Thomas-Gro-Ruz' Literature Library

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Thomas-Gro-Ruz' Literature Library

Post by ThomasRuz »

As R-Zero and I are frequently brainstorming things for Orsinium, I thought it would be a good idea to post them in the High Rock forums, as Orsinium and the Wrothgarian Mountains are part of High Rock.
Below I will submit (lore)books, that have mostly to do with Orsinium, it being culture, flora, fauna or otherwise, and there will probably be some general High Rock literature aswell.
>This is when ThomasRuz made a new discord channel about maps and the conversation died.

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

My first book on Orsinium and its surroundings:

Vilebark, the ideal poison
by Nurrelon Galandris
Vilebark is a name not recognized by most. It is a rare and exotic tree found only in the Wrothgarian mountains, home to the city of Orsinium, and its inhabitants, the Orsimer.
Most are unaware of the existence of this tree, but its influence is to be found all over Tamriel. Many alchemists, including me and my associate Sinderion are in agreement, that it is one of the most potent, if not the most potent poison known to Men and Mer. When this tree exactly came to exist is unknown, due to records of varying herbalists and alchemists who have studied the surrounding region extensively, not having any information on the Vilebark whatsoever.
Though I would assure you that we already expected this, as our own research has led us to the same result. After the field expedition, many of my apprentices had perished because of the Vilebarks strong poison, and those who were in close proximity were left with severe chronic respiratory issues. The nearby Orc hunters were quick to act however, helping to carry the diseased apprentices out of the Vilebarks vicinity, and these hunters, to my surprise, were not affected by its harmful effects, except for reddening of the eyes.
Though this setback had cost us dearly, we were close to uncovering of the secret of the Vilebark tree, me and my apprentices were led deep through the mountain passes, to arrive at the home of their wise woman, who called herself Amidra-gra-Niguul. After helping my apprentices with a tonic (from which she wouldn’t disclose the ingredients), she told us that we were lucky, but that she was exceptionally lucky. She told us the most remarkable stories, and was incredibly kind. She said I could include a few of these in my report, as such I will hold me to this promise.
The origin of the Vilebark is somewhat debatable, though the story she was taught, was the legend of the blighter: “A blighter came to these lands, one of those cursed Mogoi-Khan, and wearily sat under a tree. The tree then was colossal, and bountiful of the most rich and coloured fruit, one of the fruit fell on the Mogoi-Khan. The Mogoi-Khan was angered and cursed the heavens, and out came the sour rain. The tree wouldn’t not budge and not wilt, the blighter was maddened that a mere tree could stand against his powers to control the heavens. The Mogoi-Khan spat with his cursed language, he knew the tree was strong and would not budge to a power greater than it. So he screamed the cursed words from the top of his lungs, that it became as vile as he.”
She explained that the Vilebark tree is used in many ways, the bark itself is used for medicinal purposes as a sedative, it can help numb the pain from wounds, can numb weary muscles( this is why it is sometimes used on a bow, a bow created with this bark has a stronger effect), and issometimes used recreationally, although she said that this is strongly inadvisable, as in high doses it can cause severe headaches and sometimes moments of paralysis. The leaves are more of a threat, it causes respiratory issues( similar to that which had afflicted my apprentices), severe irritation on the skin, and sometimes mucoidal thickening, which can lead to death.
But the most poisonous? She said, was the sap, which looked like a dark green ichor. Taking just a drop, or even inhale the vapor could lead to premature death, therefore it is only harvested by people who know how to deal with it, like hunters, shamans, or wise-woman like herself. She also added that the poison was best used for hunting, as it could be boiled out of the flesh.
We were surprised by the amount of knowledge Amidra-gra-Niguul had shared with us, but her reasoning to do so was justified. She said she was the last of her clan. Her clan had sought the tree to cure the bloody curse, and somehow, by Malacath’s grace she had survived. Granting her, her name Amidra-gra-Niguul, which means life’s grace in Orsimer tongue, how she had survived she didn’t want to disclose however.
After this journey, me and my apprentices gained a lot of respect for the Orsimer, for their(albeit sometimes barbaric) way of life. It had given us a lot of knowledge and wisdom, but it had also cost us dearly. Therefore reader, I ask you one thing, take this knowledge as you will, but unless you are a most experienced alchemist, do not venture out to find the Vilebark, it is the most potent poison on Tamriel.
>This is when ThomasRuz made a new discord channel about maps and the conversation died.

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

Flyers in and around Orsinium

Beware of the Dragonlings!

A dragonling might you say, that is no evil and mighty dragon. Something that one could easily slay with a hunting knife. But do not! Though dragonlings are smaller than their dragon counterparts they are especially dangerous and malicious. Not only do they possess the same fire breathing capabilities as that of their larger cousins, they also speak the tongue of the snakes, a very powerful ability indeed. Already we’ve had received reports of multiple accounts of arson, and death by incineration, even children poking a dragonling multiple times with a stick! If you have a dragonling problem, ask the local guardsmen instead, they will ensure that capable warriors are hired for the proper disposal of the dragonling.

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

In early stage development, prone to changes

Orc Pantheon
The first and foremost figure that is revered is Malacath or Trinimac also known as the Ancestor Spirit. Trinimac is not the only one revered however, there are other spirits who can grant their boon to the Orsimer they meet, or a curse depending.
The warrior spirit – The warrior spirit is revered to as one, but consists out of many spirits, they consist out of many companions and opponents Malacath/Trinimac find worthy of reverence, most notably are the following:

Mehrunes Dagon, also known as the unstoppable rage, the Beserk, seen as a strong, but flawed and misguided rage by Malacath/Trinimac, a strong and formidable foe.
Zenithar, also known as Zhanat in Orsimer tongue, Spirit of the anvil, the forge, the armor and the weaponry, a good companion to have, as strong armor and steel is always needed. A fight blessed by Zhanat ensures victory.

Hircine, also known as Irsin or Irsine in Orsimer tongue, is the Spirit of the Hunt, depicted as a female centaur hunter with white fur, Irsin(e) is known to bring plentiful food and bounty to those that are blessed by her, but also obsesses the blessed with the Hunt, if this wildness goes on for too long the Orsimer are turned into Irsin(e)’s servants. Irsin(e) is known to both gift favour as a Warrior spirit and spirit of the Hunt and is also sometimes associated with The Lost Spirit.

Molag-Bal, also known as Molog in Orsimer tongue, is the Spirit of Greed, Molog resembles a chief that has kept power for too long and covets more, the craving to want more is what makes This spirit a dangerous opponent.

Sheogorath, also known as Galag in Orsimer tongue, or Spirit of the Unruly, Galag is sometimes represented as the impatience and eagerness for battle, Galag is the most unpredictable opponent. How the name Galag came to be is unkown, the most accepted theory is that Malacath once battled the Spirit calling him Jyg-Galag.

Torug, also known as King under Kings, or the Khan spirit, Torug is the creator of first Orsinium, through battle and hardship did this Orsimer claims his side by Malacath/Trinimac as a worthy companion. Among the Warrior Spirit, Torug is the one they seek most.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Trinimac and Malacath aren't the same, even if one is supposedly created from the other. Saying this would be highly offensive to a follower of either.

