How will this relate to Oblivion?

General project talk
commodore256
PT Modder

How will this relate to Oblivion?

Post by commodore256 »

So, what direction is this going in reference to Oblivion? Are there going to be NPCs that existed in Oblivion? It's only been 6 years. Are you going to use lore that Oblivion had like the lore relating to Anvil and the Thieves Guild? Would it be possible for the Nerevarine to to help (Oblivion Thieves Guild Spoilers)
Spoiler
The Gray Fox become Count Corvis Umbranox again
before the Hero of Kavatch is suppose to? What if you play for a while and it's the 27th of Last Seed 433? Isn't the Nevearine suppose to be in Akavir at that time? Could there be a Quest where the Nerevarine can prevent the Oblivion Crisis and rewrite History? (That might be an interesting idea, Tamriel went to shit as soon as the Septim dynasty ended)

Future Lore aside, what about the design of the world? Are the Cities going to be similar? Are they going to be bigger? Kinda like how Zaric described how Oblivion should have been? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baV3dFX9uv4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just what's going on?

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Our main goal is to portray Cyrodiil based on how it is described in Morrowind and in the PGE1. Places and NPCs that occur in TESIV will for the most part also appear in P:C, as will most Oblivion lore as long as it does not conflict with aspects of Morrowind and the specific aesthetic we wish to pursue.

In general, we want to preserve continuity with Oblivion for major questlines: the Gray Fox will be an important NPC, but there is no option to help him with his predicament. Likewise, there is no way to avert the Oblivion Crisis - because your character does not know it is going to occur. Playing after 3E 433 has nothing to do with Cyrodiil specifically, so there are no plans to address this.

Our world is built to scale with Vvardenfell, which is a considerable increase in size compared to Oblivion. The world in TESIII is larger than that of TESIV, but is used to portray a much smaller area. As such, our world will be larger and more detailed than that of Oblivion, with more people and places to visit. It also features some cities left out of Oblivion, like Sutch and Sarchal, and a number of new villages and settlements meant to portray Cyrodiil as the dense, urban environment it is supposed to be. In terms of content, we try to move Cyrodiil away from Oblivions generic fantasy model and towards more Morrowind strangeness, foreign landscapes, and cultural oddities.

commodore256
PT Modder

Post by commodore256 »

Well, I thought Morrowind was suppose to be strange because it's Morrowind (like vine mushroom stuff in the Telvanni region or the floating asteroid in Vivec) and I thought Cyrodiil was suppose to be of European inspiration making generic fantasy the nature of the beast. (though more Ayleid stuff would help that)

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Here, read this and tell me if it sounds at all like generic euro-fantasy. Before Oblivion, Cyrodiil was portrayed as a bizarre religion-obsessed Roman-Byzantine merchant culture, a river-based society surrounded by jungle. During the development of TESIV, the decision was made to make it look more generic in order to cash in on the Lord of the Rings movies that came out around then. Besides, Tamriel already has a classic European fantasy setting: it's called High Rock.

Ted
Forumite

Post by Ted »

Cyrodiil become europian-generic in TES IV because Todd Howard try to make clone of Lord of the Rings, because he think it can increase sales of the game. And this is one of the reasons why Oblivion for me the worst Elder Scrolls game. And P:С team is the last hope for me to see REAL Cyrodiil, how province need to be.

commodore256
PT Modder

Post by commodore256 »

The Euro-genericness actually threw me off because I wasn't into that kind of thing, but Cyrodiil grew on me.

That said, the original lore was interesting and there was more culture and factions. But are we're just cherry picking things from Oblivion that will be passed to P:C and for the most part staying true to the old descriptions and do a little bit of lore transplantation?

