Blocked From Worship (Sky_qRe_KG03) [Violet]

View and discuss completed claims
Luxray
Cat Herder

Blocked From Worship (Sky_qRe_KG03) [Violet]

Post by Luxray »

Blocked From Worship (Sky_qRe_KG03)

When spoken to in her home Karthgad's shaman Jolna Bear-Voice will chastise the player for interrupting her rituals, saying offhand that she's had a hard time performing her duties lately because she can't visit Kyne's shrine in the Vorndgad Forest (cell: -106,14). If asked about this, she'll explain that a "foolish" spriggan calling itself Harwyleth has made itself the shrine's guardian and won't let any man or woman approach the sacred site.
Deep in the forest, you can find a little clearing. There is a sacred shrine to Kyne there, built in ancient days. Birds of all kinds gather around the altar, day or night, praising the goddess with their songs.
Note: Reuse this dialogue for the quest and give Jolna Bear-Voice a different response to the Karthgad topic.

Sensing an opportunity, Jolna will ask if the player would make himself or herself useful by killing the pesky creature. No honorable warrior of the Bear Clan would dare defile a sacred shrine of Kyne with bloodshed, but for an outsider with no honor, it would hardly matter.

When confronted, Harwyleth will tell the player that the Bear Clan has fallen into wickedness and does not deserve to worship at Kyne's shrine. The player can either spare the spriggan, enraging Jolna upon return, or do what the shaman had ordered.

Claim thread for Violet
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

Violet
Lead Dev

Post by Violet »

Yeup gonna start it now.

Violet
Lead Dev

Post by Violet »

Here's a verysmall start.

Blocked From Worship Changelog v1.0

Note: Not in a playable state atm. Currently only Journal and some placeholder dialogue is in.

Things left to do:

-Everything else (including cleaning the file, as I usually wait 'til the claim's in a playable state before doing any of that).
Blocked From Worship v1.0.ESP
(6.97 KiB) Downloaded 179 times

Violet
Lead Dev

Post by Violet »

Small update.

Blocked From Worship Changelog v1.1

Done:

-Placeholders for everything I'll need done. It *should* be playable right now if you feel like reading placeholder dialogue (really, the only thing that *isn't* placeholder is Journal entries). Likewise while the quest should be completable minus any bugs, there's no reward other than faction rep boost with the Bear Clan (I'll include a physical reward too, but not right now).

Things left to do:

-Cleaning
-Playtesting
-Adding a physical reward for the quest.
-Replacing placeholders

Blocked From Worship v1.1.ESP
(12.64 KiB) Downloaded 192 times

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Just a few suggestions that I think would add to the quest:

1) A failstate if the player kills Jolna during the quest.
2) An initial dialog entry (Journal state 0) for Jolna's quest topic with a check for the global "Sky_qRe_KG03_glb_Dead > 0" to advance the quest if the player kills Harwyleth before starting the quest.
3) Update the journal when the player kills Harwyleth during the quest.

These changes would allow you to avoid using GetDeadCount which is extremely slow, especially on big save files.

I wrote two local scripts, one for Harwyleth and another for Jolna, but two new journal entries (1 and 3 above) would be needed, along with changes to the "##" journal state placeholders in the new scripts. The global "Sky_qRe_KG03_glb_Dead" would have to be added prior to adding the scripts.

Sky_qRe_KG03_sc_Harwyleth: https://pastebin.com/rphwf8ch
Sky_qRe_KG03_sc_Jolna: https://pastebin.com/kzKCj7uw

Violet
Lead Dev

Post by Violet »

Thank you, Tex!

I want to avoid using Globals if I can. I did heavily edit your pastebin scripts so that they use a doonce script instead of a Global though (I've yet to test any of this in game, so I'm not sure if they work).

Very slow progress on dialogue, but it's getting there. Once again - nothing's tested yet, nothing's cleaned yet.
Blocked From Worship v1.2.ESP
(16.37 KiB) Downloaded 174 times

Violet
Lead Dev

Post by Violet »

Clean Blocked From Worship v1.3 Changelog

-Added "Kyne' topic with some generic copy-paste lines. (Forgot to include the Nordic Pantheon link)
-Added more lines to the quest.
-Added another ending.
-Had Harwyleth give you the Greenery Ring.

Nothing tested yet, still has dialogue to go.
Attachments
Clean Blocked From Worship v1.3.ESP
(21.43 KiB) Downloaded 147 times

Violet
Lead Dev

Post by Violet »

Clean Blocked From Worship Changelog v1.4

Done:

-All placeholder dialogue should be taken care of, including directions and pretty much everything.
-Gave every ending a run through until all the bugs squashed (most paths I've only played once however, as those were the ones that didn't have any bugs that I noticed).

