The Account of Nilichi, King of Flowers

Anumaril
PT Modder

Post by Anumaril » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:25 pm

First in a (hopeful) series of texts expanding on the many Ayleid lords mentioned by little more than name, as well as providing more tales of Pelinal and others of the period. Meant not as absolute fact, but as one scholar's translation/interpretation of rare Ayleid texts and stories regarding the subject.

Translated and collected by Raelys the Signifier

This Account, and it’s brethren, were painstakingly arranged from preserved and collected works across Tamriel. Interpretation between scholars may vary, however, the utmost care has been given to include exclusively legitimate Ayleid transcriptions.

- - - - -

The Blooming of Ald Adabala

In the age of the Ayleid, in the western reaches of Ald Cyrod, was the city-state of Nilichiit; built upon a colossal hill and ruled by the zealotous Nilichi, King of Flowers. His domain was that of anon Colovia, and his vassals the jovial Men-of-Ge, whose worship was of the Welkyndvar. His kingdom was one of peace and prosperity, acclaimed by even it’s rivals for it’s glorious Column of Merid-Nundel, reaching higher than any jungled incline of the Highlands. However, it came to pass that Nilichi made contact with the creature Moravagea, or how it was known in that place. Writhing it’s way into the Bloom-Lord’s service, it revealed to the Ayleid the ‘tamalatu’, and the life-prince-to-be, how that sphere was stolen by the Ge-thief Merid-Nunda, and the prerogative of the bereft arthropod.

Inspired, Nilichi waged faith-war on the Ge-dra, defacing every visage and silencing each spoken word of the prince within his domain. Many came from places known and unknown, here and where, forgotten faces or those not yet known; merely three are enumerated whose people went on formed in the plane that is. First came the suppliant Men-of-Ge, culled by way of blossomed transmutation. Then came the faithful of Miscarcand, numbers exceeding even that of lost, or soon to be, Delodiil (Whose eidolons of umbrage are said to still clash against blooming Nilichiit each sodden season). It was at Ceysele, anon Talwinque, that the Miscarcandav and their epicine lord Nilyondil of the Salt perished by the floriated shade-swarm of Nilichi; of which no better convenience could the Star that would be known as Al-Esh have shone, for with callous Nilichi, they negotiated a sparing peace.

Wilten-Star and the Autaracey

It was not until the fall of Tor before the Wilten-Star made way to the blossomed slope of Nilichiit, whereupon scent of the charnel petals, he first knew sorrow. Awaiting the Alessian nonpareil was the Flower King, razor-like feathers arrayed in a bloom about his figure, and the roots of his faithful decorated about him, each singing recounts of their ancestors. Those runed cords chuckled at the sight of the Third, for his left-light gleaming compelled unto his character a visage of whited sepulchers. In response, the crusader disgraced the insectoid deity of Nilichiit, removing his boot to smear the very concept of it across the firmament, expectorating onto his soiled foot so as to exclusively remove the stain of the verminous would-be Prince.

Affronted by the act, the Ayleid unleashed a flurried veil of petals toward the knight, each of greater innocence than the last; surrounding Pellav and obscuring all but the ground beneath him; yet through reticent will and Mnem-begged reverence for saints elect, the knight flashed a light so great, it dissolved the swarming blades and blinded the Blossom-Lord to the illuminated world. Yet to the Wilten-Star’s vexation, Nilichi’s reliance on the light had long since faded. Adumbral blossoms of possibility surrounded him, demanding great vivacity of Nilichi. Biting beings of foreign planes closed in on the Slave Queen’s Prayer, but the silver-clad knight appealed to the insight of Jhunal-ianos, and flung his divine aegis to the Biters, leaping from ground to it’s blood-stained surface, and landing sword-first atop the King of Flowers.

In spite of the ostensible victory, rage consumed the knight; for the Ayleids’ scourge had wrest each adorned vertebrae, cleaved the Sorcerer-King through, lifted him high and begged his blood run onto his future-make flesh; and still, nothing could erase the scent of Mer-life from the air, nor silence the raging impulse within the knight. Residing in other-shadow, the Ayleid lord could not be purged in that make-plane, and so Pellav unleashed a mighty rage, leveling the hill upon which Nilichiit stood until only a field of macabre blossom remained.

