Project Island Hopper

All TES III modding discussion
Renfrow
Forumite

Project Island Hopper

Post by Renfrow »

I was not sure how to create a new section under hosted projects, so I made my topic in this one.

I will be posting information about my Roscrea project soon.

SGMonkey
Site Admin

Post by SGMonkey »

eh... No :P Thats not how this section works. I guess I best post an explanation somewhere of how this whole thing works. haha

You can't just post in Wolli's section. You could have posted it in Modding Discussion or Off Topic. Anywhere BUT someone else's modder area.

Moved to Modding Discussion for the time being.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I'd suggest not doing Roscrea, as SHotN might want to do it as well, and in our vision and accordibg to our Thian quest arch. You're free to work on what you want of course, but just to avoid compatibility issues in the future. I know Yneslea is being worked on for TES V. Cathnoquey would be trippy but interesting. Thras as well.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Renfrow
Forumite

Post by Renfrow »

I was referred to make my thread about this project under the "Hosted Projects/Modder Area" section, but I couldn't figure out how to do that, so I posted on his thread to let someone know needed help to make my own, however, if this is a more fitting place for my project then I am perfectly okay with that. =)

roerich wrote:I'd suggest not doing Roscrea, as SHotN might want to do it as well, and in our vision and accordibg to our Thian quest arch. You're free to work on what you want of course, but just to avoid compatibility issues in the future. I know Yneslea is being worked on for TES V. Cathnoquey would be trippy but interesting. Thras as well.

That's fine with me, I think I will keep my island, and finish off height mapping the mountain I started, and keep it on the back burner for a while. My island is almost certainly in a different spot than shotn's is and mine can be made into a different island in the north if lore comes out about another, and if not I can always make up some lore and use that to re-purpose the island. Cathnoquey would be very interesting, and in a much warm climate which I enjoy. I may for now switch my focus over to there. If you have any ideas or concepts for Cathnoquey I would love to hear them. =)

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

In that regard, you should check out this MK post: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/132712 ... athnoquey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some important points:
  • Cathnoquey is an archipelago
  • Pre-annexation the two main population groups of the island are Chimer fishermen (Chimer who kept wandering east, after the followers of Veloth settled in Morrowind, and avoided Azura's curse somehow) and the descendants of a forgotten Nedic people called the Men-of-Keptu.
  • It was a very equal, egalitarian society without kings
  • Meetings between the two people are pre-planned and heavily ritualized. They meet mainly for trade.
  • The fishing Chimer live near the shore, on floating flotilla cities ruled by "shore-Khans" (probably some relation to Ash Khans of the Ashlanders, a relic of pre-Velothi culture). There is some talk of how they are searching for Veloth
  • The Men-of-Keptu seem to have some relation to Morihaus, Alessia's Bull-Man consort. Infragris can tell you more about that whole deal. They appear to be a martial people, with many fortresses. They are obsessed with drawing bulls, though no cattle exists on the island.
  • The annexation was a semi-violent deal. The Imperials tortured and executed a greal deal of Keptu-Quey, trying to find out where they were hiding their non-existing cattle.
Edit: I like this map, in terms of location: http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/top ... ion/page-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Perhaps with a bit more space between the islands and Akavir, and Atmora being more to the north. Issgard, Falskarr etc. are mods, don't worry.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Renfrow
Forumite

Post by Renfrow »

Thanks, Roerich. I am currently reading the post, but thank you for providing the links, and taking time to summarize them as well. I know you are busy with Shotn so it means a lot to me that you are taking your time to help me figure out a direction with all of this.

Edit: Just out of curiosity about where in the construction set would you estimate the most north-western part of Akavir would be?

SGMonkey
Site Admin

Post by SGMonkey »

Renfrow wrote:...
Edit: Just out of curiosity about where in the construction set would you estimate the most north-western part of Akavir would be?
Impossible to tell. There are no official maps which include Akavir.

Also, of the maps that do exist, Akavir is different in shape size and location in almost all of them.

Renfrow
Forumite

Post by Renfrow »

I know, I just wanted to get an estimate of what people might think it would be, so I can get an idea of where I should put Cathnoquey.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

No problem. I feel a bit bad trying to keep Roscrea to myself, but as I said you should work on what you want to irregardless. But I think Cathnoquey could be pretty damn cool to build. For location, I'd try to stay close to the map I linked, I don't know how to calculate what the cell numbers would be.

I made a crude map, if you want some inspiration. Not too sure about the terrain style, but I think the shape of the islands look good. Perhaps some mountains or weird rock formations in the middle of the main island.
[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/XzjG0XO.jpg[/hsimg]
- Taniquetil

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

roerich wrote: The Men-of-Keptu seem to have some relation to Morihaus, Alessia's Bull-Man consort. Infragris can tell you more about that whole deal. They appear to be a martial people, with many fortresses. They are obsessed with drawing bulls, though no cattle exists on the island.
Afraid there's not too much I can say about them, and I have only a vague idea what MK was going for with the 'Quey. The Keptu were one of the many "Nedic" tribes inhabiting the Niben valley, probably in southern Blackwood. Like most other Cyrodiic Nedes, the Keptu were enslaved by the Ayleid, and are mentioned among the trafficked people of the Adabal-a. According to the Song of Pelinal, "Zuathas the Clever-Cutting Man" is a Keptu name.

