Trey303
PT Modder

-

Post by Trey303 »

--
Attachments
Showcase.ESP
(12.27 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Last edited by Trey303 on Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

Hello Trey. Thank you for submitting your showcase file! Always nice to see a new face around here.

Now, I'm going to post my review of your showcase. It's long, but don't be put off, as hopefully you'll learn some stuff along the way that will tide you on for future interiors!

Clean: Yes
Northmarker: Yes
Gridsnap: Yes
Lighting: Set, but sunlight is too light. Look at other Hlaalu set interiors and copy a light setting that looks good with your interior. In addition, fog should never be 0 0 0 black.
Illegal to sleep checked: No (This should always be ticked in house interiors)

In the top part:

misc_de_cloth11 not resting properly
misc_com_wood_spoon_01_UNI1 not resting properly
furn_de_p_table_05 floating
common_pants_01 floating
common_shirt_01 floating
furn_de_rug_01 floating
furn_de_p_chair_01 bleeding into rug (x4)
light_com_candle_01_off floating
light_com_candle_02 not resting properly
ingred_boar_leather not resting properly (solstheim ingredient, would be wary of putting it in regular interiors)
ingred_bc_coda_flower not resting properly
ingred_bonemeal_01 not resting properly
PC_TreyShowcase_TrapTop and PC_TreyShowcase_TrapBot: It is not necessary to create separate new references for doors or trapdoors (imagine how huge the list would be if every door in the game was a separate object).
Also, not sure how suitable having a trap door in the hlaalu set is. I would rather you made a conventional second floor using the stair pieces. Trap doors work, but do have a habit of looking 'moddy'.

The whole basement. Given that MW is full of daedric ruins anyway I don't think it's a good fit, especially dragging daedric ruins bits back to your basement when you could just traffick with the Daedra lords at the ruins with other likeminded cultists. There are several issues:

Wayyy too much loot (Master alchemy set and a daedric dagger) that you shouldn't find in a townhouse.
There are too many skillbooks.
bk_Boethiah's Glory_unique is a 1 of item and shouldn't be used in a random interior.
sc_hellfire bleeds.
PC_TreyShowcase_Chandelier is an Imperial chandelier and shouldn't be used in a Dunmer interior. Nor should it be a new reference.
BookSkill_Alteration1 not resting properly.
Some other ingredients on the altar float.

Looks like a lot of criticism! But please don't take it the wrong way, there are several bits of your interior that I like and you made a creative go of balancing the books in that basement. In addition you didn't fall into the cookie-cutter trap so I was pleased to see you didn't copyandpaste items from other interiors.

I've taken some pictures here to illustrate a few other hints I can give you:

Image Image

Lights are super awkward to place as they don't 'F' nicely. Try adjusting your movement settings to a lower value (I like 0.1 for finickier objects) which will make them move much slower when dragging them around. Also, candles should only go vertically upright and never off to an angle, because the MW engine doesn't change the flame angle it looks very odd!

I like this pottery display but note, all the jars are at the same angle! Put some rotation on a few of them. In addition, you can even scale them a little using S+drag to add extra variety. You rotated the cups nearby nicely though.

Lights. There are a lot of lights in this interior. If you hit the L key, the light radius of all your lights show up. A good rule of thumb is to not have any of the light-spheres intersect one another. When you get loads like this, the lighting engine goes overboard and it will look super-strange in-game.

Don't be disheartened, once you get used to the Construction Set you can knock out house interiors in a matter of hours and not days, and all these things I point out will become second nature. For an early attempt at using the CS for interiors, a great effort! I would recommend starting a new in_hlaalu house that uses the stair models to have two full floors, and to make it themed around someone who does something a little more ordinary than being a cultist. You've shown in this interior you can theme things like that. For example, the table with the tall candle has a knife, some meat and some hide, it's little touches like that that hint to the trade of a person and if you can think of interesting item arrangements to show things like that, you're doing it right.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you have on using the CS here, or come pester us on the Discord. 8-)
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

Trey303
PT Modder

Post by Trey303 »

Thanks for the help Luxray! I've fixed it up quite a bit and I believe it is much more simple and realistic to the universe now. Please let me know if you have other changes or criticisms, I certainly want to get better. :) P.S. Things got a LOT easier when I realized snap to grid was a thing. ':D
Attachments
Clean Showcase2.ESP
(6.05 KiB) Downloaded 263 times

Trey303
PT Modder

Post by Trey303 »

Clean Showcase2.ESP
(10.86 KiB) Downloaded 337 times

Trey303
PT Modder

Post by Trey303 »

Hello! Here is my version with 200 items, as requested. :) I took the extra items to give the person living there some more obvious personality traits and habits (ex. lute hobby, alcoholic, lazy, etc.) Please let me know what you think. :)
Attachments
TreyShowcase.ESP
(14.63 KiB) Downloaded 261 times

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

This version was a lot improved! I hope you'll agree and you can definitely see the difference that adding more references makes.