While well written, I don't see this as the Orc pantheon. I agree that Torug is probably revered, but the Orcish people are really unique in Tamriel in that they follow one god - their outcast pariah god Malacath (recent Trinimac controversy being a new thing altogether). While there are numerous Orcs following other Daedras, I don't think it's fitting that they're considered almost equals to Malacath or even in the same group. Trinimac worshippers would probably distance themselves from Daedra as much as possible.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

I should really change the text to either contain Malacath or Trinimac, though I wanted to keep it both in for now and is not final. Malacath/Trinimac is revered first and foremost and is seen as the ancestor spirit, the strongest and most powerful, and sometimes not even associated with the spirits, except for Auri-El( From a part that still has to be written). Though I would think it's a bit weird if they were complete oblivious of other strongly influential beings except for Trinimac/Malacath, influencing them more as spirits, or simply not seen as gods, but as impactful beings, and depending on the situation are revered for the charms they give( Irsin(e) for example could bless a hunt to go well) or shunned for the curses they bring(Galag bringing an Orc to a craze) and can either be seen as good or evil, depending on the situation(Except for The Betrayers, which are regarded as always evil, again a piece I have not written yet). The spirits are in turn divided how Malacath/Trinimac sees them, the warrior spirit explained above is one such example, a cumulation of different spirits that could help in battle, often asked for a blessing as one, though they are sometimes called upon individually(Zhanat would probably be called on by a smith, while Torug would be called for by a warrior), The spirits are influential beings that are not the benevolent, omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, righteous, merciful god that is Trinimac/Malacath

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I didn't mean that they aren't aware of other divine beings, but that they do not worship them. Like pariahs they follow their pariah god, being outsiders and outcasts to everyone else.

Also the new Trinimac faith had huge implications. Among these are the fact that if Malacath and Trinimac aren't pre- and post-Boethiah Trinimac, then Malacath is an evil prince that has tricked the Orcs since the Dawn era. And in the Trinimac faith there's absolutely no place for Daedra worship.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

In early stage development, prone to changes, worked out who's who, now it is the time to add some backstory, which I will post later.

Orc Pantheon

The first and foremost figure that is revered is Malacath or Trinimac also known as the Ancestor Spirit.(Depending on views if it comes from either a Malacath or a Trinimac cultist, I leave this open as a general interpretation that is rooted in Orsimer culture that both sides (mostly) agree on).

Trinimac is not the only one present however, there are spirits who can grant their boon to the Orsimer they meet, or a curse depending.

The warrior spirit – The warrior spirit is revered to as one, but consists out of many spirits, they consist out of many companions and opponents Malacath/Trinimac find worthy of reverence, most notably are the following:

Mehrunes Dagon, also known as Mehron in Orsimer tongue, the unstoppable rage, the Berserk, seen as a strong, but flawed and misguided rage by Malacath/Trinimac, a strong and formidable foe.

Zenithar, also known as Zhanat in Orsimer tongue, Spirit of the anvil, the forge, the armor and the weaponry, a good companion to have, as strong armor and steel is always needed. A fight blessed by Zhanat ensures victory.

Hircine, also known as Irsin or Irsine in Orsimer tongue, is the Spirit of the Hunt, depicted as a female centaur hunter with white fur, Irsin(e) is known to bring plentiful food and bounty to those that are blessed by her, but also obsesses the blessed with the Hunt, if this wildness goes on for too long the Orsimer are turned into Irsin(e)’s servants. Irsin(e) is known to both gift favour as a Warrior spirit and spirit of the Hunt and is also sometimes associated with The Lost Spirit.

Molag-Bal, also known as Molog in Orsimer tongue, is the Spirit of Greed, Molog resembles a chief that has kept power for too long and covets more, the craving to want more is what makes This spirit a dangerous opponent. Depicted as a large elf, that has Orsimer on chains.

Sheogorath, also known as Galag in Orsimer tongue, or Galag’al in Old Orcish, Spirit of the Unruly, Galag is sometimes represented as the impatience and eagerness for battle, Galag is the most unpredictable opponent. How the name Galag came to be is unknown, the most accepted theory is that Malacath once battled the Spirit calling him Jyg-Galag. Portrayed as a woman like figure, cloaked by vibrant robes and a silver mask.

Torug, also known as King under Kings, or the Khan spirit, Torug is the creator of first Orsinium, through battle and hardship did this Orsimer claims his side by Malacath/Trinimac as a worthy companion. Among the Warrior Spirit, Torug is the one they seek most.

Namira, also known as Namara, the Spirit of Wicked Nature, she represents nature in the Wrothgarian Mountains,

Auri-El, also known as Urvash, or Urvash’al in old Orcish, Spirit of Time, normally mentioned as The Betrayer.
Most if not all Orsimer know the story of The Betrayer, Urvash’al, brother to Trinimac and leader of most known pantheons to date, but this was not always the case. Trinimac was the champion of his people, sometimes revered more than Urvash’al. Urvash’al grew jealous, jealous that his brother was more liked than he, this consumed Urvash’al. When the time came, when Trinimac was consumed by the evil Bidesha, tortured and beaten, Urvash’al ignored Trinimac, neglected Trinimac, and watched his own brother transform in the spawn that is called Mauloch. He betrayed Trinimac and thus the Orsimer, granting him the title of Betrayer.

Mephala, also known as Mefar or Mafar, Spirit of Rebirth,
Boethiah, also known as Bidesha, Spirit of Torment,

Peryite, also known as Hulmog, The Fallen Serpent,
Hermaous Mora, also known as Harmos, or Harmaros in old Orcish, Spirit of Secrets
Vaermina, also known as Urma, Spirit of Delusions, , portrayed as a shapeshifter consisting of dark black form.(Aku from Samurai jack :D )

Clavicus Vile, also known as Klavil, or Khlav’ig in old Orcish, Spirit of Desire, has the appearance of a rich Breton lord with Klavil’s mask
Nocturnal, also known as Noktur or Noktul, Spirit of Shadow,
Azura, also known as Azug, or Ashara, Spirit of the Moon, depicted as a meditating man in blue silks, holding up the moon(s), appears before those whom are in senses with their higher self.
Sanguine, also known as Sanhk, or Sanhku’in in old Orcish, Spirit of Bloodshed/Dark Intent
Meridia, also known as (Meritah?), Spirit of Light
Magnus, also known as Magkne, Spirit of Elements, seen as the origin of (raw) elemental power
Julianos, also known as, Ghulan, Spirit of Knowledge,
Mara, Spirit of Care
Arkay, also known as Urkhai(LOTR reference ;) ), Spirit of Passing, also called The Gatekeeper, when an Orsimer dies, this spirit will test the strength of Orcs ,
Stendarr, also known as Mogohk, meaning “Shield of the Serpent”, Spirit of Loyalty, generally depicted as a man only holding a shield,
Lorkhan/Shor/Ysmir, also known as Mogosh, meaning “Serpent King”, The spirit of Lies, generally seen as half-serpent, half-man. The battles between Malacath and Mogosh are legendary.
Kynareth, also known as Kyn, or Kyn’eh in old Orcish, Life Spirit,
Talos does not appear in the Orcish pantheon.
Dibella does not appear in the Orcish pantheon.

One spirit, consisting of three Altmer gods, the three faced god, Yafarn/Yfran, The Spirit of Wisdom, Legacy and Magic.
Yfran was once three gods:
Y’ffre, also known as Yafr/Ifrey
Phynaster, also known as Fynast
Syrabane, also known as Khyraban

Post moved to Orsinium Lore section
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=836" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

King Bormic and the eight Druid Knights

King Bormic sat on his prestigious throne, hearing the pleas of his most trusted knights, that failed to give him what he had desired.
His words instilled fear, for he who wronged our merciful king, shan't live for another year.
“You have come to me empty-handed”, said his booming voice that broke branches and ringed ears. “I asked for a trophy unrivalled, and you brought me the head of a deer!”
“It wasn’t me!” screamed Adwen, lord of hills and hovels, slayer of boars and parakeet. “I hunted down Great-Tusk for you my liege, with his meat we could feast for weeks.”
“Then why is my plate still empty”, Bormic bellowed. Why haven’t you killed that boar, answer me, or I will eat all of you whole!”

