Things I've worked on

Interested in joining? Show off your skills here
SYMBIOTE DINOSAUR
Forumite

Things I've worked on

Post by SYMBIOTE DINOSAUR »

I've been away from modding for a while but I wanted to show an exterior I worked on of Ald ruhn. A while ago I wanted to expand the town more and make it into more of a fantastic city, I used a lot of assets from TR data though.
Attachments
REALISTICREDORAN.ESP
(611.43 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Those who fear death will never truly enjoy life.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Welcome back.

I had a quick glimpse at your mod and I must say your city layout for Ald'Ruhn does not look too bad for a large town. You certainly made for some interesting height-variation. What I don't like about it, is how it is enclosed by those straight walls in a rectangular way. However, the walls are technically well-done with the tiling and how you accomodated to the terrain.

You need to be more concerned about the microlevel-details in your city. There is rugged terrain almost everywhere that needs to be smoothed. And there is a hell lot of floating objects around. There is a tad too many statues and the nord wells are not a good fit for a Redoran City in the Ashlands. But I would say that this is not a bad start for a first exterior and I'd be happy to see you improving at it. :)

Edit: IMPORTANT: For a proper exterior showcase, you must create at least 6 connected exterior cells from scratch, which you must raise from seaground level. It is not sufficient to edit vanilla content for becoming exterior modder.

SYMBIOTE DINOSAUR
Forumite

So just make an island in the middle of nowhere?

SYMBIOTE DINOSAUR
Forumite

here is a small piece of land I made near solstheim it has a coast and a forest.
Attachments
exterior.ESP
(368.01 KiB) Downloaded 305 times

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

It's very small still, but it looks promising for a start. There is some nice detailling on the little grove.

Make sure to increase the size of your island to, at least, 6 cells. It's important to show that you know how to design and detail a larger piece of land on your own from scratch. Showing that you have a grasp of the overall picture, but at the same time the ability and patience to put a lot of detail into single places, as shown in your file above, is mainly what it is all about. With a larger piece of land, it's also easier to smooth your terrain properly. At the moment the peaks of the terrain are very sharp, they need to be smoothed a lot.

SYMBIOTE DINOSAUR
Forumite

Maybe I'll just do an interior showcase. It takes me to long to make a giant landmass and I don't want to make one just for a showcase.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

SYMBIOTE DINOSAUR wrote:Maybe I'll just do an interior showcase. It takes me to long to make a giant landmass and I don't want to make one just for a showcase.
Yeah, I know that feel. I had some moments of doubt when I was working on my showcase too, it's a massive effort, but very rewarding in the long run, I'd say. Interior showcase is less time consuming for sure, so you are probably right about starting with it. :P At any rate, we'll check out what you come up with, this grove had some potential for sure. :geek:

Return to “Modder Showcase”