General fortress ruins

Any province related discussion not fitting into other categories
worsas
Project Administrator

General fortress ruins

Post by worsas »

We still need a general fortress ruin type for newer nord? fortress ruins.

http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Military_Forts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (many of the fortresses herein are of imperial origin, though)

We are lacking variety of ruins for the area beyond the Reach and obviously we cannot fill everything with caves, barrows or merethic era fortifications. We could use the impruin assets for general ruined or semi-functional fortresses across the province. Maybe prefer the quadratic structures for the general fortifications and only use the Oblivion-esque circular tower ruins for fortresses that are clearly coastal fortresses of the second empire.

Looking at the list of ruined fortifications in TES V makes me want to re-evaluate our fortress locations. There is the Fort Sunguard in TES V, situated at the border between Falkreath, The Reach and Whiterun Hold, which is occupied by the Forsworn at the timeframe of TES V. This probably clashes with our planned Fort Tiber. We can ignore it or search for a compromise between our version of Skyrim and TES Vs. Maybe we should work out a complete location map like the one Infragris has made for P:C. With all the micro-detail planning going on lately, I keep forgetting about the overall picture.

We could also make nord fortresses by using the wallset originally made for Markarth. Though that set would ideally become more nordified yet. It looks great, but there is nothing making it distinctively nordic in appearance.

Back in the days when Lestat remade the imperial fortresses from Oblivion, the plan was to additionally use those for nord fortress ruins anyway. But I forgot about that later.

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

Editing the markarth set would be cool, but yet more models. I don't really have an opinion on this... :)
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Luxray wrote:Editing the markarth set would be cool, but yet more models. I don't really have an opinion on this... :)
We can just aswell keep it for cities like Haafingar, in which case I don't think it will need editing. Actually, I would be in favour of this limited usage. The castle set has got a nice flair, as it is and fudging around would probably mostly serve to remove much of it. Also, using this wallset for Haafingar would show the proximity to highrock and how imperialized the hold is.

The rectangular part of the impruin set is probably just fine for fortress ruins whose origin is unclear, like many of those in TES V.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I agree in saving the Markarth set for Haafingar. As you wrote, it emphasizes the Imperial influence on the city.

The first era Nord forts should emulate the barrow set aesthetic - large stone blocks, great scale, etc. I'm not sure about newer Nord ruins. Could be mostly wooden, with a stone block foundation?
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

The first era Nord forts should emulate the barrow set aesthetic - large stone blocks, great scale, etc. I'm not sure about newer Nord ruins. Could be mostly wooden, with a stone block foundation?
I have asked Berandas for help on the fortifications of the first empire of the nords and before, which would exactly show what you are referring to: Large stone blocks and similarity with barrow structures. I don't know how long he will take for them, as I have told him to take himself as long as he likes. He's done very much for the mod recently.

If we want take the effort of creating more distinctive nord fortresses of newer times, we should take ourselves some time for making up a neat visual concept.

Return to “SHotN Skyrim Discussion”