“The fool can’t hit anything with his bow”. Answered Celoranne, queen of fishes and boats. His shots missed the mark, and Great-Tusk fled.

Correction Miraclestone 17 Sept 2019

King Bormic and the Eight Druid Knights

King Bormic sat on his prestigious throne hearing the pleas of his most trusted knights that failed to give him what he had desired.

His words instilled fear, for he who wronged our merciful king shan't live for another year.
“You have come to me empty-handed”, he said with his booming voice that broke branches and rang ears. “I asked for a trophy unrivaled and you brought me the head of a deer!”
“It wasn’t me!” screamed Adwen, lord of hills and hovels, slayer of boars and parakeet. “I hunted down Great-Tusk for you my liege. With his meat we could feast for weeks.”
“Then why is my plate still empty”, Bormic bellowed. “Why haven’t you killed that boar? Answer me or I will eat all of you whole!”

“The fool can’t hit anything with his bow”, answered Celoranne, queen of fishes and boats. “His shots missed the mark, and Great-Tusk fled.”

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

A soul, willing. A mare slaughtered.
Lay him on a bed of flowers, keep still.
Stone, hard as earth. Sisters, pick one.
Crush it, keep hitting until it cracks, like hen’s egg.
Lay his dreams open to the wind, let nature take them.
Let fungus rot, dreams turn to nightmares.
Take nature made into tool, let flesh rip like bone cracked.
Let him spill, let flowers bloom crimson red.
Take tendon and sinew, braid with twigs, thorns and hair of witch.
Take flesh and everything left inside, light cauldron’s fire.
Boil with mare’s blood, let man and beast become one.
Sisters, each take our copper cup.
Let the broth fill it to the brim, let it fill our mouths.
Let it drip from the mouth, let us laugh in cacophony.
Let it fill our hearts, one with nature, throbbing.

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

Do you see young one, do you see why I’ve brought you here?
Do you see the birds fly over our heads?
Do you hear them chirp their song of beauty?

Focus, focus on their song, let the words form in your mind.
CHIRP CHIRP
CHIRP CHIRP

Now do you see?
This is their state of things, but they are dormant.
They wait to be awakened, their inner voices heard.
Or for you to bestow your song onto them.

Focus, focus on their song, let the words form in your mind.
Now construct your melody, unleash your mind upon them.
PH CRI H IRCP
PH CRI H IRCP

Good, good… do you notice?
Do you see what it has become?
Haunting perfection, a melody like no other.

Go deeper, ever deeper.
BEAT BEAT
BEAT BEAT

I feel it, I feel it pulsing, liquid of life flowing through.
CHANGE it, let it pulse to your own rhythm.
AB ET AB ET
AB ET AB ET

The forest deafens.

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

All turns to dust, or naught more than dust.
All-eater worm eats all that is, excretes all that was, and eats all again. Like small worm eat bread until only crumbs remain.

This is the inevitability of all things that follow The Way that Winds.
Like maggots it eats flesh.
On wood like termites it munches.

But like many things float in the river, others sink.
Copper and brass does not float, otherwise how would sunken-head bestow his wisdom upon us?
Likewise bone sinks to the bottom of the earth, but unlike brass collapses under the torrent, disintegrating into plant.

We have the gift to see all that flows, has passed the waters of now, and where it will flow. As we know, water in a river takes the easiest path, and so does The Way That Winds.

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

The ripples in the water or the wave which crashes against rocks on shore, is nothing short of physical manifestation of spirits. Those foolish to move against the current. In the reflection of The Way That Winds that we see upon us.

These are ignorant and cling to what they were, what was once. Desperate to fight for their integrity, to be whole and full. While the wise among them can see the irreversible path, and guided by providence, steer their way into larger waters. For all cannot be eternal, and must change, as all-eater-worm breaks down all.

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

The Way that Winds

How it's structured (abbreviated):
  • The Way that Winds - The way of mortal life, all spirits, alive and passing to the next follow The Way that Winds. The Way that Winds is symbolized by a stream of water flowing in only one direction, though the Way that Winds has many streams, the only one path is forward. Water is the connection between the spirit world and the materialistic world.
  • All-Eater Worm - The way in which everything degrades and becomes nothing, or next to nothing. All-Eater worm devours all Mortal Spirits that pass through his mouth, and excretes them as spirits lesser than that they were. All-Eater worm stands for degradation, permanent death, and oblivion.
  • The Abyss - The Abyss or 'The Deep Ways' are a complex series of caves that connect the divine 'inner' to the mortal cycle, mortals, except highly gifted Bjoulsae sages, are unable to pass into it's streams. The Abyss is home to a mystical figure called Sunken-Head. It is said that mountains and glaciers are connect the Abyss to the mortal plane.
  • The Inner - The Inner or 'Everlasting Spring' is a place that mortals have never seen, but has found its way into the concept through the old stories told by Watermanes. It speaks of a neverending stream of water that supplies water to The Abyss and the Mortal cycle, the water also streams into The Void.
  • The Void - The Void is an empty space that is positioned in the middle of the Divine Cycle. The believe exists that the mortal spirits were created by revolvement of the wheel, ousting of Divine Spirits, that degraded in All-Eater worm. The Bjoulsae Tribes believe that if there ever comes a time the Cycle will start to revolve again, everything will degrade, Divine turns into Mortal again, and all that was turns into dust once more.
Classification of spirits (abbreviated):
  • Mortal Spirits - Mortal Spirits are defined by their involvement in the outer wheel, or the Mortal Cycle. They are degraded into lesser spirits by All-Eater worm.
  • Sunken Head -Sunken Head is an ancient wise sage, that by his knowledge sunk into The Abyss, and is one of the few mortals to ever touch the Abyss. His words are carried along the streams of the mortal cycle.
  • Divine Spirits - The Divine Spirits live inside the Divine Cycle and, they're in the eyes of the Bjoulsae Tribes immortal and unreachable. The only connection the Bjoulsae Tribes and Divine Spirits have is through the Watermanes. Divine Spirits sometimes bring gifts down The Abyss for mortals.
  • Watermanes - Watermanes are the only spirits that can traverse The Abyss to the Mortal and Divine Cycles. They offer guidance to mortals, and bring messages between the planes. It is said that horses stem from noble mortal spirits that have traversed the Divine Cycle.

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

A letter to Magister Nilles

To Nilles, 4th council member of the Evermore Magistrate.

I write to you, because of a recent change of course of behaviour, when we were debating in the council last week. I do not know what has gotten into you Nilles, what fuelled your choices, your decisions, your mistakes back then, on such a vital matter. This outsider witch, capable as she might seem, is against the very order of things in Evermore. And, therefore, a threat to the very fabric that makes up our great society. Eventhough I do see the advantages of making a political manoeuvre in favour of this threat, the destabilization it would bring.

As I trust in our most magnificent and perfect council, I shall not interfere with the result that was decided upon, even if against my own interest. However, as I seek, and strife, for maintaining all that is our glorious empire, I have delivered to you a gift. As a gift, I have instructed your favourite chambermaid Greti to assemble a flower bouquet for you.

