View and discuss completed claims
Yeti
Lead Dev

Haimtír Quest: Ghoul Hunt [Texafornian]

Post by Yeti »

[Credit to roerich for the original quest idea]

Ghoul hunt

Asking about latest rumors in Haimtír will get the following response:
Not long ago, a group of weird people came through here. An utterly unpleasant lot, clad in rags and stinking like corpses. After we found them scavenging through the ruins, Farkon and his men chased them away. He might know more, if you ask him.
Talking to Farkon to start a quest to investigate this strange group:

Farkon

weird people
Yes, we chased those wretches until they were off the mesa. You should've seen them run! Dirty thieves. There was something off about them, I tell ya.
player choice -> continue
Saw them crawling through the ruins, like beasts. Sent a shiver down my spine, when I saw one of them gnawing on a human bone! When we returned, we discovered they had snatched a bunch of valuables from around town.
player choice -> continue
You seem like a competent fellow. If you find these bastards, would you please make an end of them, and bring back the stolen goods? I'll make sure you get a fine reward.
player choice -> yes
Very good! We last saw the scum running to the western end of the mesa. Probably gone to hide in a cave. You can start there.
player choice -> no
Bah, you’re just as cowardly as the rest of the villagers. Be off with ya.
The weird people is a travelling cult of Namira worshipers, the Cult of the Smiling Ghoul. They travel around in the wake of war and famine to prey on the fallen and the weak. After being chased from the Briag Cnoss mesa, they have hidden in a location near Mirilstern.

The player can kill them and bring back the belongings to Haimtir. Talking to the head of the Karthwasten Imperial Cult, reporting the cult activity and that the player has dealt with them, will give the player a disposition increase as well as one reputation point.

Alternately, the player could bargain with the cult, performing some foul task for them in exchange for the goods they stole from Haimtír.

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

What kind of foul task would the Namirans want? Maybe to take care of a local necromancer who is stealing all the fresh bodies? Having to kill Rilor Draan in Karthwasten would be fun.
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Good suggestion! If only we had any local crypts, it could be stealing the key to there. But taking care of a rival seems fair.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Alternatively, we could cut out the part about them having stolen something. The people in Haimtír might just want them gone, but the cult won't leave freely. So, either kill 'em all or perform some morally dubious task to make them leave.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Just seeking clarification here: The quest proposal suggests that the cult ran west, but Mirilstern is east of Haimtír. There are ruins, however, west of the village. There's even an unoccupied interior, Briagmar Mine, just a stone's throw away from them.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

tThe direction doesn't matter. That mine sounds like an ideal spot to put them in!
- Taniquetil

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

I'd like to claim this while I wait for more feedback on my TG submission.

In addition to the ideas above, I'm envisioning an additional option where the player can inform Rilor Draan that he's wanted dead by the cult (if the player doesn't immediately kill them). Rilor would create something to take to the cult such as "proof" of his death and it'd wipe them out after the player leaves the cell/finishes the quest. If that's too long-winded or awkward to implement, I'd just go with the original quest ideas.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Grant!

I think we'd need a deeper explanation for the cult trying to kill Draan than just him being a necromancer. Maybe they have a shared past in Cyrodiil?
- Taniquetil

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Ready for review!

I highly recommend using the latest Sky_Main (Sky_Main_2018-03-16.esp) as it was built from that and uses its dialog placeholders. Start the quest by going to Haimtir and either asking about "latest rumors" or going straight to Farkon. There are multiple ways to finish it.
Attachments
Clean_Sky_qRe_HA1_GhoulHunt.ESP
Sky_Main_2018-03-16
(39.11 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Here's v2 with fixes to things brought up on Discord:

- Added a "Who are you" bit to Verina's forcegreeting
- Added an introductory line to Farkon's greeting, moved the journal update to the first "weird people" entry
- Clarified Rilor's skull instructions
- Increased Rilor's reward to 225 gold + a summon skeleton amulet
- Added "Rilor Draan" topic entries for Karthwasten rich/poor NPCs (only appears when you talk to the cultists)
Attachments
Clean_Sky_qRe_HA1_GhoulHunt_v2.ESP
Requires Sky_Main_2018-03-16
(41.8 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

v3 attached.

Fixed/clarified some things that Torlof pointed out on Discord.
Attachments
Clean_Sky_qRe_HA1_GhoulHunt_v3.ESP
Requires Sky_Main_2018-03-16.esp
(41.86 KiB) Downloaded 176 times

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Another small set of fixes. There will likely be one more version uploaded after this one.

v4:
- Cultist Leader no longer repeats her initial greeting if you talk to her again after finishing her task
- The cultists should now disable properly on cellchange if you complete their task

To Do:
- Add new cultist-specific disease greeting
- Add line to Farkon's initial journal entry with rough directions to the mine
- Try a specific T_Sky leveled list instead of the generic melee leveled list (sometimes doesn't give the skeletons a weapon?)
Attachments
Clean_Sky_qRe_HA1_GhoulHunt_v4.ESP
(42.15 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

This is the final version, barring some major bug, and should be ready for merging. So far, the claim has been playtested by at least myself, roerich, Torlof, and mort.

v5:
- Cultist leader now gives you a "Noxious Shortsword" if you help the cultists (just a minor reward)
- Added placeholders for "SHOTN Greeting 1" and cleaned the vanilla entries on either side of them
- Moved the cultist leader's initial forcegreeting to Greeting 1 to give it priority over, for example, diseased greetings
- Added new cultist-specific disease greeting via Sky_Namira local var declared in all cultist local scripts
- Changed a line in one of Farkon's journal entries to point the player in the direction of the mine instead of the ruins
- Fixed the Skeletal Servants' lack of weapons
Attachments
Clean_Sky_qRe_HA1_GhoulHunt_v5.ESP
(44.71 KiB) Downloaded 211 times

Iskuss1418
PT Reviewer

Post by Iskuss1418 »

This has been playtested and merged. Should be moved to completed

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »