Yeti's Writing Emporium

Off-topic, you know the score. Introductions here!
Yeti
SHotN Jarl

Yeti's Writing Emporium

Post by Yeti » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:22 am

I'm sure many of you have noticed that I have a tendency to drop off the radar around here, and that my modding activity hasn't been quite what it used to be. A large part of why this is the case is that I've been working as a freelance writer, specializing in games coverage for the time being. I'm not at all sure I can actually turn this kind of work into a career, but for now it's something I'm trying out. I gives me work to do as I figure out just what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. At the moment, I also have a part-time job at a restaurant, though an average of 40 hours a week doesn't exactly feel like part time to me!

Anyway, I figured I'd share the various pieces I've managed to scribble out over the past several months, just to give everyone an idea of what I've been up to.

Game Informer - (as an intern during Fall 2015)

Dodging Dinos, Defecating, and Dying in Ark: Survival Evolved

Can't Look Away: The Evolution Of Modern First-Person Horror

Want To Try Modding Fallout 4? – Here's A Long-Time Modder’s Lessons

Playboy - (These links shouldbe safe for work. Playboy went non-nude months ago)

The Castro Assassination Mission and 5 Other Times Video Games Pissed Off Actual Dictators

Why Story Matters in Puzzle Games

SHODAN Lives Again: Rebuilding the Legendary ‘System Shock’

Paste Magazine

Five Lessons Star Wars Game Designers Can Learn From LucasArt's Prequel Games

Outfoxed: Star Fox Can’t Dodge Its '90s Roots, But It Can Still Evolve

The Deadly Tower of Monsters Is A Love Letter To Classic Sci-Fi Schlock

Five Lessons Nintendo Can Learn From the GameCube

5 Pioneering Shooters That Deserve a Doom-style Makeover

So far, my best work is definitely the survival horror article I did at Game Informer, along with the System Shock and Deadly Tower of Monsters features. I'm not a big fan of list articles in general, but I hope the ones I've written are at least half decent.

worsas
Project Administrator

Re: Yeti's Writing Emporium

Post by worsas » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:12 pm

I have just recently tried out Ark: Survival Evolved, but its mmo-mechanics and the immersion-destroying way gathering of basic resources and crafting objects is implemented, gives me a hard time staying on it. Just before it, I have been playing Dinosystem for a bit and probably got used to a certain amount of over-realism.

I'm not a typical gamer or one who reads this kind of magazine, but it all reads well for me so far.

roerich
Project Administrator

Re: Yeti's Writing Emporium

Post by roerich » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:54 pm

Impressive stuff at first glance, Yeti. I'm looking forward to reading through these. It seems like you combined your talent and interest in modding with an actual paying part time job. :mrgreen:

Return to “Off Topic”