As you might be aware, she excelled in executing my favour, and therefore became the head of the piece.

If you want to receive more similar gifts like this, I’d ask of you to continue working against me. If, however, you’d entertain the thought of receiving more pleasant gifts, I’d advise you to work with me henceforth.

I am glad we could resolve things in a quick and orderly fashion,

Duly yours,

Astyx, 8th council member of the Evermore Magistrate

Correction Miraclestone 17 Sept 2019

A letter to Magister Nilles

To Nilles, 4th council member of the Evermore Magistrate.

I write to you because of a recent change of course in your behavior I noticed while we were debating in the council last week. I do not know what has gotten into you Nilles, what had fueled your decisions, your actions and your mistakes back then on such a vital matter. This outsider witch, capable as she might seem, is against the very order of things in Evermore. Therefore, I can safely proclaim her to be the threat to the very fabric that makes up our great society that she is. Even though I do see the advantages of making a political maneuver in favor of this threat, the destabilization it would bring is not worth any meager reward.

As I trust in our most magnificent and perfect council I shall not interfere with the result that was decided upon, even if against my own interest. However, as I seek and strive for maintaining all that is our glorious domain, I have delivered to you a gift to make amends. I instructed your favorite chambermaid, Greti, to assemble a flower bouquet for you. As you might have expected, she excelled in executing my favor and naturally became the head of the piece. She shall be waiting for you in your chambers.

If you want to receive more similar gifts like this, I’d ask of you to continue working against me. If you would prefer gifts more to your liking, however, I’d advise you to work with me henceforth.

I am glad we could resolve things in a quick and orderly fashion. Looking forward to seeing you at the next council meeting.

Duly yours,

Astyx, 8th council member of the Evermore Magistrate.

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

Lost Journal in the Warp

Amidst all the chaos a journal floats still in mid-air. It seemingly being untouched by the lick of flame, nor the permeating corrosive fog.

Judgement is imminent. The loud clanking and clashing of metal shrieks through the air, like thunder would be heard from a storm. More frequent by the second. Louder and louder, until the sound dissipates entirely. The soldiers waver; our last line of defense. The last minutes of their life passed in deadly silence, clinging onto the shreds of hope that still remain within their heart.

The clear sky darkens, the fog and smoke bellow out in front. The smell, unmistakably of burned flesh. The men form up, the time has seemingly come. Shadows form and penetrate through the fog. The visage is all and all in one. The men burning in green flames, the valiant defenders in their final moments, the cowards that flee in terror, the betrayers who cut themselves down, the maniacal, the psychotic, cannibals, insane. All in one, one in all, one is all. He was here, he is here, the men are preparing, I am them, I killed, I ate, I saw, defense breaks, hope is lost, we are preparing. All ends in one, all ends in cinders, all ends in reflection, on us on him. His eyes unmoving, eyes unforgiving, he achieved, he has begun. These words I have written, I have not written.

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

Evermore: A posthumous Hegemony
Altryst Castil

As a scholar, having been raised and tutored in Daggerfall. I’ve been always interested in the oddities of our province, particularly those of governance. Though our province is divided in multiple Kingdoms(and more severely a few decades earlier), there seems to be a constant, that governance is decided by royal blood or decendency. However Evermore seems to dodge this general ruling.
Counter to what I just described, there have been a few isolated cases in Evermore’s history where a firstborn was elected <highest mage-councillor>, but this was not due to their heritage, but rather their cunning in overtaking their father’s before. The first thing to consider in their way of electing their highest form of governance, is looking to the past. The Direnni Hegemony, once at its peak in an age none, and sparsely the Direnni themselves can remember, dominated High Rock, and parts of current Skyrim and Hammerfell. Their ruins still a testament to their reach, which was a in part a consequence of their political cunning. One of their defining elements their smart and shrewd way of coming on top every time, which is why their namesake is all we remember, and not those of other Altmer clans. Their opponents, or perhaps rivals, were generally completely outmanoeuvred, their possessions taken over, and their lives ruined.

In Evermore one could say this sentiment is generally shared. Though never admitting it openly, there have been enough accounts that share the same opinion, both from their enemies and allies throughout the centuries. Their governance structure and relationship is also very revealing in this matter. A single <highest mage-councillor> leads a <mage council>. On a first glance this seems relatively ordinary, however this soon changes with the realization that this is far from constant. Members who have generally governed longer than five years generally seem to stick around for decades, but for the newer members it seems to be an impossible task to get a foothold. These usually do not seem to last a year. Even historically the <highest mage-councillor> has not been exempt of this, abdicating his place, or disappearing all together.

Though these <mage councillors> seem to be of all sorts and sizes, the common demeanour, except for their cunning, seems to be their high skill in spellcasting. Sometimes even, a correlation can be drawn between the skill of the <mage councillor> and their success in enforcing their position. This is not only a consequence of their power-hungry nature, but also an instance of history repeating itself. We have to look no further than the time after the crumbling of the Direnni Hegemony. Where the notorious Witch-Kings took over through sheer terror, unnatural raw power(so surviving rumors say) and spellcraft. The same tactics employed under a thin veneer of a decent governance.

Eventhough the Hegemony of old is far behind us, their politics have never waned or fallen in disuse. Evermore seems always to be on the cusp of reinventing itself, for their betterment, or their downfall. But a simple Bret should not have to fear of what I would call a ‘posthumous Hegemony’, a dysfunctional state. A state using a way of governance that would’ve barely function eons ago, and obsolete today. Hungry for power and land, it will, through its instability, unravel the very bindings that holds it together.

Miraclestone
PT Modder

Post by Miraclestone »

Spoiler
Evermore: A Posthumous Hegemony
Altryst Castil

As a scholar born, raised, and tutored in Daggerfall, my focus has been primarily focused on High Rock throughout my career. I’ve been always interested in the oddities of my home province, particularly those of governance. Though our realm is divided into multiple kingdoms (many more before the Miracle of Peace) there seems to be a one constant, that governance is decided by royal blood or decendancy. Evermore, however, seems to dodge this general ruling.

Counter to what I just described, there have been a few isolated cases in Evermore’s history where a firstborn was elected King. This was not due to their heritage but rather their cunning in overtaking their father’s station before them. The first thing to consider in their way of electing their highest form of governance, is looking to the past. The Direnni Hegemony, once at its peak in an age none but Direnni themselves can sparely remember, dominated High Rock as well as vast swaths of current Skyrim and Hammerfell. Their ruins still a testament to their domain's reach, which was in part a consequence of their political cunning. One of their defining elements was their calculated and shrewd way of coming out on top every time. It is no wonder why their namesake is all we remember, and not those of other Altmer clans. Their opponents, or perhaps rivals, were generally completely outmaneuvered, leading to their possessions taken and lives ruined.

In Evermore one could say this sentiment is generally shared. Though never admitting it openly, there have been enough accounts that share the same opinion by both enemies and allies throughout the ages. Their governance structure and relationship is also very revealing in this matter. The King elect leads the Wizard Council and rule evermore, as does a single elected Castellan rule over the Direnni clan and its holdings. On a first glance this seems relatively ordinary, however this soon changes with the realization that this is far from constant. Members who have generally governed longer than five years generally seem to stick around for decades, but for the newer members it seems to be an impossible task to get a foothold. These usually do not seem to last a year, ending up among a meriad of unpleasant 'retirements' if they are lucky. Even historically the King has not been exempt of this, abdicating his place or even disappearing all together.

