Southern Flora

Any province related discussion not fitting into other categories
SGMonkey
Site Admin

Southern Flora

Post by SGMonkey »

So, starting this topic to discuss what flora would be found in the southern parts of High Rock. Namely, the area surrounding Daggerfall. Say, from The Ilessan Hills south to the waters edge.

I will be categorising the plants into harvest-able and non harvest-able, as well as adding possible in game effects. I will also be splitting the harvestable plans into farmed/cultivated and natural growing plants

Harvestable Plants (Container Plants)
Natural Effects: Effects: Effects: Poison, Drain Health. That sort of thing Effects: Effects: Effects:
Notes: Honey produced with pollen from the flowers of this plant can be quite poisonous Farmed/Cultivated Effects: Effects: Effects: Effects: Effects: Effects:
Notes:May also grow wild
None Harvestable

This list is a WIP. More will likely be added.
Also, please remember this is only a list of flora for the southern regions of High Rock. A topic will be made for the Wrothgarian Mountains and other regions also.

Note: I am planning on changing the detail panels appearance to make it more readable.

JackTheStripper
PT Modder

Post by JackTheStripper »

I've gone through the ingredients found in TESII, and selected the ones which I think are likely to be found in Southern High Rock. This information is based on the properties of the plants/tress et cetara in real life, and although I don't think it is necessary to keep things strict to the real world, I do think we might as well take advantage of such information to help create a more consistent and coherent set of flora throughout the different regions. As with most things, there are a plethora of different species nestled under the common name given; I have tried to create a general and plausible set of rules for each plant/tree et cetara. I have also tried to provide some appropriate images, firstly, are the icons from TESII, and following them are various images which will hopefully, inspire some creativity.

So below is some ideas for flora which might be found in Southern High Rock, based on the ingredients found in TESII, and my reasoning why they would be found there.

Aloe Vera (individual plant - harvestable)
• Two models – flowered and non-flowered
• Southern High Rock
• Could be found as potted plants in buildings
• Aloe Vera is a succulent, flourishing in temperate conditions, with full sun and little water
• Harvested ingredient – Aloe, Aloe Leaves
• Very common, and cheap
• Suggested alchemical effects – restore health, as it is in TESII, restore fatigue, resist common disease, and cure poison
• The reason for these properties is based on the fact that Aloe Vera is often used in both traditional and herbal medicines, as a ‘cure-all’, and is generally regarded as having no adverse side-effects
• Special Flora of Tamriel by Hardin mentions Aloe being used to create a restore fatigue potion

Flowering Aloe Vera

Amber (harvestable)
• All High Rock
• Amber can be harvested from a variety of different trees which grow in almost all climates, therefore I was thinking we could have to ability to harvest amber from many species of trees, but have the chance of successfully harvesting as fairly low
• Harvested ingredient – Amber
• Rare, and fairly expensive – reflecting its 100gold price in TESII
• Suggested alchemical effects – resist fire, as in TESII, fire, shield, restore health, and detect animal
• Resist fire, fire shield – amber is associated with fire due to its colouration
• Restore health – was traditionally used as a generic medicine
• Detect animal – could pay homage to the animals sometimes trapped in amber

Insect In Amber
Amber Sap

Bamboo (clumps of individual plants - harvestable)
• Majority of High Rock – possibly more Southerly and along the Bjoulase River
• Flourishes in most environments, but not at the extremes of hot, cold, dry or wet
• Harvested ingredient – Bamboo
• Very common, and cheap
• Suggested alchemical effects – restore fatigue, as it is in TESII, poison
• Poison – before bamboo is treated, it contains a toxin which produces cyanide in the gut……

Bamboo, imagined as a clump, not a forest.

