Markarth interior set discussion

Model, texture and sound development of SHotN
worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Sure, making those pieces isn't a big deal.

There is one thing I haven't been sure about for a long time: The dominance of Elfstone keep in the landscape. probably the biggest part about it is how it competes with mount snowhawk nearby.

It's not a real problem, however, just something that stood out to me for a long time. So, I have tried out how elfstone keep looks like when lowered in height a bit, but decide for yourself what you think of it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223 ... nekeep.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

I quite like how you can see elfstone keep in the distance at certain points around the reach (distant land permitting). I wouldn't be mad if it were lowered like that though, it's not drastic. And would help the tallness of the nearby mountain for sure.
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I agree, I'd like to see some changes here as well. The whole ruin is probably due for a makeover - not just on the vertical side.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

worsas wrote:Roerich, you are invaluable. spineinside, do you need my help still or do you have a better idea of the needed changes by now? I would probably just edit the tiles directly anyway instead of sending them back to you once more.
I would gladly appreciate your help in this. I have a computer detox until tuesday so i wouldn't be quick in implementing changes soon.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Hey Spineinside, I'll see about fixing the markarth interiors next. I only felt a strong urge to complete the ayleid objects I was on about first.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Sounds great! No rush.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Here comes the first small pile of new and modified objects.
Attachments
markarth_interiors_updated_1.7z
(76.13 KiB) Downloaded 304 times

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

you are an antic Deus Ex Machina in it's good meaning, spectacularly helping solving my problems each time, worsas ! Thank you again for taking care of it :)

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

Wow, all the progress on this is very exciting. Looking at this new set gives me the itch to make interiors again. :)

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Luckily there will be plenty to go around. This set will be used in Falkirstad and Beorichal as well.
- Taniquetil

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

guys guys,

just finishing up my school in 2 days and coming back to finish this set :oops:

Edit: Nevermind, Worsas already did it !

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

BTW Worsas, I don't have access to the CS right now, but I'll see if I can remember my proposals for changes.

Meshes
- A railing mesh the length of one small floor tile
- A floor plank the length of one small floor tile
- A doorframe the height of one regular wall (the smaller ones)

Textures
- I'd like to see a darker plank floor, though that might just be a personal preference. I think it'd look great and play well with Nord_Up and Nord_Mid sets.
- Same with the basement floor. I'd prefer stone blocks or an adobe floor. IMO the current texture is too bright and clean, and quickly looks awkward when the rotated pieces don't match.

Also, working around the large pillars fixed to the house meshes can be a bit bothersome. But they look good on the outside, and the new textures for the interior versions are great. Everything about this set is really awesome.
- Taniquetil

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

A first attempt at a finished interior with this set. This shows a relatively normal Markarth interior, perhaps a bit on the upper end of middle class scale.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Attachments
Sky_Reference_Cell_Markarth_01.ESP
(25.56 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
- Taniquetil

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

O christ, I like it very much ! Looks very dark and majestic, all decorations will ensure a lot of unique interiors !

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Needless to say, but good work here. We should link to this file for as long as the reference cell is not in the data.esm yet.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
PT Modder

Post by TerrifyingDaedricFoe »

Stunning.

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

This house is extremely comfy and the new wood textures look great. Markarth claims soon I hope... I'd like some houses to build. :)
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Hopefully some houses would be available soon! Do feel free to play around with the set, there's going to be a lot of commoner interiors where you can always move the door and window placement afterwards.

I'm messing around with one of the larger shells. Here's my WIP take on Hralgar Hall, a meadhall frequented by Companions and adventurers.

ImageImageImage
Attachments
Sky_Int_Markarth_hralgar hall.ESP
(40.9 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
- Taniquetil

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

That looks cool as shit. Excellent!

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Having so much fun with this set, but I noticed some oddities. :geek:

There's an issue of the size of the shells. I know that it's common and fine that shells usually are larger than their exterior counterparts, but the Markarth shells are currently unbelievably large.

This is Sky_Ex_Markarth_House_03 scaled to 0.70. Personally I think anything between 0.70 to 0.85 would be acceptable and believable, but the current size is simply enormous. Show below is the same shell at 1.0:

Another thing while I'm at it: The "Floor planks" that are placed at the bottom of the shells are protruding quite a bit, making it hard to place exterior doorframes and sometimes furniture. Might be a personal irk, but I think making them a bit smaller would be really helpful!

Finally, a doorframe for the basement would be a nice addition. Hopefully that's it. :D

Oh and you forgot to include the door in the data update. :P
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

The interior shells are adjusted so that the gaps between the horizontal beams roughly match the height of a story. If you insist, I'll change that, but I like to have these horizontal beams reflect the stories of the house myself rather than being a realistic match of the exterior dimensions. I doubt that people will really pay that much attention to these things

On the other things. I can't believe it, but I forgot to add the doorframes aswell, despite having made them and I also didn't include your reference cell. My mind doesn't work as intended lately. :roll:

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Point taken. You're right, it's not certain that it's that noticeable. The interiors work well, after all.

:-D It's the heat.
- Taniquetil

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

Roerich in your test file, these stairs are not functional (at least for the altmer i tested ingame with)

The space above the stairs needs extending.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Well of course they're not functional for an Altmer, that's the whole idea!

No, thanks for the heads up
- Taniquetil

Return to “SHotN Asset Development”