Though these council members seem to be of all sorts and sizes, the common demeanour seems to be that of a highly skilled cunning sorcerer. Sometimes a correlation can even be drawn between the skill of the wizard and their success in enforcing their position. There have been times the King of Evermore was not even of its people, instead hailing from some far flung corner of the backwaters of the Reach. This is not only a consequence of their power-hungry nature, but also an instance of history repeating itself. We have to look no further than the time after the crumbling of the Direnni Hegemony. Where the infamous Witch-Kings took over through sheer terror, unnatural raw power and spellcraft as the stories tell. The same tactics employed under a thin veneer of a decent governance in Evermore.

Eventhough the Hegemony of old is far behind us, their politics have never waned or fallen in disuse. Evermore seems always to be on the cusp of reinventing itself, to their betterment or their downfall. A simple Bret should not have to fear of what I would call a ‘posthumous Hegemony’, a dysfunctional state. A state using a way of governance that would’ve barely function eons ago, and obsolete today. Hungry for power and land, it will, through its instability, unravel the very bindings that holds it together.

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

Into the Fold
By a Gwylim Student/Teacher

Many colleges that practise the arcane are known to have been built in exceptional locations, some absent from the normal plane of existence in intriguing ways. Take for example the structure known as the Battlespire. Through advanced use of predominantly conjuration magicks, the Imperial battlemages were able to create an extraplanar college. An extraordinary feat, even though its ingenuity was its failing, in the end. Gwylim on the other hand was built entirely on this plane of existence, though one cannot see it with the naked eye. It exists in a pocket made by unknown creators, a pocket of Mundus itself.

The visualization of this is quite difficult. How can something exist, but we cannot see it? First we would need to dive into the way how it has formed, as close as our approximation of it gets. After which the explanation would seem self-evident. First we start with a simple substrate, like a piece of paper, or maybe even this very page! As we know, paper can fold, if we lets say, bend a corner of this page. What we would see is a fold, a thing manipulated to such an extent and possibility, that it can go both up and down, left and right, and forward and backward. This is what we can visually see and register as possible. One could even with skill, create an animal figurine or pouch out of this paper page, if one desired to do so.
And you would ask: paper, we’re talking about the warping of the very fabric of reality, how can we compare this to mere paper? And you my dear reader, have given the very answer to your own question. Paper is indeed only a speck in the existence of the whole, but nevertheless a part of it. If we consider the manipulation of the paper fabric a possibility in this reality, the principle of manipulating the fabric of reality to the same extent, should be similarly possible.

If one could detect the plane of reality, one could crease and fold it like a normal paper should, one could create endless possible shapes, and impress large pockets of existence into the very planet we stand on, with both our feet. The result of this was made in a time before modern comprehension, and therefore a testament to their creators. Gwylim was built on the core of this work. A work we can scarcely comprehend. A work that, even to our best efforts, we only can recreate on a tiny scale. A work that still perplexes us, a work that will be subject to study, for centuries to come.

Taniquetil
Site Admin

Post by Taniquetil »

Spoiler
Many colleges that practice the arcane are known to have been built in exceptional locations. Some intriguing institutions, in fact, lie entirely outside the normal plane of existence. Take, for example, the structure known as the Battlespire. Through advanced use of predominantly conjuration magicks, Imperial battlemages were able to create an extraplanar college. An extraordinary feat, though its ingenuity was its failing, in the end. Gwylim, on the other hand, was built entirely on this plane of existence, though one cannot see it with the naked eye. It exists in a pocket made by unknown creators, in a hidden part of Mundus itself.

Visualizing this phenomenon is quite difficult, for the inexperienced. How can something exist when none can see it? First, we must explore the means by which Gwylim's "pocket" of Mundus came about, or at least our most developed approximations and theories on the subject. Once conveyed, the answer seems self-evident. First, we start with a simple substrate, like a piece of paper; perhaps this very page! Of course, paper can fold. If for example, one were to bend a corner of this page, one would observe a such a fold; a thing that, once manipulated might go both up and down, left and right, or forward and backward. Any observer can see this and register it as possible. One could even - with skill - create an animal figurine or pouch out of this paper page, if one desired to do so.

Of course, reality is not paper. Warping of the very fabric of reality is an order of cosmic magnitude above folding mere paper. But, my dear reader, these orders are closer than they might appear. Paper is indeed only a speck in the existence of the whole, but it is nevertheless a part of the whole. If we consider the manipulation of paper a possibility in this reality, the principle of manipulating the fabric of reality should be similarly possible.

If one could detect the plane of reality, one could crease and fold it like we might crease and fold ordinary paper. One could create an infinity of shapes, or impress large pockets of existence into the very world we stand upon. Such things took place in a time before modern comprehension, and remain a testament to their creators.

Gwylim was built on the core of this work. It is a work we can scarcely comprehend. A work that, even after our best efforts, we only can recreate on a tiny scale. Gwylim is a work that still perplexes us, and a work that will be subject to study for centuries to come.
This is a really cool text. These are some suggestions for style/grammar/punctuation.
A far green country, under a swift sunrise
she/her

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

Note to a bandit

Andriesse,

I have a proposal for you, a very nice one in fact. I know your mercenary group has been out of work lately, and I heard you needed some assistance. Allow me to offer it to you. I have set up a location for you, a bandit camp to the <direction>, you will pose as a group of bandits there.

I will arrange for you a meeting with Lady Seré, she will meet you at <location>, from there you will escort her to your bandit camp. Hire someone who will leave a ransom note behind at the doorstep of Sir. Galien (the sum of which will be included with the advance payment). At which point Sir. Galien will be most horrified, and assume she is kidnapped. He’ll ask assistance from the Knights of the Rose. I will take up his offer personally.

From there on out I will travel to your bandit camp and take Lady Seré back with me to Wayrest. In a week’s time, go to the entrance of the city and await me there, your final payment will be given to you by one of my lackeys.

I hope this is a most desirable agreement. Of course I have to disclose that any maltreatment of Lady Seré will be met with punishment. If anyone wanders too close to the camp, do not be afraid to kill them in self-defense.

Good luck with your endeavors,

Sir G.

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

In the corner of the crypt in the upper levels of the Crypt of Hearts, lies an old forgotten corpse, donning the armour of the Order of the Heart. Little flesh remains, that which has not been eaten by vermin, in its armour's pocket rests a browned piece of parchment.

They just don't understand, do they? The importance, our importance. They lost the true meaning, the essence, of our order. We're undermanned, have been for some time now. It shows. Proper teams can't search the upper levels of the crypt anymore. More often we find them. Their bodies stabbed, life drained from their eyes. Not enough men to find them, not enough men to retrieve them, damn it all! Trouble is brewing, I just know it. The shadows are stirring, the bowels are moving. The echo, normally only the tread of our boots, it calls, it beckons. Not to mention those roars on the surface...

We know its past; our past. The disturbed will rise, and when they do, they'll remember. They will remember through their suffering and regret, once it's too late. They will remember that a heart needs to keep beating, in order to stay alive. That they can't expose it, use it as fodder. That blood is more costly than gold...

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

(A text I made for the ancient Normen, inspired by the Chinese folk tale Outlaws of the Marsh, which combines the Normen view of courtesy and honour)

A soldier came into town, none other than Wolt Beinan. Well respected in the militia of the Green Mountain past Shorn. He had come to this villages’ market to trade his sreangen-dje-cuínn (coin strings) for supplies. He was halted by his dry throat, to alleviate this, he went to the inn where the cliffs end. Where he was greeted honourably by the innkeep. “Beinan of the great Wolt who travelled from the Green Mountain, I am humbled by your return!”