Cactus (individual plant - harvestable)
• Many models – different species, flowered and non-flowered
• Southern High Rock and along the Bjoulase River
• A succulent, flourishing in temperate conditions, with full sun and little water
• Harvested ingredient – Cactus Spines, Cactus Fruit
• Very common, and cheap
• Suggested alchemical effects – resist magicka, as it is in TESII, drain intelligence, telekinesis
• Drain intelligence, telekinesis – many species of cacti contain psychoactive agents

Non-flowering Cacti
Flowering Cacti

Fig (individual bush/tree - harvestable)
• Two models – bush/shrub, and tree
• Southern High Rock for the bushes, possibly more trees in wetter regions
• Survives in most environments, but prefers a little more shelter to flourish
• Harvested ingredient – Fig, as in the fruit
• Very common, and cheap
• Suggested alchemical effects – resist fire, as it is in TESII, blind, drain personality, restore health
• Blind, drain personality – figs are a serious eye irritant and skin allergen
• Restore health – fig fruits are a good source of vitamins C and E

Potted Fig Tree
Fig Bushes tend to lie closer to the ground
Some wild varieties of fig have very distinctive and impressive roots

Ginkgo Tree (tree - harvestable)
• Southern High Rock, mainly along the Bjoulase River
• Once found growing in all climates, now restricted to temperate but sheltered conditions
• Harvested ingredient – Gingko Leaves
• Fairly common, and relatively cheap
• Suggested alchemical effects – cure common(?) disease, as it is in TESII, restore fatigue, drain luck, damage health
• Drain luck, damage health – gingko leaves have a plethora of nasty, potentially lethal side-effects, but only to the unlucky few susceptible to it
• Special Flora of Tamriel by Hardin mentions Ginkgo Leaves being used to create a restore fatigue potion

Ginkgo Leaves
Ginkgo Tree

Green Berries (bush - harvestable)
• Thinking of basing these on gooseberries
• Majority of High Rock – grow in most climates, but prefer more rain so perhaps not the extremely dry areas
• Harvested ingredient – Green Goose(?) Berries
• Very common, and cheap
• Suggested alchemical effects – damage health, as it is in TESII, detect animal, drain personality
• Detect animal – gooseberries are susceptible to many pests
• Drain personality – gooseberry bush was slang for pubic hair and considered rude in respected company

Green Gooseberry Fruit
Gooseberry Bush

Nectar
• All High Rock
• Nectar can be harvested from a variety of plants/flowers which grow in almost all climates, therefore I was thinking we could have to ability to extract nectar from many plants/flowers, how this would work, is that when the player activates an appropriate container, firstly, the chance of receiving the primary ingredient would be calculated, and secondly the chance of receiving nectar as a secondary ingredient would be calculated. The player would then receive either nothing, the main ingredient, the main ingredient and nectar, or nectar alone; the likelihood of each combination being produced will be based on pre-determined rules reflecting the rarity of ingredients, as in vanilla Morrowind.
• Harvested ingredient – Nectar, possibly already bottled
• Suggested alchemical effects – none in TESII, fortify fatigue, paralyze, poison, levitate
• Fortify fatigue, paralyze – very high sugar content, makes you hyper but too much can be dangerous
• Poison – some nectar contains neurotoxins
• Levitate – like hummingbirds appear to when feeding

Red berries (bush - harvestable)
• Majority of High Rock – grow in most climates, but prefer more rain so perhaps not the extremely dry areas
• Harvested ingredient – Red Goose(?) Berries
• Very common, and cheap
• Suggested alchemical effects – resist fire, as it is in TESII

Red Gooseberry Fruit

Red Rose (bush - harvestable)
• Majority of High Rock
• Flourishes in most environments, but not at the extremes of hot, cold, dry or wet
• Harvest ingredient – Red Rose, Red Rose Petals
• Suggested alchemical effects – detect enchantment, as it is in TESII, fortify personality, drain health
• Fortify personality – roses, especially red ones, are a symbol of love and beauty
• Drain health – but they do have thorns