- - - - -

It is from this act of divine rage that we find the Nilichiit Fields, to this day remaining untouched by civilization, it’s perturbed beauty intimidating all but the most dedicated of pilgrims. Still, within the Iliac Bay, remnants of Nilichi’s faith persists in the Daedra Meridia’s recognition as the Lady of Greed, though the verity behind this notion has been lost to all but the Balfierans.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Re: The Account of Nilichi, King of Flowers

Post by Infragris » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:46 am

This is very well written, really fleshes out the nature of the Ayleid and the sorceror-kings. I only have only one remark: the settlement of Delodiil mentioned in the second paragraph still exists in modern Cyrodiil. Perhaps you meant Celediil, unmade in Pelinaline fury?

For the Ayleid ruins, we are hoping to feature several sorceror-kings as unique enemies, similar to the named Ash Vampires in the Sixth House strongholds. This will really help in designing them and grounding them in the world. One thing to keep in mind for future texts: it would be nice if we could use fragmented or semi-translatable text for miscellaneous scrolls and stone inscriptions in Ayleid ruins themselves, instead of as scholarly texts that can't feature in the ruins (though these are in themselves quite valuable to flesh out the Ayleidophile Imperials). Something like the Hanging Gardens of Wasten Choridale. This would also require texts to not mention the Alessian Rebellion, since this dates them to the post-Alessian diaspora or Ayleid enclaves 9and it makes sense for the most important/widespread texts to be written during the height of the Hegemony).

Seeing your focus on the Ayleid sorcerer-kings, you maybe also be interested in some of the preliminary work in the "history and background of..." lore threads, which deal with the Ayleid presence in the west, and (obligatory self-plug) the War of the Birds text.

Anumaril
PT Modder

Post by Anumaril » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:20 pm

Regarding Delodiil, much of ESO's story revolves around a Meridian city known as such, having disappeared and likely becoming the Hollow City seen within Coldharbour. My assumption was that the Ayleid city within ESO and that mentioned within the Remanada are two separate settlements, the latter being built upon the land the former disappeared from, hence why the Delodiil I refer to is 'lost Delodiil'. I know we're being selective with the lore here, but I personally imagine a background like this would make the settlement a little more interesting, having been built on the site of an Ayleid city that completely vanished.

Way ahead of you on the fragmented texts, working on something of that vein regarding Nilichi's [lost] insect god (hoping he could surface as one of these unique enemies). My fleshing out of these Ayleid lords would be composed of a few texts, some being of historical tale like this, and others of use largely to scholars, such as the fragmented ones (which would include quite an amount of untranslated Ayleidoon). Next I planned to write on Gordhaur the Shaper of Ninendava, unless a lord of closer vicinity to the Gold Coast would be of more use to the project.

Thanks for the reading suggestions, I'll check them out; I've seen your War of the Birds and was very impressed.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:58 am

I admit most of my opinions on the Ayleid were shaped before ESO came out, and I am reluctant to change them. I was (with some exceptions) not very impressed with ESO's treatment of the Ayleid. For our Morrowind-era treatment of Delodiil, I am basing it's nature on the mention in the Remanada, which places it in the same category as the western kingdoms of Anvil, Sarchal and Falkreath - Colovian, in other words, and second Empire at that. Come to think of it, it could be an Ayleid enclave turned city: the Ayleids survived longer in the west than in the Alessian east.

Anumaril
PT Modder

Post by Anumaril » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:47 am

I too was rather let down by ESO's Ayleid, however, there are a few gems among their many pieces of lore. Delodiil as seen in the Remanada and PC's Delodiil would certainly be Colovian, the Ayleid city of ESO that once stood has not existed for centuries, and having been teleported into Oblivion, there would be little evidence of the city outside folklore. Considering this, I can imagine old tales surrounding the city to speak of the Delodiil that was, and perhaps some aged evidence may exist in caverns nearby the settlement or within Ayleid texts and stories (such as what I've written); adding to the mystery and perhaps the Imperial Archaeological Society's interest in the settlement.

Return to “P:C Literature”