Moritius' Showcase

Interested in joining? Show off your skills here
Moritius
PT Modder

Moritius' Showcase

Post by Moritius »

It's the time for me to make my own showcase thread, as I'm there anyway working on some interiors for Lyithdonea (two of them are added to current alpha).

I've made (surprise) a small tomb. Entrance is outside of Balmora, near Silt Strider port.
Attachments
interior_showcase.ESP
(70.44 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
<ThomasRuz> A cleansing potion, with a nasty side-effect
<rotouns> Drain Spear 50 / 3600s
<ThomasRuz> We shall call it... the potion of impotency!

Moritius
PT Modder

Post by Moritius »

Hey, thanks for feedback. I wasn't sure what should I do, since there's no guide how to do interior showcase (or I can't find it). Y' know, I'm relatively new to such a big modding projects. I mean I never thought someday I will attempt to join.
So, there will be new file soon :).

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

There should be a pretty solid guide for interior showcases on the Tamriel Rebuilt website somewhere. They just moved house, so you may have to look in their archive site.

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Hey Moritius,

Check this out. I have no idea why this is in the news section. We used to have a whole section dedicated to tutorials.

Moritius
PT Modder

Post by Moritius »

I'm not this type new user (after all I took part in some Polish modding competition and made some claims for ModTown 2015 :P) but thanks anyway - this part about lights is very useful :).

Edit///One screen of my WIP. Atm 126 objects.

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/5rEMDVE.jpg[/hsimg]

Moritius
PT Modder

Post by Moritius »

A little teaser.
[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/yTC4Ka4.jpg[/hsimg]

Atm I'm like 2/3 done. Around tuesday I'll upload it. Probably.

Moritius
PT Modder

Post by Moritius »

You're right.

Anyway, I think it's finished. About interior fitting exterior... I think upper part is fitting but this exterior sucks :lol:.

Summary
Objects: 196
North marker: Yes
Path Grid: Yes
Illegal to sleep: Yes
Attachments
moritius interior showcase v2.ESP
(15.53 KiB) Downloaded 333 times

Moritius
PT Modder

Post by Moritius »

Overlooked you comment about not linking, sorry (but I've done it to show I have no problem with fitting those things yay :D). Abut cleaning - I've cleaned almost every dirtiness I've made, only this one exterior which I linked with interior, which is cleaned now.
Also, I'm always doing my path griding (but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correcty :lol:), I could tell it's my habit.
Leon wrote:Comment:
I would assume that this NPC who lives here, is an Alchemist student who is also a Rock'n Roll Skooma junkie. :ugeek:
It was the plan :D.

I think I need to work more with rotation, which is nice because I will improve my skills. Anyway, I hope there's finally made correctly.
Attachments
moritius interior showcase v2_fixed.ESP
(14.96 KiB) Downloaded 332 times

Moritius
PT Modder

Post by Moritius »

It's like I accidentally discarded some changes.
And, thanks :D.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

And promoted!

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Welcome aboard!
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Moritius
PT Modder

Post by Moritius »

Moritius
PT Modder

Post by Moritius »

I'm curious, is somewhere any tutorial about landmass vetrex painting? I'm thinking about doing my exterior showcase but I suck when I need to make proper vertex painting :lol:.

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

There's not really much to it. Usually you'd want to use either grey or natural colors like dark brown or maybe green. Something between 80-100 for statics works best. Just set the radius to 2 and click/drag away. You'll get the hang of it. Might want to use white as a secondary and erase using right-clicks if you're not pleased with results.

Adding a light grey like 121 around roads and such adds a very nice, subtle touch.

Moritius
PT Modder

Post by Moritius »

Messing with ideas. As I wrote in thread "Northren Goldcoast", I've made some cactus plant and i think it could be one of my modelling showcases ;).
Based on ferocactus/echinocereus (or echinopsis, they're somehow similar) genus. Now I'm thinking about variation with flower.

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/aWQpbpM.jpg[/hsimg]
Attachments
cactus.7z
(306.96 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

That doesn't look bad. Couple of things:
  • Your model still has hard edges. You need to set the faces to smooth, otherwise it will look bad with in-engine lighting.
  • For small details like those spikes, it might be better to use an alpha plane (or a couple of alpha planes set up crosswise, like with the grass meshes).
  • Your model is too symmetrical. In the case of flora (and most man-made things as well) it's usually better to introduce some asymmetrical details to make them more believable.
  • The texture is a bit too bland and visually uninteresting. I'm not sure if the color would work that well in the northern gold coast, either: it might be better to try for a dramatic reddish or purple tint.
  • You can also liven it up by applying some vertex paint to make shadows, discolorations etc.
  • Keep in mind the way the model has to be used. In this case, the lower spikes might make it difficult to place the mesh without causing clipping issues.
EDIT: remember that there are also cactus plants in the Tribunal expansion. It might be worthwhile to have a look at their models.

Moritius
PT Modder

Post by Moritius »

Thanks for review. Tbh it's still a WIP, I wanted to simply show what I have in mind :D.
Infragris wrote:Your model still has hard edges. You need to set the faces to smooth, otherwise it will look bad with in-engine lighting.
Noted.
For small details like those spikes, it might be better to use an alpha plane (or a couple of alpha planes set up crosswise, like with the grass meshes).
Noted, will experiment with. Also minor thing I want to state (as hardcore cactus lover :D). Cactus plants have spines, not spikes. Sikes are produced by (mostly) epiderma, while spines ate transformed leaves or offshots ;).
Your model is too symmetrical. In the case of flora (and most man-made things as well) it's usually better to introduce some asymmetrical details to make them more believable.
Noted, although collumnar/spherical cacti have tendences to grow symmetrical (http://www.stoneycreekcacti.net/uploads ... 7_orig.jpg). Will try to do something with that.
The texture is a bit too bland and visually uninteresting. I'm not sure if the color would work that well in the northern gold coast, either: it might be better to try for a dramatic reddish or purple tint.
Will try to do some modifications.
Keep in mind the way the model has to be used. In this case, the lower spikes might make it difficult to place the mesh without causing clipping issues.
I simply overlooked it, was late in night and was sleepy af :D.
EDIT: remember that there are also cactus plants in the Tribunal expansion. It might be worthwhile to have a look at their models.
Yeah, and Sweetbarrel is symmetrical (mostly, only flower buds are not symmetrical) :D.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

For the symmetry, it isn't needed to have it dramatically banana-shaped or anything like that. Just a slight offset in the curvature or the spines should be enough.

Return to “Modder Showcase”