Direnni Clutter

Model, texture and sound development of SHotN
worsas
Project Administrator

Direnni Clutter

Post by worsas »

I would like to get the rest of the direnni assets modelled within the matter of a few weeks. But I have run out of inspiration.

There are a few things I would like to model still:
- Throne
- Shelf
- Small Chest
- Weaponrack
- Oval Mirror
- Magus Console*
- Glass Elixir Bottle
- Glass Bowl
- Glass Goblet
- Key
- Retort
- Mortar
- Direnni Weapons and Armor

The Armor is intended to show a stylistical mixture of TES Elven armor and exquisite plate knight armor. For the weapons there is some kind of concept already, but I appreciate suggestions on them, nevertheless.

The Magus Console will be an apparature standing in the Glass Domes of the fortresses. If you have any ideas on their function or appearance, don't hesitate to put them forth.

If you have any concepts for me to work along, it will be highly appreciated. If any of the modellers around was prepared to help me get all of these modelled, it would be highly appreciated aswell. But I'm fine with doing these all on my own, too.

Thanks in advance.

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

First off, there's no need to rush yourself, Worsas, though as always your work effort is appreciated/inspirational.

I could try sketching something up. I'll see if I can find time/inspiration. Obviously, any clutter should closely match the Direnni's architecture. Ideally, we'd want to highlight the Direnni's identity as an aristocratic merchant culture, along with their magical prowess.

I wouldn't go too overboard on weapons, though. Maybe a set of 6 or 8 at the most. A special model for Direnni books (see this quest thread) would be nice.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Great you're taking it on, I missed stuff like that when I was working on my ruins. Some ideas:
  1. Direnni books sound like a great idea, they may be bound by Wormmouth leather perhaps? If there's someone to carry that out we can have some of them as a rare loot, with local flora drawings inside (ABCs for Barbarians style) together with commentaries around them in daedric alphabet, like in this great mod by Yar-Yulme.
  2. Direnni clan tapestries. I recently started playing Daggerfall (I'm surprised how good that game is btw, it lacks so little to beat Morrowind imho) and took some pictures in Direnni Tower. We should have two sets of each ideally - one well-preserved, to be put in the rooms (hidden? protected?) that haven't been sacked yet, the second set thorn.
    [hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/MtPlgxc.png[/hsimg]
    It would be nice to have with some ornamental rugs in the same color scheme to accompany those I think.
  3. Stationary lamp - an elongated oval in a nest, made of the same material as that roof lamp we have. Something like dwemer urn from TES V, only with some kind of an egg-like shape instead of the actual urn. Maybe coming in two forms - smaller & larger, to put on a desk and on the floor. That Magus Console could be made of these too.
    [hsimg=]http://www.paperconcept.pl/7464-thickbo ... isanki.jpg[/hsimg] [hsimg=]http://images.uesp.net/thumb/f/f4/SR-qu ... siness.jpg[/hsimg]
  4. Broken lamps - both roof and standing. With visible crackings and subdued textures. Generaly some models for broken glass junk is a good idea here I think.
  5. Direnni grate doors - simply our load doors, but openable.
edit: @Roerich wooah! Thanks. Never mind then :)
Last edited by berry on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

berry wrote:Direnni grate doors - simply our load doors, but openable.
Check 'Sky_In_Altmer_Door_01' under the activators tab. ;)
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Thankyou for those suggestions, Berry. Ideas like these are what I've been hoping for. Actually, I didn't merely create this thread to have a personal gap of inspiration filled, but to share the development of these resources with you rather than work on them behind closed door.

To me the tapestries seem like something of the today descendants of the direnni clan, not necessarily something I would like to present in an identical way for the ancient dirennis. But you will notice that I have adopted the bull insignia for the round load doors.

I like your idea for direnni lamps. The only issue with it is that I thought about the lamps as needing to be connected to the building, pulling their energy from the glass dome and the magus console. They aren't intended to be the same thing as those light-spending crystals in Ayleid ruins that are kept within similar supports. But with our grate stuff being present everywhere, I should probably make use of such stylistical elements.