Knowing the timeline, we can assume that (part of) the Keptu departed from Tamriel somewhere after the Alessian Rebellion, perhaps due to pressure from the Marukhati. It should be noted that Morihaus himself also disappears from the record around this time: the god hangs around the First Empire for a while, but seems to lose interest after the death of Empress Alessia. Maybe there's a connection there.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

There's also the whole "Akavir is a future kalpa" deal. Perhaps both Veloth and Morihaus sought to go east for that purpose? IIRC TR has some highly obscure Temple apocrypha that says Veloth kept walking east, after Necrom. And that this is a well kept secret because it means the majority of the Chimer stopped following Veloth and stayed in Morrowind, abandoning their sacred prophet. The Chimeri-Quey could be the few that built ships and followed him.
- Taniquetil

Renfrow
Forumite

Post by Renfrow »

Don't feel bad, about keeping Roscrea, if I really wanted to I could continue it, but no reason to have two Roscreas, and like I said, it would be easy to tepurpuse the small amount of work I have already done.

I don't like the men of keptu, I think we need a nee name, and background lore for them, but I like the idea of the chimer-quey.

EDIT: Thanks for the picture of the islands. What would you think about either a volcano, or a metore in the wide oof the mountain on the big Island?

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

For one I think the Men-of-Keptu plays a pretty big role on the island. Cathnoquey is actually the island we know the most about, and that should be embraced if you ask me. A volcano or crater could be cool. I made that map up on the spot though, but inspired by the map posted above. Neither are official, so you can do what you want of course.
- Taniquetil

Renfrow
Forumite

Post by Renfrow »

I just think based on the othe places we know they inhabitted a different name would be more appropriate, which is mostly what I was getting at.
Okay cool, I'm a bit torn on which I would prefer to do, but I am almost thinking the crater would be more origonal, and vanilla Morrowind already has a volcano.

Renfrow
Forumite

Post by Renfrow »

It's taken me too long, but I have been a bit busy. I have finally started fleshing out the shapes of the islands, so far I only have three, and I wanted to see if you thought the size and shapes (they're pretty rough right now) were appropriate, but I do not know how to attach a file on here.

SGMonkey
Site Admin

Post by SGMonkey »

In the Quick Reply, press preview. Or below that, press POSTREPLY. You will then get the options to add an attachment. (One of many things that is improved on the new forum software)

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

You can also upload your image to http://www.imgur.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and then post the link here or embed it with [hsimg=][/hsimg]
- Taniquetil

SGMonkey
Site Admin

Post by SGMonkey »

Thankyou roerich. For images, that is preferable.

Renfrow
Forumite

Post by Renfrow »

Ah thanks, for now I'll just do the image. i have some stuff going on right now, but I wanted to check here on my phone really quick, so you can expect that later today. =)

EDIT: Okay, sorry I was going to post some images, but because I have steam I cannot get mge for Morrowind, so I am stuck with the standard vanilla render distance, and I do not feel like the construction set provide good images, so I am just going to be psting the file. You can find the island around 80 to 90, 0 to 10 cells, or fly over there in game. If it is not a problem I would love for someone to look at the islands just to make sure they are an appropriate size, and their general structure isn't too awful. I am so far loosely following the concept picture you posted. Anyway if anyone has time, and teh desire to check out what I have done so far that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. =)
Attachments
Cathnoquey.ESP
(2.19 MiB) Downloaded 459 times

SGMonkey
Site Admin

Post by SGMonkey »

You can use MGE on the steam version of Morrowind... Who told you you couldn't?

Also, Edit button please :)

Renfrow
Forumite

Post by Renfrow »

Mge won't work for a large percentage of steam users, I've looked online for solutions, and none have worked for Me, but if you know a way around that, I'd love to know. =]

Oh sorry about that, hopefully I'll remember more in the future. =P

Renfrow
Forumite

Post by Renfrow »

I hope it's okay that I am double posting. My last one was from a while ago, and I wanted to have the thread update so it would should there is new activity here.

Anyway, please excuse my inactivity, I have been busy, and have only just began landscaping the area where Septim Port will be. I was wondering if anyone had any input on approximately how many interiors would be a good idea to go with

Atrayonis
PT Modder

Post by Atrayonis »

I've done some mapping myself, going from this as the most up-to-date base map, the Uriel V propaganda map for the island locations, and this overlay for distances and the Akavir shape (although I do like Akavir's shape in the propaganda map more, making it look less like Japan after the attack of a giant smudge tool seems better to me. The Roscrea on the map is placed after the Beyond Skyrim version, though and Lyg is nonexistant because it's dumb.

