Post by puddles »

Credit/Permission List

Ice Wraith: Lord Berandas w/o vanilla MW Assets
Lamia: Worgas & Revenant
Raki: Worgas
Sload: modder's resource made by lidicus
Welkynd Spirit: Worgas

Original Post

I'm not sure if this the right place so post, but I couldn't find anywhere else better and currently PMs appear to be disabled until my post count goes up. I'll just copy-paste what I queried ProjectTamriel on Nexus:

Sorry to bug you. I've been helping someone named ponyrider0 over on Tesrenewal with his project to create a do-it-yourself converter for Tamriel Rebuilt (with TR's tacit approval), mostly by helping him create substitutions for creatures and armor. TR's team was willing to let me convert a few of their homemade creatures, namely the Swamp Troll, and Hoom, to Oblivion format because they didn't use vanilla Morrowind assets. I'm very sensitive to avoiding anymore copyright on TESRenewal/Morroblivion's end by not releasing anything that uses Morrowind's original meshes/textures, so I'm reaching out to you about the PC_Data files in the new Tamriel Data BSA. There's some really amazing work in there, especially the Lamia, Raki, and Welkynd Spirit! They're appearing in the Tamriel Rebuilt .ESPs at this point. I don't see any credits/permissions on the Province C page, and I wanted to know if you had a list of what was/wasn't made with original Morrowind assets. And if you're even willing for me to convert any of it, of course.

ProjectTamriel told me that The Lamia was modelled by a modder named Revenant, but animated by Worsas. Worsas created the Raki and the Welkynd Spirit, and suggested if I was interested in a particular creatures, it'd be best, if I registered here.

I'm not really familiar with Morrowind modding beyond the process of converting .nifs to Oblivion, but I'd gladly offer to do some touchup on models or textures that are queued for a makeover in exchange for permission.
Last edited by puddles on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Hmm. Tricky question. Most of those creatures have been made before my time, but if worsas has signed off on this, then I see no problem with you converting them. The Raki is a SHOTN thing, so I don't really have a say in it.

Apart from those three, not a lot of our creatures have left the planning stage, and the ones that have might not interest you. Common creatures such as cows, horses, and the like already exist for Oblivion, and many of them also use vanilla data as far as I know. If you are interested in the textures applied to these creatures, I would contact Saint_Jiub: he either made them or (I think) might be able to help you pinpoint the creator.

Permission is, I admit, a bit of a blind spot for the projects: we've mostly assumed that assets made for the projects can be used as resources for other mods, but porting to other games has never really come up. Sadly, there is no clear agreement or guideline for this. Personally, I feel like you should be able to use these assets freely, but it might not be my call to make. We'll try to rectify this situation for future data additions, at least.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

The readme of Tamriel Data says that you have to ask the respective modders, whenever you want to rip assets from the data files rather than using the whole data files as-is. Strictly speaking we are already in an ambigious situation with how all these assets are made accessible to other modders in the bundle and that's one of the reasons why I have been wanting you to come here and post your request more publicly.

That said, I'm fine about converting the raki and the welkynd spirit, if they keep labelled as such and I stay attributed about them. If you find Revenants agreement, it will also be fine to convert the Lamia.

puddles
Forumite

Post by puddles »

Yeah, I'm well aware how nebulous a good portion of asset permissions is with the older TES games, Oblivion included, since modders have disappeared without making their terms known and Nexus has taken such a hardline stance on credits and permissions. Morroblivion's original issue was apparently that some of Morrowind's assets were made by a 3rd party vendor that Bethseda bought the rights to for just Morrowind, so when TESRenewal converted the files onto the Oblivion platform, the company wanted Bethseda to pay the fee all over again.

That was why ponyrider0 had to go the route of making a do-it-yourself converter, so the .ESPs for Tamriel Rebuilt and the .NIF/.DDS files are being converted on the individual's computer instead of being distributed online. The old Nif Converter is only able to handle static Nifs and occasionally some weighted armor though, so it automatically skips over all the creatures and their animations. I spent well over a year picking through old notes, and the head designer for Morrowind's Symphony mod gave me a lot of support in learning how to translate Morrowind animations to Oblivion's format. He also gave me permission to convert his from-scratch creature replacers over, to fill in the holes in what never got converted for Morroblivion.

---

Guar: substituted
Minotaur line: we can use Oblivion's Minotaur Elders
Ice Wraith: ??? I...might be able to make a substitute for this, not sure who made it: someone on the Skyrim project?
Lamia: Need to check with Revenant
Goblin line: We can use Oblivion's Goblins
Raki: permission from Worgas
Welkynd Spirit: permission from Wargas
Birds: Oblivion resources exist for these
Newt: Adorable, but I can probably make a substitute using a Baliwog
Frog: I have a frog resource I released for Oblivion...
Spriggan: We have Oblivion's Spriggan.
Sload: This is amazing, but I'm not sure if it's a modification of the Ogrim.

---

You guys and Tamriel Rebuilt have done some amazing work. Pretty awesome to see such large-scale projects are still active.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Thanks for the kind words. The Ice Wraith is by Lord Berandas. So best contact him (pm in this forum, eg) to ask he he lets you use it.

puddles
Forumite

Post by puddles »

I've reached out to both of them and added any pertinent information I have to the top of my first post for people's future reference, thank you.

puddles
Forumite

Post by puddles »

Still haven't heard from Revenant.

A few questions I have, probably for Worsas, since he seems most familiar with this stuff:

Wormmouth, at a glance, looks like it was adapted from Morrowind's Kagouti or Alit models. Confirmation on this?

The same with the Sload, it appears to be a modification of the Ogrim?

This might be a question to post on the Skyrim board instead of here, but are the Skyrim Goblins supposed to be Falmer or some kind of Goblinkin? I went onto the two TES wikis looking at goblins in the games to see what color I should re-texture the Oblivion goblins to fit these, but there don't appear to be goblins in Skyrim (at least not in the GAME Skyrim...would admittedly be silly if they were pests all across Tamriel except to the north...) that I could find. I'm tentatively going to make them white or something.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

The wormmouth is made from scratch. It does not use anything from the kagouti or alit.

The sload is from a modder resource. I don't know for sure what it is based on.

puddles
Forumite

Post by puddles »

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42937/?

This appears to be it. The model was made by lidicus, and animations appear to have been made from scratch, at least...there's talk about it still having some buggy animations. The texture probably is too, if the model is. I'll add the link and creator to the OP.

puddles
Forumite

Post by puddles »

It took some fiddling with the normal map and materials, but I think I got it to match the colors nicely in-game.

Beautiful work, Worgas!

Return to “P:C General Discussion”