“You may rise innkeep, have you any spirits that can quench a dry throat” Wolt responded.

“Not only such, but Aglear Crissa asks of your presence in the hall above, let me not keep you”, and so it was done. For one from a honourable family such as Aglear, Wolt would spare no expense, and shouted “For those that invite me I spare no expense! Bring the finest Brachk’na’Brache”, and so they drank. Aglear was so humbled, Aglear called him Mi-jon’naighte frouger (My sworn brother) on the spot. After many jugs Aglear spoke of her troubles. “Brother, I am troubled, my family was forced by honour to wed me to Lech Frask, ain-theirnan djè tue’e’kor’sè (despot of the north shore), my father wishes against it, but cannot, as he faces our exile, and none dare stand against him.”

The Brachk’na’Brache has risen to his head, where it encountered Wolt’s foolish temper. He bowed and excused himself out of the inn. As Wolt stood in the marketplace, Lech was clearly visible. Lech waited for his servants to stock up on meats and liquor. Without a second thought Wolt approached Lech and stood square against him.

“You dare stand in front of ain-theirnan djè tue’e’kor’sè, you drunken fool” called out one of his servants, the others servants laughed, and the bystanders laughed nervously. Lech raised his hand, whereby the servant bowed in deep regret. “Utter your te’aglach’s (clan’s) name, might they receive less dishonour than your worth”.

“Wolt Beinan of the Green Mountain past Shorn, Lech Frask, may mi-te’aglach and the Aglear forgive my dishonour for the greater good.” With three serpent strikes Lech lay unmoving on the pavement, his servants aiding and lamenting his unconscious visage, while the bystanders stood in shock. Wolt went back into the inn. He kneeled, “The Aglear are free from restraint, may my dishonour not cause you harm”

“Thank you brother!” she exclaimed, as she kowtowed 6 times.

“Honour my advice, take to the Western Capital, do not deviate from the main road, and stay clear of the elven soldiers” After Wolt’s advice, Aglear left the tavern soon after. Knowing what he had done, Wolt packed what little supplies he had and departed. And so with empty hands he headed to the East.

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

A warped soldier stands in complete silence, in the chaos that surrounds him he stands out, offering a peculiar scene in the pandemonium.

The one against his purpose, creation turned to destruction. But we are of the nine, not of the one. We take time to unravel, time to unbind. Time that runs but also starts again, and again. Our only sanctity, corrupted in his wake. Our divine spark, our conscience, being, morality, ethicality, fizzled out.

The one turned good intention to bad, turning their zealous defence of their homeland in pitiful desire for all-consumption and death. I, I didn't wish to be here, I wanted to become a scholar, not a soldier. In fear, I tried to run. Instead I stand here, motionlessly watching the thing I feared most in my life on repeat. I dread when I feel nothing anymore, when my shred of divinity is corrupted beyond my own recognition, and I become like them, mindless and insatiable.

The soldier turns to dust, only to reform again.

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

Report: Characteristics and Behaviourisms of Tamrielic Dragons
Strictly confidential
Commissioned by the Arch-mage of Evermore
Written by Andries Gottier, researcher

Preface: This report is about dragons (likely) originating from the continent Tamriel. Not to be confused with the dragons originating from the Akaviri invasion, or those pesky dragonlings, which the commonfolk have misappropriated (see the term “draconization”).

Tamrielic dragons, commonly just referred to as dragons, are intelligent, powerful beasts mostly inhabiting the west of Tamriel. Few have been sighted (mostly around the Wrothgarian and Dragontails mountain ranges, and nearby forests), and even fewer have had interactions with any of the men and mer. Therefore characterization of these beasts has proven quite difficult, with such a limited pool of examples. Nevertheless, there are three prominent examples in recent history that we can draw some conclusions from; Nulfaga’s dragon Skakmat, and dragons from the Empire; Nafaalilargus and Dragonne Papré (sensitive information, handle with caution).

Physiology: Their sizes are reported as colossal, though can greatly vary in size, with a wingspan that can vary between that of an guildhall or span a town. Many such dragons therefore choose to stay grounded, except for in the wilds, to avoid being located. All dragons seem to have two hind legs and 2 wings in front that also act like arms (similar to the dragonling samples, but larger wingspan), as opposed to the 4 legs of their Akaviri associates. A scaley, magick and fire resistant hide (sampled from Papre), seems to cover most of their body surface. Their wing webbing however is extremely elastic and multi-layered. Other internal tissue (eyes, mouth, tongue), seem very quick to regenerate, though do show lasting damage. All tissue is observed to be light but strong, and resistant but not impervious to physical force exerted on it, particularly piercing force.

Capabilities: Only a few cases are known of what they’re actually capable of. Generally it is assumed they are able to breathe fire and are deadly combatants. Once, a member of The Order of the Hour travelled to the Wrothgarian mountains and suggested he had single-handedly killed dragons, though this has never been officially confirmed.

Behaviour: Of all reports, dragons seem to either live in solitude in the sparsely populated areas of the west (High Rock, Hammerfell, Valenwood), or to enact a symbiotic relationship with powerful men/mer and The Empire. Do notice the term symbiosis, as there is indication that the relationship between men/mer and dragons is beneficial for both. Seemingly as is suggested by folk tales, dragons seek some manifestation of power or wealth (both in physical and non-physical sense) to protect and guard. Additionally, some more personal relationships might form after initial contact (Skakmat/Nulfaga and Papré/Samar), while other dragons keep more apathetic (Nafaalilargus).

Conclusion: Going in on your request, I could not find any indication why a dragon wouldn’t have contacted you Arch-Mage. Though if they’re as rare as is suggested, you might just have been unlucky in your pursuits.

Taniquetil
Site Admin

Post by Taniquetil »

Some suggested edits for grammar and style
Spoiler
Report: Characteristics and Behavior of Tamrielic Dragons
A strictly confidential report commissioned by the Arch-Mage of Evermore
By Andries Gottier, researcher and Evoker of the Mages Guild

Preface: This report concerns those dragons which likely originated in Tamriel - not to be confused with those dragons whose arrival in Tamriel can be traced to the Akaviri invasions. A distinction should also be drawn between true Tamrielic dragons and the so-called "dragonlings", folk myths and legends notwithstanding. (See M. Lareis' report on “draconization”).

Tamrielic dragons are intelligent, powerful beasts generally known to inhabit the west of Tamriel. Few have ever been sighted - mostly around the Wrothgarian and Dragontails mountain ranges, and nearby forests - and even fewer have had interactions with any men or mer. Characterization of these beasts has therefore proven quite difficult with such a limited pool of knowledge. Nevertheless, there are three prominent known Tamrielic dragons in recent history whose histories provide illustrative examples of their kind. The first, Skakmat, was the familiar of the late mystic Nulfaga, the Dowager Queen of Daggerfall. Tiber Imperator's dragon ally Nafaalilargus is no doubt familiar to Iliac readers. Finally, I am pleased to inform the Arch-Mage that I have confirmed the existence - and death - of the Dragonne Papré. (This - and other facts about the fate of the former Imperial Battlespire - should naturally be secured and shared only with caution).

