83%
No
17%

Total votes: 6

SGMonkey
Site Admin

Graphic Herbalism

Post by SGMonkey »

As I am planning to start modelling flora for the first region of High Rock. I thought it would be best if I asked peoples opinions on the graphic herbalism mod.

I have always intended to implement plant containers in this way. I never play without GH, so why shouldn't I implement it from the get go?

So, what are your opinions on the subject? Implement it from the start or not?

SGMonkey
Site Admin

Post by SGMonkey »

So. I decided to go ahead and make a quick test of how I had planned to do things. I thought I'd start with my favourite, the Fly Agaric, or Fly Amanita as its known on Nirn.

If you'd like to have a look, it is placed in a cell called "SGFloraTest"

None of the models or textures are in any way final. I'd also like to alter the script. Either it gives you 4 ingredients, or it gives you a number based on your alchemy skill. We will see.

Cheers all, hope you like it.
Attachments
Data Files.7z
HR Graphic Herbalism
(2.51 MiB) Downloaded 371 times

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Oh, I love that model. As for the way of harvesting container plants, it is a break with the way it currently happens in other province mods. But that is one thing that could be patched to work the same way at some point. As already said on the previous forum, I don't mind eitherway. If you feel much stronger about this new way of handling containers, you should do it, just for the sake of feeling comfortable with what you do.

Lord Berandas
PT Modder

Post by Lord Berandas »

It's a good idea, but I think it should stay as standalone mod.

SGMonkey
Site Admin

Post by SGMonkey »

Why do you think that?

Lord Berandas
PT Modder

Post by Lord Berandas »

So it's consistent with other province mods, which don't have the herbalism mods included. For example, if I would create some cross-province-mods mod touching flora, I could have difficulties with HR, because the plants are handled in different way. Can't imagine exact problems, just from the consistency view I think it should be as standalone mod.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

While I can't speak for everyone, I personally would not have a problem with implementing graphic herbalism in P:C. It might be worthwhile to visit OpenMW, though, see if they plan to handle organic containers differently in post-1.0.

Tes96
PT Modder

Post by Tes96 »

Does it make any difference if you're running Graphic Herbalism or not? The containers just have a script attached to them so if you're not using Graphic Herbalism then you won't notice any difference in-game any ways. The scripts will just be inactive.
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

SGMonkey
Site Admin

Post by SGMonkey »

The scripts would be part of the High Rock plug-in. High Rock wouldn't be dependant on GH.

So if you weren't using GH, the flora containers would still function like GH ones. Scripts don't just deactivate like that.

Tes96
PT Modder

Post by Tes96 »

SGMonkey wrote:The scripts would be part of the High Rock plug-in. High Rock wouldn't be dependant on GH.

So if you weren't using GH, the flora containers would still function like GH ones. Scripts don't just deactivate like that.
Ah, I didn't know that. Mmm, well I like Graphic Herbalism as well but I'd say keep the functionality as close to vanilla as you can so that people can decide for themselves how they want the game to play. Some people might get upset seeing the containers disappear, etc... Besides, I speculate that Graphic Herbalism will be superseded by something better in years to come after OpenMW has been released.
I vote No for Graphic Herbalism.
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Return to “HR General Discussion”