Arguments for the Absorption of Mysticism

Sentris
Forumite

Arguments for the Absorption of Mysticism

Post by Sentris »

Arguments for the Absorption of Mysticism and an Open Letter to its Practitioners
by Canctus Vilia, Master of Alteration

As any experienced mage should know, the school of mysticism has brought very little to the table in terms of academic value or magical advancement, as well as having little practical value for anyone.

The most common argument for mysticism is that its teleportation spells have been a saving grace to many a pilgrim, and yes, this is true. However, if we can predict and understand almost every step of the teleportation process, can it truly be categorized as mysticism? Could they not be considered as falling under alteration, as they have a physical effect in the world? Namely, the effect being movement of the caster from one point to another.

Many other spells within the book of mysticism don't seem to fit the categorization either; for example, spells that allow the caster to absorb and reflect spell effects. Are these not simply extensions of existing alteration spells, shield spells made for a wider variety of attacks?

While it's not uncommon to have a spell fit multiple categories, we don't actually have a true description of what mysticism is, only what it is NOT. This is one of my largest complaints with the existence of the school; if it can't truly be given a description, why is it given a categorization?

Other spells offered by the school include some miscellany such as telekinesis, or the detection of creatures, keys and enchantments. Telekinesis is, in all but categorization, an alteration spell, but is still considered to belong to mysticism. The spell is cast for the express purpose of having an effect on the physical world, a key trait of any alteration spell.

On the detection of animals, keys and enchantments, could these not fall under the purview of illusion mages? They induce an effect in the caster that can only be described as an illusion, causing the desired item to light up in their vision, while having no change on the greater world or on others. As such, these spells surely do not belong in the category they're in, no?

I beg the council of mages for at least some action on this matter, as I and several of my colleagues feel the current categorization of mysticism is too vague and misleading, easily confusing some aspiring mages, namely students of alteration. While I know the dissolution of the school is extreme, I feel it is in the best interest of mages everywhere.

If my previous solution is too unsavory, I would provide others to this problem; a reevaluation of the description for mysticism, and if possible, a change to said description to allow for a more concise, unambiguous description. Another solution I feel would be appropriate is a recategorization of spells under the purview of mysticism, though this hardly rectifies my grievances with the school.

Any action the council of mages could take on this matter would be greatly appreciated, not only by me, but my colleagues, my students and mages all across the Empire.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

This is a pretty good text, just a couple of minor spelling/grammatical issues which can be sorted out in merging.

Return to “P:C Literature”