Physiology: Dragons' sizes are oft reported as colossal, but firsthand observation of Skakmat indicates that individuals may vary in size, with a wingspan that can be as "small" as an average guildhall or immense enough to span a town. Many large dragons therefore choose to stay grounded, except for in the wilds, to avoid being located. All dragons seem to have two hind legs and two wings that also act like arms (similar to collected dragonling samples, but of course with a much larger wingspan), as opposed to the 4 legs of their Akaviri counterparts. A scaly, magic- and fire-resistant hide (sampled from Papré's corpse), seems to cover most of a dragon's body. Unlike the thick hide on the torso, dragons' wing webbing appears extremely elastic, though this is likely no indication of vulnerability - the tissue is intricately layered, and appears sturdy enough to withstand an attack by spell or sword. Other internal tissue and organs, including the eyes, mouth, and tongue, seem very quick to regenerate, though do show lasting damage when attacked. All tissue is observed to be light but strong, and resistant - but not impervious - to physical force exerted upon it. Piercing force seems particularly effective at breaking the skin.

Capabilities: Dragons' true capabilities are little-known and poorly documented. Generally, it is assumed that all dragons are capable of breathing fire and are immensely strong, making them deadly when engaged in physical combat. A member of the Order of the Hour traveled to the Wrothgarian Mountains before the Warp and suggested he had single-handedly killed dragons, though this has never been officially confirmed. Attempts to engage members of the Guild in Cyrodiil on the nature of Naafaalilargus met with little success, though I suspect that the Archmagisters may know things about the great drake-general we humbler guildfolk do not. (I kept our knowledge of Papré's existence to myself, of course.)

Behaviour: All reports indicate that dragons prefer to either live in solitude in the sparsely populated areas of the west (rural High Rock, Hammerfell, and Valenwood), or to participate in a symbiotic relationship with powerful men or mer - including the Empire. My use of the term symbiotic here is quite intentional - there is some evidence that the relationship between a mortal and their dragon familiar manifests physically, emotionally, and spiritually, though the specific details of such arrangements are unknown. Dragons are known to seek and accumulate physical and abstract manifestations of power or wealth, which they feel compelled to protect and guard. While we know little about personal relationships between known dragon-companions and their familiars, we do know that the character of these relationships can vary between the deeply intimate (as in the cases of Skakmat/Nulfaga and Papré/Samar) to more informal alliances of convenience (as in the case of Nafaalilargus and Tiber).

Conclusion: Despite my best efforts, I could not find any firm reason why a dragon has not contacted you, Arch-Mage. My suspicion is that dragons are simply too rare, prideful, and far from Evermore to reliably contact via astral or other remote means.
she/her

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

(New text for replacing the TR book metamorphosis)

Metamorphing The Elements
An ancient alchemist’s transcription on how to transform mundane elements into gold

It has been some time since I started this huge undertaking, this colossal effort, something that all the Direnni, nay, all Altmer can benefit from. Finally, I have approximated gold. Gold! That shiny, rare, expensive, malleable, durable, and most importantly, alchemically resistant material. The more wide employment of gold in our instrumentation and reaction vessel could cause a revolution of designs, just think of the possibilities.

My eagerness is getting ahead of me. The proposition was to approximate gold as close as possible by combining and infusing different elements and blends of elements with gold’s material properties, thereby creating it, or something indistinguishable to it.

We started our search with vetting and categorizing different materials based on property. The first on our list was malleability. It should be able to be hit by some of our strongest men, but not break, but rather deform. Secondly, it needed to be able to resist high heating temperatures without cracking or losing structure, so as to keep its material properties for further blending or modification. After looking through many of our gathered materials, seemingly only three seemed suitable; a small and unfortunate sample size. More was needed to further the research.

After a brief let-down and a small panic as to what to do next, a solution came to us unexpectedly when one of my associates accidently put one of the samples under high pressure when forgetting to close the steam generator. Under our soil, materials are compressed by the forces above, the compressed materials undergoes a reduction of size, but shows alchemical change in structure. This structure adding the desired property. We were able to collect a plethora of samples for further analysis.

Next, we had to match the criteria of inertness, purity and reflection. Reflection was easy, we just ground down a mirror and blended it in.

For inertness and purity however, we were stumped, and had to go into a more abstract direction. Inertness means that a material does not tarnish, and reacts with nothing. So therefore, we had to let it react with nothing. We made a small pump and filled a vessel with nothing, letting it stew for overnight to let everything react with nothing.

Purity wasn’t as straightforward. Purity means no contaminants, it means cleanliness. There are not many things that can be cleaned to such a high purity. We decided to use water for this, as it can be distilled many times, in an ever-increasing purer form. The purity was tested using a high-temperature flame, when mineral contaminants would be present, the flame would glow another colour. Our first distillate was heavily contaminated. However, after our seventyseventh distillate, no colour remained and so was pure to our standards. The seventyseventh-distillate water was blended into the mixture, leaving a brown slurry.

Needless to say that I was rather disappointed by our resulting product. There was something vital that we were missing in our mixture, even though we had most of the criteria covered... Brilliance! That was it, the last element. Though so many objects had this attribute; a rose, a book, myself, a bright light? Mundane objects failed to work. Though what was a higher form a brilliance, it surely must be the Divine, only they would have the highest form of brilliance. And so we procured a difficult to obtain ebony powder. With addition, the brown slurry started reacting. After a short while we saw gold specks forming. In one hour, the entire slurry had reacted and formed a small clump of gold, barely the size of my palm. We succeeded! Think of the possibilities, after some extra experiments I will report my findings, this will change the history of the Hegemony, nay, Nirn, forever.

Taniquetil
Site Admin

Post by Taniquetil »

I would keep the original name. Also, here are some suggested edits to make it sound a bit more archaic/authentic and fix some grammar stuff.
Spoiler
Metamorphosis
An ancient alchemist’s notes on transmutation into gold

It has been some time since I began this colossal effort, but it has been worth the decades of toil. All Direnni - nay, all Altmer - will benefit from my work. Finally, I have approximated gold. Gold! That most shiny, rare, malleable, durable, and most importantly, alchemically-resistant material is now only a reaction away.

Unlimited access to gold in our instrumentation and reaction vessels may cause a revolution in alchemy, and the wealth of the Hegemony may soon have no equal. My mind races with the possibilities, but my eagerness must not sully the specificity of my notes.

The proposition: to create true gold from ordinary matter, by combining different elements and infusing alchemical solutions that approximate gold’s material properties. To create a formula and process that can thereby create gold, or something indistinguishable to it, not merely once, but indefinitely, if provided with enough raw material.

I started my research by vetting and categorizing different materials based on property. The first on the list was malleability. A substance being transmuted into gold must be able to absorb the strongest mortal forces and not break, but bend. Secondly, the input needed to be able to resist high temperatures without cracking or losing structure - to retain its material properties for further blending or modification. Alas, it seemed only three substances met my strict standards; a small and unfortunate sample size. More samples were needed to further the research.

I did not let this setback affect my resolve, and the first inkling of a solution came to me unexpectedly, when one of my assistants mistakenly placed one of the samples under high pressure. Under the soil of Mother Nirn, materials are compressed by weight of the world above. These compressed materials undergo not just a reduction of size, but also show changes to their alchemical nature. With the same desired phenomenon thus initiated via artificial means, the first of many rudimentary samples was collected for further analysis.

Next, I was intent on matching true gold's unparalled inertness, purity, and reflection. Though I feared reflection would be the most difficult of these attributes to replicate, it was in fact no challenge at all, as some unknowable aspect of the pressurization process produced a surface as reflective as a mirror.

