Markarth interior set discussion

Model, texture and sound development of SHotN
roerich
Cruel Warlord

Markarth interior set discussion

Post by roerich »

Some things I personally would enjoy:

- The versatility of Sky_In_Redguard. Tileable wall, floor, ceiling, pillar, trans pieces, making it possible to customize the interior almost without limits
- I want the set to focus on large hall like interiors, but there should be pieces to create smaller (In_Redguard-like) rooms as well. A mix between Sky_In_Nord_House_Wood and the Redguard set.
- Several wall types and at least two floor types; common wood, ornamental wood (perhaps with a few variations) and stone walls, plank and stone floors.
- Two or three different ceiling meshes, similar to how Sky_In_Redguard_Tile_AddOn_03 is used.

Inspiration
Spoiler
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

These are some fairly interesting inspiration pictures. I'll see about incorporating a similar feeling in this interior set.

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

This is how I would share cells for a Markarth house interiors. The tiny picture on the right is an example of arched wall appearing in cellar, just a random idea. The rest of cellar modules are prepared in the traditional way.

I'm opened for suggestions.

I like the above references very much and will use them while creating construction attachments and railings etc.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

This is looking promising so far, I like your plans! It's important that the single-shell pieces, like for small houses, are floorless so that you can makeshift with them and make different cell layouts.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

Exactly, was also wondering if it's necessary to fuse stairs with cells... but maybe leaving stairs detached from walls will bring more varieties and uniqueness in editing interiors.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I would subdivide the house into less tiles, horizontally, with two cells where there are three in your draft. Right now interiors are going to be very big and the smallest cell at the slanted has little purpose. The height-subdivion seems ok, though.

But everything else seems mature so far.

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

worsas wrote:I would subdivide the house into less tiles, horizontally, with two cells where there are three in your draft. Right now interiors are going to be very big and the smallest cell at the slanted has little purpose. The height-subdivion seems ok, though.
It was my first thought at the begining, but then I was distracted by the height of a building in a comparison to a typical morrowind cell size. Anyway I will try your method too, seems less complicated :D

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

The image link appears to be dead, has the site gone down?
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

still works good for me, you don't need to be bothered, I do it in a different way that the image shows.

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

Oki so, 50% of a stuff is prepared, i will do some screens in CS when i finish cells with a roof

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Wonderful! I'm very excited to see some screens.

And no stress with this, the exterior is still far from completed. :-D
- Taniquetil

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

Looking forward to a Markarth set as well! The next city that the claims are put up for, the better :D

Really excited about Markath. Definitely looking forward to building some of those interiors.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

I should finish it up in several days from now and do some testing and screenshots :)

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Terrific news! I'm looking very much forward to seeing these.

The house placement is finished for all houses, so in theory interior claims could be put up soon
- Taniquetil

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

This is insane, I didn't suppose I will do this THAT long! :D I am almost finishing, (2 constructions left) but it wouldn't be as modular as I proposed at the very beginning, though there will be interesting walls sharing the room. I should be ready in the evening.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Lovely! I'm looking very much forward to that.
- Taniquetil

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

okay, so...

Here are the full interiors of 7 houses + college + guild house (not everything included in a screen)

Additionaly there are some constructions that share the space for rooms. These are arched empores, side walls (full and opened) and a marvelous floor face for multi-storey houses which separately has a ceiling module. To cover any uncomfortable glitches we have a tricky little bastard - a long wooden floor plank. Thoughtfully angled, It can be used especially to make travel between rooms more accessible.

About modular interior : there is a complex cellar set with arched connection between walls and a ceiling.

Meshes shaded thanks to blender.

MAIN ISSUES:

- Not too much variety of wooden decorative motives has been used

- Decorative constructions may not snap correctly to the interiors, I recommend to place it with this feature turned off.

- Think we need a better or another staircase

Sorry for more issues that you approach, That was a complicated thing to master so there may be some more that I didn't capture. Hopefully it will be useful anyhow :)
Attachments
Markarth_in.rar
(858.33 KiB) Downloaded 298 times

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

Now these look extremely interesting! Going to try them out in the CS today, if I figure out how to import the models. ;)

Is there an interior wooden door model? Or does one of the existing ones suffice to fit this set?