Known issues:

-None.

Testing walkthrough, this is what is intended to happen:

-Go to Karthgad and speak to Jolna Bear-Voice or ask about latest rumors and you can get some details.
-Either decline her offer (ends the quest) or accept.
-Talk to a passive Harwyleth and either refuse to leave (she attacks you, your Journal updates upon her death and speaking to Jolna about her when Harwyleth's dead will end the quest and give you a Nordic Silver Seax, let's call this "ending 2"), or leave her be - doing so will cause her to give you a message to give to Jolna. The options are:

1. Lie to Jolna and claim you killed Harwyleth, Jolna gives you a Nordic Seax & less disposition & Bear Clan faction rep as a reward than if you would've actually killed her, thus completing ending 3.
2. Relay Harwyleth's message, if Jolna's Disposition is 60 or above, she'll tell you she has a lot to think about, you must now go back to Harwyleth to claim your final reward (Greenery Ring) and thus get ending 4, if it's under 60 then she gets offended and want you out of her sight (ending 5... sort of).
3. Say you haven't yet, does nothing but gives you an out if you wish to do other things first.

-Upon returning to Harwyleth, she'll tell you that she's staying until they change their minds, but she'll remain friendly. If you ever get Jolna at 60 or over then you can talk about Harwyleth to her again and go through ending 4.

-If at any point Jolna dies (for whatever reason), you get ending 6, which is basically just failure.

Merging Notes:

-None that I can think of.

This is Ready for Review
Attachments
Clean Blocked From Worship v1.4.ESP
(23.32 KiB) Downloaded 149 times

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

Taking this for fixes
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

- Corrected spelling and grammar mistakes
- Made a few select stylistic edits to prevent repetition of the same word
- Changed Jolna's initial directions to the shrine (Check this. Not sure if it is an improvement. The original was pretty clunky, but my one is not much better or more specific) Maybe the additional direction could just be taken out
- Added a Journal update to prevent a non-sequitur journal entry on refusing the quest from Jolna
- added topic "wicked Bear Clan" so you have more info on whether to side with the spriggan or not
- Stopped Harwyleth from attempting to wander over the edge of the shrine constantly by setting wander radius to 0
- Improved collision around the base of the shrine
- Added dialogue and script in case you kill Harwyleth in your travels before accepting the quest from Jolna
- Modified Harwyleth reward greeting to mention Jolna in case you revisit her after a long time
- Added postquest dialog for Jolna about Harwyleth
- (Attempted to) Added scripting and a journal entry for the case where you kill Harwyleth after choosing to leave her alone midquest

Issues: Script is broken. Hopefully you can see what I was trying to do and fix it. Don't playtest until fixed.

Overall this was a well executed quest! Hopefully my additions don't seem too overreaching. I just added things to cover additional situations and tidied up the dialogue a little. Let me know if you don't like any of the changes I made violet.

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Good stuff, Violet! I think this claim is ready for merging if there are no other suggestions.

CONTENT
- Small edit to a journal entry to add a missing hyphen in Jolna's name.
- Fixed some capitalizations of "Spriggan" here and there. It's inconsistent in Bloodmoon, but I went with a capitalized "S" since it's more common.
- Fixed some ModPCFacRep errors in various dialogue results. "Error Check Results" no longer reports any issues.

DIALOGUE
- Added a "END KG3" placeholder to Greeting 5 (helps with merging into Sky_Main).
- Added a "END KG3" placeholder to "latest rumors" (helps with merging into Sky_Main).
- Added a "END KG3" placeholder to "Karthgad" (helps with merging into Sky_Main).
- Moved KG3 entries in "latest rumors" from the very top of the list to the appropriate location.
- Moved up the entry with the Harwyleth death check so that it has a chance to fire.
- Added new "sacred shrine of Kyne" entries for Jolna and Bear Clan faction members to reduce some repetition.

SCRIPTS
- Renamed the "T_ScNPC_TheReach_Jolna" script to "Sky_qRe_KG3_sc_Jolna".
- Made some changes to both scripts to 1) remove some unnecessary variable declarations and 2) ensure that the OnDeath journal entries don't fire before the quest is started or after the quest is finished.
Attachments
Clean Blocked From Worship v1.5.esp
Requires T_D v6 and latest Sky_Main
(27.71 KiB) Downloaded 148 times

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

Moved to Completed.

Return to “Completed”