Screenshots with no Bethesda resources

All TES III modding discussion
Darklocq
Forumite

Screenshots with no Bethesda resources

Post by Darklocq »

Has anyone made, or in a good position to make, a series of gameplay screenshots with all-PT/TR resources, and nothing Bethesda-copyrighted in them?

We could use them for the OpenMW, ProjectTamriel, and Tamriel Rebuilt articles at Wikipedia, with the projects' permission. It'll be easier to secure that permission (if it's strictly necessary – I've not looked at your licensing yet, which may be GPL/GFDL or Creative Commons for all I know) than from Bethesda/Zenimax.
Last edited by Darklocq on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

This sounds very complicated and work-intensive, at least as long as the screenshots are supposed to be ingame-screenshots, since there are thousands of objects within Tamriel_Data by now. Would it be sufficient to make Construction set screenshots instead?

What is the purpose of the screenshots? Displaying the range of assets or showing individual pieces and their purpose in the gameworld?

It's difficult to 100% cleanly separate our contents from Bethesdas work. There are retexes of Bethesdas Morrowind models, for example. There are also remakes of assets from later sequels that are difficult to tell apart from Bethesdas originals, which may look like a heavy copyright infringement to outsiders.

In case of ingame-screenshots, it means that absolutely none of bethesdas work may be on the screenshots, including such things as the vanilla skybox?

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I think you are misunderstanding the question, worsas. As far as I understand it, it isn't about showing all Tamriel_Data assets, but just having a screenshot where no Bethesda assets are used - from ground textures and items to, yes, skybox.

This could be done, but probably not in any of our existing work. We usually mix TD assets and vanilla assets in both exteriors and interiors; I highly doubt you could find somewhere with absolutely no vanilla items.

The issues worsas mentions in regards to retextures and remakes of assets from later games is also relevant. I mean, it could be done. With some work, and some time spent finding assets that are 100% our own (there's plenty of those), and finally putting them together in a coherent and aesthetically pleasing scenario.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

I think you could set up a colovian barrow with all-new assets: it's a new style that's not inspired by any vanilla or oblivion tilesets, and there's a bunch of clutter, containers etc. built from scratch for it. The only problem would be creatures (who are draugr ripoffs) and lights (even our newly added candles still use the vanilla flame textures, technically).

Darklocq
Forumite

Post by Darklocq »

Oh, it could be a construction-set thing that looks convincing. A Colovian Barrow with some PT-only creature would probably work. Maybe also an indoor place with an NPC (someone's player home?), and an outdoor shot (with a non-vanilla sky texture). The purpose of the screens is to display OpenMW in "working condition", not to illustrate actual game play of Morrowind or SHotN or any other "real game". The OpenMW article already had screens of crude polygons and other junk created in OpenMW-CS, but they didn't actually serve an encyclopedic purpose (to the contrary, they strongly implied the engine was only capable of rendering stuff that looked like it was from 1986).

I've turned to PT and TR for this, because I know that Tamriel_Data has an enormous amount of new stuff in it.

Return to “General Discussion”