Inertness and purity, however, proved far more difficult. My mind began to wander through the repeated failures, until divine inspiration struck me, and I allowed my wisdom to lead me in a more abstract direction. Inertness means, of course, that a material does not tarnish, and reacts with nothing. I realized that my laboratory was filled with airs and moist humors, all of which were no doubt causing constant reactions on the substance. Only once I pumped the air from the substrate's container and allowed it to rest overnight was the desired inertness developed.

Finally, the contaminants needed to be removed. Purity is cleanliness, and few solutions can cleanse a substance to the necessary degree required for the approximation of true gold. Water was selected for this role, mundane as it may be, because it can be distilled many times, each result purer than the last. The distillate's purity was tested using a high-temperature flame to detect mineral contaminants, as is standard practice. Seventy-six distillates produced seventy-six colored flames. But the seventy-seventh yielded no color save the crisp orange of untainted fire. The seventy-seventh distillate of water was then blended into the substance, coating it in a brown slurry.

Yet there was something vital still missing. Brilliance, the final aspect of golden character. Brilliance is a common attribute; a rose, a book, myself, a bright light? All brilliant. Still, mundane objects failed to apply their luster to the substance. But there is a higher form of brilliance: that of the Divine. Through great difficulty and expense, I was able to procure a rare ebony powder. Upon application, the brown slurry reacted to the ebony, and after a short while, golden specks began to form. Within one hour, the entire slurry had reacted and formed a small clump of gold, barely the size of my palm.

Though I am eager to share the golden fruits of my labor, I must take care to document the detailed formulas I used in this process, lest they be lost forever.
she/her

ThomasRuz
HR427 Lead Dev

Post by ThomasRuz »

The Political Mannerisms of High Rock
By Taren Mhlaurel

Some think the Bretons are culturally the same, and that therefore by virtue, their politics are equally similar in form and function between the kingdoms. Nothing could be further from the truth. A Bayard inside of an Ostern court could barely survive for a week; and this is likewise the case for an Ostern in a Bayard court.

The Bayards are the most famous of the bunch, as their approach is mostly aimed at spectacle. It is long, theatrical, and has an equal finesse to words as it would be to play a musical instrument. It requires a lot of talent, skill and a long time to master. If even one note is out of place with the wrong crowd, you might as well put your head onto the chopping block.

Some would call this method “refined”, but personally I would call it unnecessarily drawn out and dull.

There are various small variations in the mannerisms of the courts however, which an outsider might not be able to catch with their limited experience.

Wayrest’s court puts more emphasis and importance on affluence, as exemplified by the Trade Princes and the various merchants in the court. Accusations and blackmail are very common there. Camlorn’s court puts more importance on land ownership and titles, and Daggerfall the standing with the royal family.

The courts of the Normen, in contrast, put a great importance on the honourable deeds of both the subject and their ancestors. For Normen that have had a particularly dark family history, it is rare to outshine that history, and will not be heard in court unless he does so (with good cause). Particular erroneous deeds are a basis for exile.

The Northpoint and Shornhelm courts appreciate different kind of deeds to gauge one’s honour. Northpoint generally favours the slaying of aquatic beasts who terrorize sailors and fishermen. While the Shornhelm court generally favors the slaying of undead or mountain beasts (Orcs also used to be on that list, but have since been removed).

The advantage of these court procedures is that the validity and credibility of subjects can be assessed rather quickly, without the need for explanation.

Lastly, there are the Ostern courts. The Ostern function on their famous “might makes right” basis, and therefore do not need to flaunt words around like the Bayards, or need a history of deeds like the Normen. When it comes purely to court discussion, the Ostern are blunt and direct; there is little reason to veil their words. Threatening them in their courts usually calls for the death of the subject in question. This “might makes right” approach usually make the courts of the Ostern more diverse than their Bayard or Normen counterparts.

Evermore’s court exists out of a small group of their strongest mages which have been granted the tile “Magister”. While the Farunnan court exists out of a mix of royals, knights, witches and reachmen representatives. The Jehannan court is the strangest out of the bunch, with their court seemingly consisting out of randomized members, with no coherency to speak of. The Jehannan court seems to be competent enough to govern however.

Taniquetil
Site Admin

Post by Taniquetil »

My suggested edits:
Spoiler
Political Mannerisms of High Rock
By Taren Mhlaurel

Contrary to popular belief, Bretons are culturally quite diverse. Their politics are equally diverse in form, style, and function. Outsiders may not appreciate the subtle distinctions between the courtly styles of High Rock, but to a Breton, they are integral to formal life.

Bayards' customs are the best known to the rest of Tamriel, because their primary diplomatic approach is spectacle. The Bayard diplomat is erudite, theatrical, and chooses their words as a bard might choose notes on a musical instrument. Of course, these customs require a great deal of talent, skill, and time to master. Even one note out of place with the wrong crowd might spell disaster for a diplomat's liege, or worse, for the envoy themselves.

Wayrest’s court puts more emphasis and importance on affluence than its counterparts in the western Bay. This reverence for wealth is best exemplified by the Trade Princes, whose influence on the politics of central High Rock is nigh-unparalleled. Accusations and blackmail are very common in Wayrest, though the obligatory facades of courtly custom and the power of the Queen keep the Princes mostly in check. Where the court of Wayrest prizes wealth, Camlorn’s court holds to the magisterial aura of formal titles. Standing with the royal family comes first in Daggerfall, and many a penniless noble or righteous commoner has risen above their station via friendship with the King.

The courts of the Normen, in contrast to the grandiosity of their southerly cousins, value above all the honorable deeds of the subject -- and those of their ancestors. Normen that have had a particularly dark family history are rarely able to escape its shadow. Without some great and heroic deed, such petitioners are rarely heard, even if they have committed no grave crimes of their own. Crimes committed within one's own lifetime are the pinnacle of this system of shame, and those found to have violated the complex Normen codes of honor often pay for their transgressions with exile, or worse.

The Northpoint and Shornhelm courts traditionally prize different kinds of deeds to gauge one’s honor. Northpoint generally favors the slaying of aquatic beasts who terrorize sailors and fishermen, while the Shornhelm court encourages would-be petitioners to slay restless undead or beasts of the mountains. Since the Emperor's recognition of Orcish citizenship, the beastfolk of the Wrothgarian mountains are no longer considered fashionable trophies. While this system of establishing honor may seem crude or even uncivilized to a foreigner accustomed to more "diplomatic" styles of subject-liege relationships, to the Normen, this informal structure of recognition for great deeds is a far more useful and timely way of establishing credibility than the ever-shifting webs of deception in southern courts.

Lastly, there are the Ostern courts. The Ostern function simply on the basis of might, and feel no need to flaunt words or wealth like the Bayards or commit great deeds like the Normen. The Ostern take what they will from those who cannot resist, and submit to those who can destroy them. In court discussion, the Ostern are blunt and direct. There is little reason to veil their words. Those who threaten an Ostern noble in court are usually challenged to an immediate duel. This “might makes right” approach makes the courts of the Ostern more diverse than their Bayard or Normen counterparts, both in origin and noble status.

Evermore’s "court" is unlike others in High Rock, and would be more accurately dubbed a "council". It's rulers are a small group of the city's strongest mages, each of whom has claimed the tile “Magister” from some weaker predecessor. Farrun's court is a diverse mix of nobles, landed knights (both Breton and otherwise), and Reachmen, all clamoring for the favor of the crown. Jehanna, finally, is oft dismissed by the other courts of the province as a incoherent rabble of witchfolk, mercenaries, and exiles, though all have been subdued by the occupying Jarldom imposed by the Nords of Haafinheim.
she/her

Return to “HR Literature”