Issues with the regional Assets

worsas
Project Administrator

Issues with the regional Assets

Post by worsas »

Having dealt with the Stirk plugin for some hours, I feel that there is still some work to be done with the container plants. Many of the plants don't visually harmonize with each other and some general color adaption would go a long way, which is something I would like to look into for the next Data update.

But there a few plants that I'd rather see completely removed or replaced within this region setup:
- PC_Flora_GC_Shrub01 is a horrific view to behold. Please allow me to just delete this monster.
- PC_Flora_Milkthisle: Apart from suffering from the same issues the other container plants have, this plant doesn't feel like it really belonged into the Gold coast or Stirk at all. If you don't object I would replace all of their instances with the spikerice plant I made for the Gold Coast in the past and that hasn't seen any usage to date.

Another thing is general placement of container plants. It would be better, if plants of the same kind were seen growing in neighborship rather than being spread as singular plants across the landscape. There may be some plants that are good solitary plants but for most other cases a grouped or at least neighboured placement looks much better. So I'd like to do some general rearrangement with the container plants on Stirk aswell.

I hope that's fine with everybody.

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Would replacing the Milkthisle instances work just like that?

I reckon rearranging all these plants might take quite a huge amount of time, generally I don't have anything against it - I just don't know if we can afford it.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I'll try to not let it get overboard with massive changes.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

One more question: I saw the addition of a blue light around wispstalk mushrooms in a cave, while other caves that had wispstalks in them before, don't have this feature.

The Wispstalk is a fantasy mushroom, which for its name lends itself for a glowy effect, but I don't want it to be a pure reskin of the bitter coast mushrooms or the other glowing mushrooms at SHOTN. I think that this glowing mushroom number gradually starts to get old.

I've put a faint lightsource (RGB 50,50,50 with radius 64) below the wispstalks of my Stirk colovian barrow, so they are lit from below, and I think that this is a cool way to add some additional light to a dungeon without making it look too similar to the other glowing mushrooms that already exist. Actually it's still pretty dark, now that I see this on my darker monitor:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223 ... %20007.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I have changed the color from 50,50,50 to 90,103,90 now, which works really great to give the wispstalks a slightly ghostly look. I like the effect, at least. I would like to avoid using the same luminarity seen in the vanilla game. I'm also against adding light bulbs to mushrooms by default. In the vanilla game that was because those mushrooms were actually luminiscent outside of the caves aswell. But I've already seen lightbulbs on bolete mushrooms and others where it didn't make sense to me.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Leon wrote:Vanilla Morrowind already has light bulbs placed near mushrooms, also with kelp and barnacles both in exterior and interior.
While I would agree that Vvardenfell is more of a grim kind of place, Cyrodiil is not, in the contrary; it has more life, flora with delicious colors, and a vivid landscape. And therefore I think that we can add a little bit more light in Cyrodiil than that there was in Morrowind.
One of these mushrooms is called luminous russula. The way they are lit is more of an alienness thing, not really a general thing for mushrooms. I agree that there is lit seaground and sometimes lit ore or ice aswell. Ultimately you need to have light sources somewhere. For dungeons you need to stretch realism a bit. I only argue against automatically treating each mushrooms like in the vanilla game. It should be a special feature of the mushroom, if at all. If you add light sources to plants or mushrooms in caves, it should be a subtle thing, in my opinion or if not subtle evoke the feeling that magic is involved in some form.

I generally agree that Cyrodiil should be a more colorful province than Morrowind or Skyrim. But I object against reusing the same features in an identical way without any regard for what they represented in their original context.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Meh, I think you may have misunderstood me. I'm not against luminescent flora or fauna per se. I only would like to keep it different from the Bitter Coast stuff that everyone knows. If a subterranean plant or mushroom is supposed to be luminiscent, I don't object against a bright light source added to it. But when plants or other mushrooms that are not luminiscent by default are given a light source in cave, it should be a subtle one, in my opinion (unless this is a cave that is supposed to look and feel like it was filled with magicka, like some telvanni caves in the vanilla game. In that case we can go disco).

Regarding the wispstalks in particular: I just like the subtle lightsource better than a bright big lightbulb that reveals everything around it. It turns them into very small insular light spots in the otherwise dark surroundings, an effect I really like. While it doesn't make the dungeon very colorful, it is a very different effect that is nice in and on itself. I think that, if we want more color in caves, we should create more colorful cave flora in the first place.

Return to “County Anvil”