Ok, new review to follow:

Northmarker: Yes
Fits Exterior: Yes
Illegal to sleep: Yes
Gridsnap: Yes
Lighting: Set
Clean: Yes

furn_de_tapestry_13 rope clips through beam (x4)
potion_comberry_brandy_01 not resting on sack properly
com_sack_01 needs to sink into the ground a little (Sacks are soft, so sink them a little into the ground so they look soft)
furn_de_p_stool_02 floating
misc_de_basket_01 not resting properly on desk
ingred_holly_01 I don't think people would eat these?
misc_flask_03 not resting properly (Needs rotation and sinking so the metal bit is flush with the surface, not resting on point)
sc_paper plain not resting properly on desk (x5) (Paper is very awkward, best avoided stacking it on top a lot, stick to 1-2 pieces and scale down the top piece if you need to. Paper sheets need to be sunk after 'F'ing as 'F' does not make them rest properly)
Misc_Inkwell floating
misc_com_bottle_15 not resting properly
common_amulet_01 not resting properly
misc_de_fishing_pole floating
common_pants_04 not resting properly ('F' clothes twice to avoid the transparent part at the bottom showing)
com_sack_02_pos floating (Again sink your sacks a little)
furn_de_r_bench_02 floating
misc_com_broom_01 not resting against wall properly
furn_de_rope1_01 not attached to ceiling
light_de_lantern_03_200 bleeds into winerack
Misc_Com_Bottle_14 bleeds into winerack
fur_colovian_helm not resting properly
Misc_DE_pot_redware_03 not resting properly
misc_de_pot_redware_04 not resting properly
misc_de_pot_redware_01 needs slight rotation to rest properly
iron arrow bleeds into another (x2)
ingred_alit_hide_01 floating (x3)
ingred_racer_plumes_01 bleeds into shelf
common_shirt_01 not quite resting properly
common_belt_01 floating (Needs another F)
ingred_scrib_jelly_01 needs lowering into bowl to avoid edges
misc_de_bowl_redware_01 needs sinking so not resting on a point
misc_com_wood_spoon_01 bleeds into cloth
urn_ash00 doesn't belong (Careful not to put tomb stuff in a house) (x2)
com_sack_02_pos needs sinking (x4)
com_sack_02_pos bleeds into edge of barrel
de_r_drawers_01_empty stylemix (Don't mix R and P furniture in the same interior, stick to one style. Having multiple kinds of furniture in the same interior is something we call 'stylemixing' and is avoided as it looks confusing.)

Overall very encouraged and your sense of positioning is great, you just need to take care of resting and rotating all the objects properly. This would pass as a vanilla Bethesda interior but we like to get it right when it comes to resting all the objects. You did this right a lot -- the Sujamma bottles on the top floor were all scaled interestingly and resting in believable positions and placed perfectly. But, see the image below for what I am talking about -- great effort on rotating the bottle, you just need to exercise the same sort of effort for all the objects on that shelf and the rest of the interior.

Just a few rotation things to take care of and I'll gladly recommend you for promotion! In case you didn't know, you can click the preferences and lower the values in the movement options for an easier time navigating the CS. I lower those settings to 0.1 for small, fiddly objects, and you can go lower if you need to.

Good luck!
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

Trey303
PT Modder

Post by Trey303 »

I believe I have made all the fixes requested! It's good to know that some objects are allowed to sink so they will not be on points, or if they are soft objects! Please let me know if you have any other advice or suggestions or fixes I need to make! The tip about the preferences was incredibly useful! :D
Attachments
TreyShowcase.ESP
(14.66 KiB) Downloaded 273 times

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

Hi Trey,

I believe you've cracked it, I checked the interior and only found 1-2 small errors now. Please acccept my recommendation for promotion to Interiors.
Someone with the right permissions should be along to add you to the usergroup and you'll have forum access on downloads and interior forums.
Welcome aboard!

Lord Berandas
PT Modder

Post by Lord Berandas »

Yay, it's great to see new people joining. Congratz!

Return to “Modder Showcase”