Finding names

Any province related discussion not fitting into other categories
worsas
Project Administrator

Finding names

Post by worsas »

We are still in need of a few names. And here is a list (once again)!

- A name for the Farmland Region without 'karth' in it.
- A better name for Aegorth, since it isn't an orc beverage like Ungorth. It should be derived from reach-speech.
- Maybe a better name for Gyrrg? Should be derived from reach-speech.
- Maybe rename Felsundhal into Beaurichal or Borichal (nordified), according to the hrafnirs unfinished Colovian vokabulary. Colovian seems rather close to Nordic in many places and the town is right at the southern tip of The Reach. Bearichal or Borichal both sound pretty good and not as obviously derived from German as Felsundhal.

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

I like Borichal.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

How about "Aeli" instead of Aegorth?

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I like Gyrrg, and I liked Felsundhal as well. Borichal is acceptable though.

Aeli sounds good.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I don't mind keeping Felsundhal, too. I just thought it would be possible to establish a joint spot to P:C by using some parts of the colovian vocabulary. And Borichal or Baurichal both sound pretty nordic to me.

Instead of Aeli, we could also use Ayeli. Just a possibility that still came to my mind yesterday.

And for the Farmland, crap, I do have a region name with karth in it: Midkarth County. A certain name resemblance to a place in real world viking religion intended.

Gyrrg is probably fine as it is.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Gyrrg is cool, it sounds a little like real world grog or glogg, and I think both of these connotations fits the nature of this beverage. Aeli is good though. I'd keep Felsundhal too, I think it sticked already. Wouldn't really oppose against changing it to something else though.

Midkarth would make a great name on it's own, but we already have Karth (obviously), Karthwasten, Karthgad, Aldkarth. It's probably too much. Maybe something derived from the plants cultivated there (apples, wines..?)? Vinberg Fields?

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

On a second look, I think I prefer Baurichal to Borichal, though I wouldn't mind keeping Felsundhal either. Basically, I'm super indecisive. :lol:

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

For future settlements, we should remember this book from TES V: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Holding ... rl_Gjalund" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We already have plans for Granite Hall and Old Hrol'dan (and Bromjunaar once), but I think we should include or take inspiration from the following as well:
Bromjunaar - BROMJUN1R- An Old Settlement, much Reduced from Former Days. Lumber and Stone.
Korvanjund - KORVANJUND- A Small Fortified Settlement. Hides and Meat.
Volunruud - VOLUNR5D - A Fortified Wooden Hall near Giants' Gap. Meat and Worked Ivory.
Hillgrund's Steading - HILLGRUNDHOFKAH - A Large Farmstead Near the Base of the Monahven. Grain, Mead, Honey.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Return to “SHotN Skyrim Discussion”