Design Overview

Post by Scamp »

Hi! Time to sort-of repost this.

The purpose of this thread obviously is to be a central point of reference for all exterior modders working on claims located in the Gold Coast region. The Gold Coast is mostly a flat region, interrupted by small hills scattered around the landscape, and a few higher cliffs here and there. There should be more cliffs in the most western parts of the Gold Coast.
As always, please make your claims interesting. Add small points of interest that will catch the player's eye, let it be pirate camps, unique rock formations, ruins, cave entrances, etc.

Most importantly, use the main Anvil file as your primary reference. Consistency is key. Also, I may have forgotten to include certain objects in these lists, so if I were you, I should take a look at the CS files and go from there, returning to this thread only to get a general overview of objects used. Even better, use the Nemon ctrl-d technique and copy an entire cell, make sure all objects listed below are present (unless they have special annotations) and rearrange. It's that simple (except for Milk Thistle instances, which are deprecated and should be replaced with Spike Rice).

Ground Textures
  • PC_Tx_GC_grass mostly.
  • PC_Tx_GC_grassdirt in small areas and around hills where no groundcover is placed. (see file)
  • PC_Tx_GC_rock_grass around small hills.
  • PC_Tx_GC_rock on cliff and hill sides.
  • PC_Tx_GC_rock_dirt, PC_Tx_GC_sand1/sand2 on the beach
  • PC_Tx_GC_sand3 on seafloor and islands (or special selected areas)
Shading

I used a light grey (168, 168, 168) for transitions between ground textures.

Other than that, 98,98,98 for statics on land, 121,121,121 on the seafloor.

Rocks

PC_Terrain_GC_rock_01-33, feel free to use the terrain bridge, rock stairs etc, too. The cave entrances are called PC_Ex_GC_Cave_exit01 and 02.

Please do not cover the whole landscape with grassy rocks near the cost, I used them only sparingly here: The northern parts of the GC should contain more.

Flora
  • Statics:
    • Overall:
      • PC_Flora_GC_Bush_01-02
      • PC_Flora_GC_Shrub01-02
      • some ivy here and there if you wish
    • Southern Gold Coast:
      • PC_Flora_GC_Palm01-05
    • Northern Gold Coast:
      • PC_Flora_GC_Olive01-03
      • PC_Flora_GC_Tree_01-07
      • PC_Flora_GC_Oak01-03 (sparingly...)
      • PC_Flora_GC_Log_01-04
      • PC_Flora_GC_Stump_01-04
  • Near water, use:
    • PC_Flora_Lilypad_01-03
    • PC_Flora_Cattails_01
  • Container plants:
    • Aloe Vera
    • Arrowroot
    • Dryad's Saddle Polypore (rare)
    • Fennel (North only)
    • Ginseng
    • Goldenrod
    • Green Stain Shelf (rare)
    • Lady's Mantle
    • Spike Rice
    • Nirn Root (rare/special)
    • Sacred Lotus (water only)
    • St. Jahn's Wort
    • Thungleweed
    • Tiger Lily
    • Water Hyacinth (water only)
When adding your fancy lilypads, please keep in mind from which direction waves might be coming. Place them behind little islands or rocks where they could survive.

It'd be cool if people could handle Yacoby's Mesh Generator. I figured out that the best way to place groundcover without awkward stuff is to pregenerate the grass and then add other statics. If you refuse to work with the generator for now, or it does for some reason now work for you, I might generate grass later for a few claims.

My grass.ini settings for the Gold Coast:

Code: Select all

[GL_Grass_03]
bPlaceGrass=1
bPosRand=1
bRandClump=0
bSclRand=1
fMinHeight=0
fPosMax=100
fPosMin=-100
fSclMax=1.5
fSclMin=1
iBanOff0=128
iGap=250
iWeight=0
sBan0=GL_Dirtroad
sChance0=5
sChance1=20
sChance2=20
sChance3=55
sID0=
sID1=
sID2=
sID3=
sMesh0=grass\PC_Flora_GC_02_01.nif
sMesh1=grass\PC_Flora_GC_01_01.nif
sMesh2=grass\PC_Flora_GC_01_02.nif
sMesh3=grass\PC_Flora_GC_01_03.nif
sName=
sRecType=STAT
sScript=
[GL_Grass_03:ANY_NAMED_CELL]
bPlaceGrass=0
bPosRand=1
bRandClump=0
bSclRand=0
fPosMax=128
fPosMin=-128
fSclMax=1.5
fSclMin=1
iGap=256
iWeight=0
sName=
sRecType=STAT
sScript=
Ignore any error messages when loading the grass esp alone, even though I don't know why you would do that. In any case, a more detailed tutorial can be found here.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Can we update this reference guide to exclude the milk thistle and use the spike rice instead?

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

In the latest maps I proposed adding a "Gilded Foothills" subregion in the north, which would be more-or-less identical to the current region set, except with some more terrain elevation and cliffs closer to the eastern border (running up to the Highlands). This would be necessary for the current design of Sutch (stone spire in the middle of a river ravine) to make sense, and to break the line of sight with the northern border. What is your opinion on this, Scamp?

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

worsas wrote:Can we update this reference guide to exclude the milk thistle and use the spike rice instead?
Yes, with pleasure. Milk Thistle really doesn't look any good in this region. Was there a specific thread where we discussed any flora changes to be made to the Gold Coast? I believe there was some thread, although I could be mistaken, mixing it up with some of the changes you proposed for ShotN's existing exteriors and/or Stirk.
Infragris wrote:In the latest maps I proposed adding a "Gilded Foothills" subregion in the north, which would be more-or-less identical to the current region set, except with some more terrain elevation and cliffs closer to the eastern border (running up to the Highlands). This would be necessary for the current design of Sutch (stone spire in the middle of a river ravine) to make sense, and to break the line of sight with the northern border. What is your opinion on this, Scamp?
Yes, indeed I haven't commented on your major contributions to our geography yet, which are most excellent. I have been thinking about the Gold Coast lately and thought it not to be "Morrowind-y" enough. To the north-west, we need some sort of change in elevation to prevent players from getting bored and overwhelmed by the endless grassy plains. We can go with the same assets for the most part, sure, your suggestions sound good. Perhaps we should add a few plants from the Colovian Highlands further in the east.

I was thinking that we should perhaps go with a vast cliffrange for the western coast, although your recent additions of villages might make it a little difficult to achieve. In any case, I suppose we've had enough beaches for now - a rockier region design around Sutch would work splendidly with a cliffrange west of it.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Scamp wrote: I was thinking that we should perhaps go with a vast cliffrange for the western coast, although your recent additions of villages might make it a little difficult to achieve. In any case, I suppose we've had enough beaches for now - a rockier region design around Sutch would work splendidly with a cliffrange west of it.
A vast cliffscape would be a great addition for the western coastline. The villages should prove to be no problem. The smaller one, Thresvy, would be a Hla Oad-like collection of five huts just north of Anvil. If the coastline goes up gradually, this place should still be in reach of the sea - otherwise, the plateau could start further inland and grow close to the sea further up north. The second one, Seppaki, would lie at the mouth of a river running from Sutch to the sea, also pretty low. It could maybe nestle on a strip of shore at the base of a vast cliffside: I've seen little villages like that in Normandy or Bretagne once. Either way these places would be very small, and if things don't work out they can simply be moved.

Return to “County Anvil”