@Yeti: I'm certainly open for any concept drawings or other vizualisations of things you consider fitting within these ruins. If needed I'll take my time to do them well, rather than overly rushed. The only real reason for rushing with anything is purely the fact that the direnni stuff has been on my todo-list for a very very long time and that I feel disabled to put considerable effort on anything else, even outside of modding, while I have a personal "working unit" running. It always takes me some strength and discipline to interrupt such a flow of work for something else and if I do, it is even harder to get back into the matter again when I want to.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223 ... kshelf.jpg[/hsimg]
[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223 ... /pizza.jpg[/hsimg]

Two furniture objects I created not too long ago. The room set is in a mostly usable state by now, so I intend to continue with some of the above listed clutter.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Gorgeous. Can't wait to play with these! I love the colour scheme you're using.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Like I've said before, great work. Still not sure where front and back are for that shelf, though...

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

These are some new and updated Direnni textures that you could use for any kind of direnni clutter. Uploading these for Berandas and Spineinside, in case they are interested.

I also made a mirror yesterday evening:
[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223 ... _stuff.jpg[/hsimg]
Attachments
direnni_textures.7z
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 340 times

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

That answers my "question" about the shelves too, very clever ;)

I like that mirror, any particular reason why you went with a different texture for the metal parts here? I like it. Makes for good diversity.

Btw, I realize it's probably just there for showcasing purposes, but I suppose we should stick to using Direnni-specific light sources in these interiors unless places are occupied by bandits or some such. I guess Welkynd stones work well, or those magical Direnni lamps that would still work for unknown reasons.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Scamp wrote:That answers my "question" about the shelves too, very clever ;)

I like that mirror, any particular reason why you went with a different texture for the metal parts here? I like it. Makes for good diversity.

Btw, I realize it's probably just there for showcasing purposes, but I suppose we should stick to using Direnni-specific light sources in these interiors unless places are occupied by bandits or some such. I guess Welkynd stones work well, or those magical Direnni lamps that would still work for unknown reasons.
The color difference on the mirror frame is only a difference in vertex color being used. The chest is partly tinted green to make the differing textures match better. I hadn't realised how big the difference was, until now. But I think that some color exchange isn't a bad thing, indeed.

Velkynd Stones would be a possibility. The fleeing Ayleid could have introduced them.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

this bookshelf looks perfect to me,

thanks for sharing textures

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

I am just heating up myself and created sort of random things, there is a drawers and a cup to your consideration.

[hsimg=]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/443x3 ... OnTfho.jpg[/hsimg]
[hsimg=]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/443x3 ... zvxibh.jpg[/hsimg]
[hsimg=]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/443x3 ... Ncqc7t.jpg[/hsimg]

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

This is exactly the kind of thing I've been hoping for. I don't have much to critizise at the moment, except that you should maybe give the cup texture a different (blueish?) tint. For misc objects, you may want to put an additional eye on Sky_Apparatus_DirenniAlembic_01 and Sky_Misc_Direnni_Scales_01 and use the same or a similar material for costlier objects.

At the moment I'm not sure, if I'll be keeping the mirror model, seen on some of my screens above. Maybe only as a quest-related activator, but not as regular object, as it seems weird to think of it as a regular staple in interiors (the model isn't that great, either). Right now I'm looking into a possible weaponrack... We'll see how that goes.

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

no doubt, cups would be better with a little ray of colour. I'll upload files whenever I will have a chance.

There is a celling lamp of a Direnni set that I think I noticed in Data file. I liked very much and saw that alembic pretty refers to it. I'll take a look at them next week (when i'll be back from holidays and use my working staion)

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

How about this weaponrack here? It tends to get visually lost in the dungeon corridors, but I'm mostly happy with it, though. Similar racks could be holding the occasional Welkynd Stones. Maybe there could be general holders for worthwhile objects aswell, made with the same style and material.

[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223 ... onrack.jpg[/hsimg]

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

I like it, along with everything else posted her so far - though I partly think the mirror might not fit as a commonly used asset.

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

which works best for you?

cup 1 - white
cup 2 - orange
cup 3 - voilet

[hsimg=]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/661x4 ... tVrBSX.jpg[/hsimg]
Attachments
D_cup_3.nif
(13.91 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
D_cup_2.nif
(13.92 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
D_cup_1.nif
(13.92 KiB) Downloaded 328 times

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

White or violet, I'd say. Looks great! The orange one reminds me a bit too much of the vanilla de_peach set.
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

We could, for whatever reason, have both color variants. I think the very right one works the best, though.

