Additional Modelling

Model, texture and sound development of SHotN
worsas
Project Administrator

Additional Modelling

Post by worsas »

Starting a new thread with a misc thing I'm currently working on. I'm trying to establish a stylistic bridge between some Nord stuff as it was seen in vanilla Morrownd (minus Bloodmoon) and our custom assets.

One particular piece of armor, known as nordic ringmail (not the bloodmoon one) has found much too little echoe, I have felt for for while. So I've been trying to replace some of our chainmail stuff with that quaint ringmail setup. I've been unsure about the result for a while, but judge yourself:

The tunic will become part of the greaves instead of being integrated with the cuirass. Mostly, because the greaves have always been underwhelming compared to the other armor parts, when taken individually. Also, with the chainmail removed, it needs that piece of armor to plausibly provide protection. It also circumvents the minor logic issue with the cuirass only being medium-heavy armor.

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

This looks amazing ! I wish I saw a true enchaining fishnet work for armor project and here it is.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

That's badass
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Glad you like it. I made the rings on the face and upper arm areas thicker than seen on the above pictures. They seemed a bit fragile, after all.

According to wikipedia, it seems that ringmail armor has probably never existed in real life history, Though, that doesn't make it necessarily less sympathic to me. It's like the egg-mining in Mw, a surreal thing.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Here is the final version:

I'm probably going to make two variants of the vanilla ringmail armor with differently colored undershirts for our data files.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

After trying to make us a simple variant of the vanilla ringmail shirt, things ended up more involving. So we have got a little, new armor set now.

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

Wow, this is a very atmospheric set, especially boots took my attention. I like the chains getting well along with rest of an armor, even if they play no main role.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Damn. Great stuff as usual. There's something incredibly 'Skyrim' about the last one.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I'm currently struggling a bit about our redguard armor, which we'll have to change a bit now. I have already started to change the chestarea by removing the golden straps and adding a lamellar armor instead.

But I'm still unsure about the overall picture. So I made a crude paintover of the model. Let me know what you think about it.

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

That white cloth is presumably great for keeping the dust out.
I like it!
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Looks great already! As for further suggestsions: maybe you could make the collar bigger (reaching to like 1/3 of the cuirass), splitted for two parts and add some studs, like here or here? I generally think this could use more vivid colours, some azures and reds, like eastern clothes of our world (1 2 3 4 5). If you end splitting the collar, maybe let's have Westly's orange gem from PC's Redguard turban as a brooch pinning the halves? Some tassels hanging from the collar/belt or the cuirass's edges would be great too imho (1 2 3 4 5). Surely not all of these should be used together, as it would end too ornate then, but I'm just tossing up some ideas. :P

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

This is what it's looking like right now. Greaves are a bit plain still, but I can't think of a good-looking addition. I might be going with the current version.

I added your tassels-idea. Also, the helm has been made more protective. I'll think about your other suggestions, but don't feel offended, if I don't use them.

Return to “SHotN Asset Development”