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

Sky_in_markar_house_06 roof does not fit the interior walls(!)

Otherwise, the set seems pretty good -- I had a toy around with the pieces and the decorative arch bits seem especially cool.

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

As far as I remember There is already a wooden arch portal in Data. Also all textures appear in previous Data releases. There are 3 new decorative textures I forgot to exclude from rar as I didn't use them on models (they may be useful other time).

About not fitting roof - I'll upload a fix soon.
Attachments
Sky_in_markar_house_06_fix.rar
Fix for a house 06
(72.68 KiB) Downloaded 252 times

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

These wooden decorations look amazing. Nice work there. You were probably right about making the main interior shells in one piece. The subdivision in tiles was a bit problematic, i felt. Not sure about some of the combined houses now. Roerich will have to give his input on that.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Amazing stuff! Great work on this. I agree with the feedback so far, especially the issue of subdivision in tiles. You very easily run into problems with this, the way the proportions of the house shells and the decorations are set up.

If possible I also like the floor to be darker. Perhaps even darker than the walls.

Another thing, the guild hall is supposed to be three seperate interiors. That's my fault for not being clear!

Hope the criticism isn't taking too much away from what you've accomplished here. I'm really impressed
- Taniquetil

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

roerich wrote:
If possible I also like the floor to be darker. Perhaps even darker than the walls.

Another thing, the guild hall is supposed to be three seperate interiors...
Not a problem to change the floor, I will come up with a darker variants if you all guys agree.

three separate interiors.. my bad, I forgot about it :mrgreen: ''

worsas wrote:You were probably right about making the main interior shells in one piece.
Yup, I got cringed with my idea of subdivision as soon as I started to cut the walls... although It was possible to adapt new textures to common vanilla cells and add some edits. But It wouldn't make the indoors spacious and scaled properly at the same time.

Hope I will be able to update it tonight, the worst on Monday. But maybe there will be some other issues so I can fix them at once later.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I think my main problem is that the different meshes doesn't fit together very well. Examples:

- The houses aren't X number of floor tiles long, more like X,3
- The construction/decoration meshes aren't two walls (plus a floor) high
- The door wall isn't the same height as the regular walls
- Etc.

I have some other additions or corrections I'd like to see, I'll post a list later.

You can make some very nice interiors with these, but it takes a lot of extra work and makeshifting to make it work

Again, I hope I'm not being overly critical, I've been testing the set all evening and enjoyed it very much.
- Taniquetil

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

oh i't's okay, we all want it to have a proper quality to set everything up with no bigger problems :) I just think loudly before you put your testing list: Should I rescale houses and change some meshes to make them more fitting to each other? Do you have an idea what would be my best reference module from Data in this case?

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I'm terribly busy right now, but I think some rescaling of the houses would be in place. Worsas is probably more skilled than me in what reference modules you could use.The height and scale of the wall meshes are good though!

Another thing: I'd love for every house to be floor-less. With the large floor mesh it should be easy to correct for houses without basements, and for houses with basement it would make many things easier.

I've included my attempts with this set: edit: note that i had to change some of the mesh IDs

Attachments
sky_markarthint_test.ESP
(37.84 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
- Taniquetil

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

wow, you already did something more beautiful from these few interior assetes ! I will take a look at this as a reference too while changing the models.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Roerich, you are invaluable. spineinside, do you need my help still or do you have a better idea of the needed changes by now? I would probably just edit the tiles directly anyway instead of sending them back to you once more.

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

Damn roerich, that's great looking. More than I managed.

Markarth is gonna be great!

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Thanks guys. I think this city will turn out great.

Btw, worsas - I could really use some more Sky_In_Floor variations.
I reckon this should be a fairly easy task. :-D It would really allow for some nice variations in interiors, and I think Nord interiors should often have a soil floor in parts of the house.

Specifically I'd like to see:
- Tx_Skyrim_Dirt_05
- Tx_Sky_dirt04
- Tx_Skyrim_Dirt_02
- Tx_Skyrim_Dirt_01
- Tx_Skyrim_Beaten_Path_01
- Taniquetil

Return to “SHotN Asset Development”