How about making a variant of the cup with the upper half bended to the outside, a bit similar to what Sky_Misc_Silver_Bowl_01 has?

uno Dos Dres
Forumite

Post by uno Dos Dres »

For me very left is awesome) purple looks very unnatural to morrowind colour scheme.

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

Here comes a drawer, needed to make some changes in uvw before uploading a file.
[hsimg=]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/443x3 ... kShSf6.jpg[/hsimg]
How about making a variant of the cup with the upper half bended to the outside, a bit similar to what Sky_Misc_Silver_Bowl_01 has?
it would fit i think, will try soon.

Cups:
Seems like a white one looks best, I will prepare another color variant in a meantime.
Attachments
DIRENNI DRAWERS kopia.dds
(682.8 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
D_Drawers.nif
(19.54 KiB) Downloaded 307 times

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

A minor misunderstanding: NCO is only for objects that are supposed to have no collision at all, like grass or other small plants. For objects like this drawer you usually set up a collision object or you do without one, if your object is relatively low-poly like this drawers.

I also took the liberty of increasing the scale of the drawers a bit (~1.8) to put it into a similar dimension with the other furniture pieces. I hope it's fine with you. Test screen:
[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223 ... ers_cs.jpg[/hsimg]

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

ouuch, haha, believe me... sometimes people are not really thinking deeply about this what they're doin xD.. forgive my NCO gallop...
I will edit it soon along with scale change.

Would you like me to brighten up textures?

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Would you like me to brighten up textures?
You don't need to. It has the same lightness the chest has and it's only much darker for being further away from the lightsource. The lighting tends to be a bit odd in original MW and cs.

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

here is an update (cup 2 is kinda dirty sea blue)
Attachments
tex_direnni_cup_1_cup_2_drawer.zip
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 328 times
mesh_direnni_cup_1_cup_2_drawer.zip
(16.58 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Last edited by spineinside on Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Thankyou very much for these. I feel much more motivated to make some more stuff myself now.

There are three minor issues with your cup models, which you don't need to fix yourself. I can fix them in a matter of seconds, but I'll still mention them for the future:
- One of your two cups points to the wrong texture (or you included a different texture than the one you intended to include)
- Both cups appear to be slightly rotated, so they cannot be put straightly on a surface.
- Not an error per se: The material color should be all white, preferably. Non-white material color tends to make the model look out-of-place. I have changed the material color to white myself before adding them to the CS, since they almost turned completely black with the old material settings and in the already dark environment. I didn't want to mention it before since it is a very small point and I'm used to fixing these things for other people.

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

worsas wrote:
- One of your two cups points to the wrong texture (or you included a different texture than the one you intended to include)
True, fixed above :)
worsas wrote: - Both cups appear to be slightly rotated, so they cannot be put straightly on a surface.
definately possible because I focused on positioning and not checking rotation... I could modify it by mistake..

worsas wrote: - Not an error per se: The material color should be all white, preferably. Non-white material color tends to make the model look out-of-place. I have changed the material color to white myself before adding them to the CS, since they almost turned completely black with the old material settings and in the already dark environment. I didn't want to mention it before since it is a very small point and I'm used to fixing these things for other people.
It's good you actually mentioned now, will remember about it in the future, the less things you fix for the others the more time you get.

here comes another mirror if you find it useful:
[hsimg=]http://imageshack.com/a/img537/3379/Kjj6fB.jpg[/hsimg]

pivot is in the center of the object.
Attachments
Direnni Wall Mirror.zip
(361.66 KiB) Downloaded 285 times

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

For my above mirror I have been using an environmental texture that reacts to your movement and angle of view. It is a somewhat hackish way of giving the impression of a true mirror that might not work the same way with openmw anylonger.

I'm not sure on the mirrors, generally. We might want to leave them alone until we can do them properly with openmw or we try to give your mirror the same behaviour and make an altered version for openmw later on. If you are curious you can have a look at how I set up the above mirror and what it does ingame (preferably with MCP enabled). This is not to say your mirror looks bad. I like it, but I'm not sure how well the static mirror texture works to give the impression that you are looking at a mirror ingame. I haven't tried it yet.
Attachments
mirror.7z
(158.95 KiB) Downloaded 297 times

Return to “SHotN Asset Development”