Cyrodiil Creatures

Any province related discussion not fitting into other categories
R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Infragris wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:30 am Muskrat: discussion of this was kind of forgotten, but it was a concept that always stayed by me. A bit of retex and slight mesh edits of the basic rat model would do. Normal rats can still be used in interior locations. Advantage: rats are cliche; muskrats would feel new and their fur would fit the GC color palette better.
Nice, but I'm not sure these would be interesting as an encounter, as opposed to "eyecandy" creature. If we're gonna replace rats with them, how about giving these muskrats some solenodon traits, for example?
Alphyn
Fyn
Can't wait for these to be implemented! Will use this opportunity to bump the idea for Cyrodiilic pseudoavians forelimb shapes.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Please note that I will not be working on new creatures for quite some time due to time limitations and personal priorities. You cannot count on me for the implementation of these creature ideas. I hope this does not sound egocentric, but at this point I'm not aware of other regularly active members that are capable of creating them. Though I would love to be proven wrong.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

That's cool, worsas, it was not my intention to put pressure on you. I just want to add these creatures to claims in case someone qualified or willing to learn can take them up.

Saint_Jiub
P:C Council Member

Post by Saint_Jiub »

I'd like to help with the muskrat textures, it probably won't be right away though.

Re: Durzog, we can take them out of the bestiary if there's strong sentiment against them. Mountain lions i agree we can make cooler - maybe a leopard/cheetah-esque texture and model it after the neofelis concept to tie them to the leopard pelt seen on the female legion cuirass?

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Drew up some concepts for the other tantha sub-species:

If you refer to my last bestiary post, the morla is the new name for the cardoon, and the pinga is the new name for the makon.

EDIT:

Additional concept art:

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Continuing to tweak the model/textures for the Spriggan - I'm leaning toward having her be unique to Colovia, and have some other spirit (nereid, possibly?) fill that niche for Nibenay. Additional concepts will soon be incoming.

EDIT: Ingame screenshot:

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Looking good, I like the latest set of animal concepts too. The coutal is pretty much how I imagined it as well. I like this ant-eater theme for some of the domesticated creatures of the Nibenay; iirc there was a concept of Nibenese landowners cultivating termite hills for their cattle.

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Thanks :) I spliced my critter into the Coutal concept, and I'm thinking we can introduce them as a livestock originally dometicated by the Kothringi, and later adopted by the other Nedic tribes that became modern Nibenay.

Aside from that, a couple of notes:

1) I decided to play tigers straight visually speaking - since we're already making them more fantastic in terms of their role in the world, I thought it was better to ground them visually in reality. IIRC there were some concepts floating around here of tigers with scales and draconian tails, but IMO if we're going to make them weird both visually and in lore, we might as well call them something other than tiger.

2) "Painted leopard" is the common name for Neofelis Nibennium - in the midst of my Google-fu, I learned that the Latin name for the clouded leopard IRL is Neofelis Nebulosa. The painted leopard is so named for its brightly-hued fur (in Predator's original concept art, it was maroon) and the shape of its spots, which resembles ink blots on parchment. An important cult in the Nibenese totem-society venerates this creature, and the Harn-Etar armor is modeled after it.

I'm still working on new and/or updated concepts for the following creatures:
  • Troll
  • Petty Troll
  • Carnelian Snail
  • Newt
  • Nereid (refer to my earlier Rusalka proposal)
  • River-Drake (Tinmi Dragon, per TR's bestiary?)
  • Rubicator
So, quick rundown of our bestiary in total:

Animals (natural denizens of the environment)
======
Bear*
Wolf*
White Wolf*
Rat*
Muskrat
Moon Crab*
Slaughterfish*
Deer
Horse*
Donkey*
Goat*
Cow*
Tantha
Morla
Pinga
Fynne
Alphyn
Kelpii
Bullfrog
Gila
Snake
River Newt
Coutal
River-Drake
Painted Leopard
Petty Troll
Troll
Passive fish - Colovia*
Seagull*
Hawk
Nibenese fish
Tropical birds

Monsters (supernatural creatures, rooted in religion/culture/magic/Oblivion)
======
Lamia*
Minotaur*
Trebataur
Morihayn
Goblin*
Spriggan*
Ur-Fjeron
Sload
Mummy
Ayleid Guardian
Living Statue - Ayleid/Reman
Ghost/Wraith
Nereid
Rubicator
Tiger

*Done

Obviously this list is pretty extensive - if anything, it can probably stand to be pruned down quite a bit. With everyone else's permission, I'd like to start winding down discussion of new creatures - moving forward, we should be discussing the best way to implement our bestiary into the world or even areas where we can consolidate it elements of it.
Last edited by Saint_Jiub on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Undertaker
Forumite

Post by Undertaker »

What does "ur" suppose to mean? Because Ur-Fjeron might be too close to Dagoth Ur considering the latter being pretty important.

Regarding liches I would love something similar to this one

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

It's due fora name change truth be told, I just haven't found anything I like better yet. - when I named it, I had it in my brain that "Ur" was an honorific meaning something like "Great", but it actually means "First/Original", so Adamantine is the Ur-Tower, Nocturnal is the Ur-dra, and Voryn Dagoth is Dagoth Ur.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Yeah, I think we've reached critical mass for new creature proposals. I think we can continue with a strong Colovian focus for now: we have a general idea of Nibenese fauna, which we can revisit later on.

I like the idea of Nereids as a Niben-based alternative for Spriggans - fits well with the river theme. We'll have to distinguish them visually and thematically from Lamias, though.

We likely won't have traditional lichs, since that kind of necromancy is not native to the Nibenay. The Moth-Eaters fill that niche, although they are not really the skull 'n bones type.

The concept of the Carnelian snail is based on the purple dye murex, so ideally the shell should look something like that. Just, you know, much bigger.

I see you've left the Gila from that list - is that intentional? I kind of wanted to use them as a crocodile analogue for Blackwood.

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Oops, added now and removed the lich. The moth-eater is probably going to be best served as a unique enemy class like the Mabrigash, rather than a creature.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

How are those minotaur variants coming along, btw? If you can post them somewhere next week I can include them in the next data update straight away.

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

I'll post what I have for the minotaur & trebataur - I'm hoping R-Zero would be willing to make the mesh edits for the Morihayn - really we just need the gold ornaments, maybe a different horn shape, and the wings. Would we want the wings to be full 3D, or would a couple of alpha planes on the back be sufficient?

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Full or at least partial 3D would be best. Alpha planes tend to look weird in some light situations.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Puddles permission request is now here:
viewtopic.php?f=68&p=10831#p10831

Return to “P:C Cyrodiil Discussion”