Olenveld

Any province related discussion not fitting into other categories
roerich
Cruel Warlord

Olenveld

Post by roerich »

All right, I have never heard of this:
Olenveld is an island off the coast of Skyrim, a day's sail in favorable conditions from Winterhold.

The island originally hosted a significant city, although it was abandoned some time in the Second Era.[1] Tiber Septim used Olenveld as his own personal graveyard, lining its abandoned streets with gravestones. Eventually the island city was forgotten, and Olenveld disappeared from the maps.[2]

After Hannibal Traven became the Arch-Mage of the Mages Guild circa 3E 431,[3] he introduced a ban on necromancy in the guild. Forced to go into hiding, a group of necromancers set out to find Olenveld and its plentiful supply of bodies. After spending a week searching for the island, they set up shop in the old Mages Guild building and became somewhat well-known for their ability to preserve sickly children by turning them undead.[2]
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Olenveld" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds like quite the eerie location.

We could add this sometime in the future. A small frozen island, 4-6 cells tops. The abandoned Mage's Guild being one of the only interiors on the island, otherwise dotted with ruined buildings and graveyards. No inhabitants but ghosts. The player could help a group of Necromancers do research on how to find the island.

Not anything we need to be concerned about now, but posted for posterity.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

Isn't the necromancy ban an Oblivion thing? I'm sure it happened after our mod's time period, at least.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

It is, but my reasoning was that some Necromancers probably saw in what direction the wind was blowing.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

That's true. I'm not sure how much of Oblivion we want to acknowledge in our mod, though. The necromancy ban may be the future in Bethesda's lore, but it needn't be the future in our lore.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Either way this was just for future reference. No need to be bothered by it now.
- Taniquetil

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

Oh, I'm not bothered. It sounds like a cool location, no matter what backstory we go with it. Thanks for bringing it up, roerich.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Could be a cool little addition to have indeed! Would fit right in within the Sea of Ghosts.

Another thing, as the island would be very snowy, small and barren/abandoned, it wouldn't be the most time-consuming claim either.
- Taniquetil

Return to “SHotN Skyrim Discussion”