Red Rose Bush

White Rose (bush - harvestable)
• Majority of High Rock
• Harvest ingredient – White Rose, White Rose Petals
• Suggested alchemical effects – fortify intelligence, as it is in TESII, drain agility, drain strength, drain health
• Drain agility, drain strength – ‘White Rose’ were a group of intellectuals who used non-violent techniques to protest against the Nazis, agility and strength govern the ability to hit, and the amount of damage done
• Drain health – roses have thorns

Wild White Rose Flower

Yellow Berries (bush - harvestable)
• Harvested ingredient – Yellow Goose(?) Berries
• Very common, and cheap
• Suggested alchemical effects – fortify speed, as it is in TESII, restore health
• Restore health – research is being undertaken into possible anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties

Yellow Gooseberry Fruit

Yellow Rose (bush - harvestable)
• Majority of High Rock
• Harvest ingredient – Yellow Rose, Yellow Rose Petals
• Suggested alchemical effects – Lycanthropy in TESII, perhaps cure or resist common disease as werewolves have a smaller chance of infection, fortify luck, drain health
• Fortify luck – the colour yellow is associated with luck and happiness
• Drain health – roses have thorns

Yellow Rose Bush

Any references needed just ask; any ideas, comments, criticism are all appreciated!

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Nice. Very useful post, great work. We could use something similar for Skyrim.
Amber (harvestable)
• All High Rock
• Amber can be harvested from a variety of different trees which grow in almost all climates, therefore I was thinking we could have to ability to harvest amber from many species of trees, but have the chance of successfully harvesting as fairly low
If you want to harvest it off trees, you should make a tree resin or tree sap ingredient. Amber is found in water, as it is fossilized resin. You can't harvest amber right of a tree, even if the tree is ancient. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had an idea that amber is a remnant of the prehistoric Hist-forest that dominated Nirn in the Mythic Era. There should be an exceptionally rare variant which is pure fossilized Hist sap.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

JackTheStripper
PT Modder

Apologies, perhaps I should elaborate.

Although I'm aware you can't harvest solid amber directly from a tree, TESIV's expansion Shivering Isles, presents the resin, in this way. The player activates either a Hollowed Amber Limb, or Hollowed Amber Stump, and receives 1-3 pieces of solid amber. I have included the picture below.

Image Image

Although unrealistic, because of its inclusion in TESIV, I thought this may be an appropriate way of harvesting amber, if a little lazy.

Tapping amber sap from a tree, was however something I'd thought about, possibly harvesting it in a potion bottle, similar to the Frostbite Spider Venom in TESV:Skyrim and, Fabricants in the Tribunal expansion.

Similarly, harvesting the solid resin from a deposit, perhaps similar to glass and ebony, could be a better way of presenting the material. This could be found both along the floor of rivers/lakes et cetara, but we could also have a small number of mines dedicated to the material.

Amber mine "Primorskoje" in Jantarny, Kaliningrad Oblast, Russia

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

True, though that's happening in a plane of Oblivion where everything works very differently. We already have harvestable amber for Skyrim, where you can dive into rivers and the sea to find it.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

I believe there are Aloe Vera and Ginko meshes in P:C_Data, if you're interested.

JackTheStripper
PT Modder

roerich wrote:True, though that's happening in a plane of Oblivion where everything works very differently.
You raise a very good point; especially considering it is the realm of Sheogorath, Daedric Prince Of Madness, nothing is to be believed!

roerich wrote:I had an idea that amber is a remnant of the prehistoric Hist-forest that dominated Nirn in the Mythic Era. There should be an exceptionally rare variant which is pure fossilized Hist sap.
Regarding your idea, is this something you're implementing in SHotN? I think it's interesting, and could also provide scope for some thought-provoking quests.

roerich wrote:We already have harvestable amber for Skyrim, where you can dive into rivers and the sea to find it.
Infragris wrote:I believe there are Aloe Vera and Ginko meshes in P:C_Data, if you're interested.
Thank you very much for the input, I'm completely unaware of what assets other province mods have, and are willing to share so your help is very much appreciated!

Return to “HR High Rock Discussion”