I ended up with this: http://imgur.com/a/tuxEa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - includes both the propaganda Akavir and the "real" Akavir". It's obviously not all done in Yokunda (and now I'm trying to make the effort version of this a version of Tamriel based on the various TES III projects), but still might be helpful for this. It's also the size of an Earth map, so might be good for length and distance comparisons.
Last edited by Atrayonis on Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SGMonkey
Site Admin

Post by SGMonkey »

Welcome to the forums!

A map from a game thats set an era before the game were modding is the most up to date? Aswell as a game that shit all over the lore of TES... Not sure about that.

Also, pretty sure Pyandonea and Akavir should be much much larger. Pyandonea a bit smaller than Summerset Isle and Akavir is supposed to be near the size of Tamriel.

Lastly, as far as I'm aware, Aldmeris is a place.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Before_the_Ages_of_Man wrote:In the Middle Merethic Era, the Aldmeri (mortals of Elven origin) refugees left their doomed and now-lost continent of Aldmeris (also known as 'Old Ehlnofey')

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Nice map. For sure one of the better suggestions I have seen.

Aldmeris isn't a real, physical place, no. It's more of a mythic concept or a memory. The source "Before the Ages of Man" is misinformed, as are a lot of ingame books.
This sundering of purpose is the myth of the "destruction of Aldmeris." Outside of the Dawn, and even then only in the dreamtime of its landscape, there was never a terrestrial homeland of the Elves. "Old Ehlnofey" is a magical ideal of mixed memories of the Dawn.

Do not believe the written histories.

All mortal life started on the starry heart of Dawn's beauty, Tamriel.
http://www.imperial-library.info/conten ... -intercept" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Taniquetil

Atrayonis
PT Modder

Post by Atrayonis »

SGMonkey wrote:Welcome to the forums!

A map from a game thats set an era before the game were modding is the most up to date? Aswell as a game that shit all over the lore of TES... Not sure about that.
Thanks for the welcome. Yes, it is the most up to production date (it's also set in Skyrim times). Like it or hate it, this is a compilation of preexisting information.
Also, pretty sure Pyandonea and Akavir should be much much larger. Pyandonea a bit smaller than Summerset Isle and Akavir is supposed to be near the size of Tamriel. Lastly, as far as I'm aware, Aldmeris is a place.
I've given my source for the size and placement (they are from from both Lady_N and MK) - they are as official as they be can be save for Bethesda shipping it with a game (which will probably not happen, since they are terrible with maps).

Pyandonea was ever only a tiny blob on a Daggerfall globe, the big version is pretty much fan information as well. Aldmeris hasn't been a place since the Nu-Mantia intercept (pre-Oblivion), as roerich quoted.

In addition, I'm up to making a map version based on the stuff that Project Tamriel and Tamriel Rebuilt have made or plan to make, so a Morrowind Kalpa map would look different (down to the shape of Tamriel itself and the cities of course), but S:HotN has no maps and the ones I've found were said to be in IRC "that old thing". For that version you can of course suggest different placements of islands and so on - I do think the propaganda Akavir with a bit more landmass behind it would look better than smudge tool Japan as well.

Renfrow
Forumite

Post by Renfrow »

I always imaged that Akavir was much wider than in the map, show. I'm hoping that one day soon Bethesda will release a map of it it.

Sssk
Forumite

Post by Sssk »

If I remember correctly, Lady N said at one point that the map this is based off was was speculative. The size of Akavir is virtually unknown.

Atrayonis
PT Modder

Post by Atrayonis »

So, perhaps this is helpful. I've started to make some grid maps for placement help and a general overview. This should be nice to see where you can place your islands.
http://i.imgur.com/gVm7BGA.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Impact on the worldspace for Morrowind, Tribunal, Bloodmoon, Siege of Firemoth, Anthology Solstheim, Tamriel Rebuilt (Public and Alpha), Skyrim: Home of the Nords, Province:Cyrodiil impact.

http://i.imgur.com/U3abKMn.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Without Anthology Solstheim, but the outline I've already gotten done.

Not done with the outlines yet, at which point I'll upload the actual xcf.

SGMonkey
Site Admin

Post by SGMonkey »

Anonytroll wrote:So, perhaps this is helpful. I've started to make some grid maps for placement help and a general overview. This should be nice to see where you can place your islands.
http://i.imgur.com/gVm7BGA.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Impact on the worldspace for Morrowind, Tribunal, Bloodmoon, Siege of Firemoth, Anthology Solstheim, Tamriel Rebuilt (Public and Alpha), Skyrim: Home of the Nords, Province:Cyrodiil impact.
I'm not entirely sure what you are suggesting here. But landmasses already exist in plugin form for all the provinces. Atleast the main ones anyway, (High Rock, Hammerfell, Skyrim, Cyrodiil, Elsweyr, Valenwood, Summerset Isle, Black Marsh)

Return to “General Discussion”