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

We carry over anything from Oblivion that does not conflict with past descriptions and fits in our concept for the world. In cases where the lore conflicts, we automatically give the benefit to the Morrowind version - for example, Cyrodiil's Dark Brotherhood will be mainly inspired by their depiction in Morrowind.

achanguitar
Forumite

Post by achanguitar »

While Cyrodiil we traveled in Oblivion are NOT lore-accurate, i enjoy Oblivion alot (despite it's quite bland and generic). Though i can tell i truly dreamed this project will be lore-accurate, with significant differences between Colovian Highlands and Niben. Back to the topic, i think Province Cyrodiil will be great if TES IV Characters are present and have some immersion based on TES III timeline (ex : Kvatch in full glory, with the clueless Martin Septim as the priest, but we can throw some references or something about his future in TES IV : Oblivion in his dialogue :lol: ).
"... Old dog doesn't get new ideas. But maybe young folks like you should try some new ideas. I don't know. Could be messy. But change is never pretty."
Wulf (Tiber Septim) from TES III : Morrowind

LiquidHurlant
Forumite

Post by LiquidHurlant »

Oblivion killed the mood and literally moved nothing forward. Come on, the savior of Tamriel's a churchmouse named Martin? Towers of Power? No thank you.

The only good to to come from Oblivion were Liminal Bridges, Pelinal, and Remanada.

achanguitar
Forumite

Post by achanguitar »

LiquidHurlant wrote:Oblivion killed the mood and literally moved nothing forward. Come on, the savior of Tamriel's a churchmouse named Martin? Towers of Power? No thank you.

The only good to to come from Oblivion were Liminal Bridges, Pelinal, and Remanada.
THOSE are things i wish to see in PC! some copies of Remanada books will be a great addition.
And about Pelinal, while it's simply impossible to place "Pelinal Whitestrake" NPC and call it "lorefriendly", i still really wonder how he'll look like, Province : Cyrodiil style
"... Old dog doesn't get new ideas. But maybe young folks like you should try some new ideas. I don't know. Could be messy. But change is never pretty."

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

These books have already been included. Figures like Pelinal, Reman and Alessia will receive much more attention in P:C, with temples, cults and monuments dedicated to their memory.

achanguitar
Forumite

Post by achanguitar »

Infragris wrote:These books have already been included. Figures like Pelinal, Remanand Alessia will receive much more attention in P:C, with temples, cults and monuments dedicated to their memory.
This post made me realize while Alessia's statue present in Oblivion, there's so little mention about the badass emperor Reman! hell, Oblivion doesn't even have any statue of Reman while at least Skyrim have his visage
Spoiler
in Cloud Ruler Temple

millysoose
Forumite

Post by millysoose »

LiquidHurlant wrote:Oblivion killed the mood and literally moved nothing forward. Come on, the savior of Tamriel's a churchmouse named Martin? Towers of Power? No thank you.

Some may hate this, but I suggest Martin be renamed to "Martinus Septim." Imperials names are based on Latin names (often they are Latin names.) A lot of Bethesda's bad loor is being thrown out, so I don't think this would really be such a radical change.

Undertaker
Forumite

Post by Undertaker »

I have one question regarding settlements from TES IV game. According to this map

download/file.php?id=915&mode=view

all but two villages from Oblivion are present. Why two were omitted? Those two are Aleswell - north of Imperial City and Border Watch - looks like Trariraj on the map, so maybe it's not actually omitted.
millysoose wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:33 am Some may hate this, but I suggest Martin be renamed to "Martinus Septim." Imperials names are based on Latin names.
If anything, he should be called Brother Martinus.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Most of Oblivion's village names are somewhat generic and fail to give a good impression of local culture and civilization. Trariraj is a Khajiiti renaming of Border Watch, indicative of the fact that this area has recently been annexed by Cyrodiil. The town of Quenti Turrai is on the same location as Aleswell: in this case, it was felt that the latter name was simply too indicative of generic high fantasy, and sounded too rural and pastoral for the cosmopolitan Heartlands. While not visible on the above map, a number of smaller farms and locations will also be renamed if it is felt that they do not adhere to the vision of Cyrodiilic culture we wish to portray.

Undertaker
Forumite

Post by Undertaker »

Infragris wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:46 am Most of Oblivion's village names are somewhat generic
I completely agree with this one, but since Aleswell actually sounded better than Water's Edge or Brindle Home, I had to ask about especially
Infragris wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:46 am town of Quenti Turrai is on the same location as Aleswell
Not really, in Oblivion in was south west from Bleaker's Way (another horrible name), while on this map it's roughly south east from it. That's why I thought it's completely omitted.
Infragris wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:46 am While not visible on the above map, a number of smaller farms and locations will also be renamed
Is there a place I can submit my ideas for new names?

Return to “P:C General Discussion”