The Reach - Direnni Ruin A (Sky_iRe_DH07)

View and discuss completed claims
berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Thanks! Further altering this claim is fine with me, but I'd rather we handled it during reviewing/NPCing (I need to focus on univeristy stuff in following days myself). I know I got out of the line here, adding mobs and proper name, but I figured that way we'd be able to have this merged with main file right away if there's no time for further work on it, since we're a little short of time before the release.

It's great you're getting classic RPG here. As I've been saying, that's how one should generaly feel in dungeons from widely understood Illiac Bay's culture zone, in my opinion. :)

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

This is pretty cool. Is it connected to the underground escape tunnel? Also what is to be done about the remaining 2 claims I am sitting on; originally the plan was for them to all link underground, is that still the case? No worries if not. :)
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

I put there a trapdoor (in the ogrim room) that could supposedly lead to the basement, joining all 3 buildings together and with the tunnel. I think it'd be the best if we sticked to original plan, or maybe you could join buildings C & B together underground, and make a corridor leading north that would end with a door leading to building's A underground? I could adjust this claim to have a gate rather than a trapdoor in it's dungeon.

At any rate, an entrance to the tunnel should be on the other side of the ruins; it's close to building B: http://i.imgur.com/JeTvQZF.png Edit: Actually, here's another idea how we can handle it: there can be a deep underground passage going directly from building A's basement to the tunnel, passing between buildings B & C; such tunnel would allow Direnni lord(s) to escape, leaving their staff behind in two other buildings. I can arrange that too, if we'd like to. Actually I slightly lean towards favouring this solution, now that it came to my mind. :P

I think it would be cool to have buildings B & C joined together at least with each other too, though.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Here's a quick mash-up of how it could look like. However, while testing this in-game I was getting some lags already, probably due to many references in this cell (lights especially), so it's not the most sensible solution probably.
Attachments
Clean sky_int_direnniruin_02A_tunnel.ESP
(110.84 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Bump. We've got to make some calls here, as it's a top priority dungeon.

I've got some free time at the moment, if that's fine with everybody I could take care of a remaining basement level (joining the buildings together and with the tunnel), and then blend it with the escape tunnel, the lich building and two Luxray's, making sure they're consisten when it comes to light values, detailing etc (and adding small Reachman camp to building B or C? Unless we're not doing it eventually..?) At any rate, we need to settle our minds on Mirilstaren.

Luxray, do you still work on buildings B and C?

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

When luxray is done with the two interiors it would be great if you joined them with one another and the tunnel, yes.

I wonder, if the presence of the lich in the main tower doesn't pose a problem for the planned reachmen inhabitants in the two other buildings. Alternatively the two other towers could be completely forsaken with just rats and spikeworm or skeletons and being mainly avoided by the natives. What do you think?

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I think it should be one completely abandoned, one semi-abandoned with a small camp of 3-4 reachmen and then the lich one.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Cool, I'll start fiddling around the basement idea then.

I'm with roerich on the subject of inhabitants. The idea was the lich locked himself from the world - there should be a locked gate blocking entrance to his building from the basement level as well - so he wouldn't be a problem for other residents, other than emanating gloomy atmosphere, like a disturbance in the Force :P . "Honest" natives (honest by Reachman standards at least) could still be wary of the ruins too, the small group encountered here can be some desperate outcasts.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Uploading current progress in case of data loss/alien abduction/Dragon Break etc
  • this file contains both pallatium (_The Reach, Mirilstaren: Pallatium) and tunnel cells (_MIRILSTAREN_tunnel) as well as begun work on new basement cell (_MIRILSTAREN_basement). _MIRILISTARENprvw shows the exterior of this ruins, with two already known basement entrances marked with X-s. Tunnel, pallatium and the basement are joined together.
  • I reserved lots of space for entances to Luxray's buildings once they're finished; Direnni terraces mark their locations. Basically the basement cell in it's current shape contains of entrance to the escape tunnel, long passage, middle chamber and entrance to the pallatium.
  • did some slight tweaks to the tunnel and pallatium. Most importantly I removed lots of cluttering, makeshifting, lights and enemies from the latter.
  • I tried to create one key (Sky_iRe_DH_Miril_key) opening all the doors in these ruins, but it appears that for some reason our Direnni gates ignore set key values :| (as well as trap values, what I discovered working on pallatium back then, but that's not that much of an issue) That's rather crappy if you ask me :x Though now that I look on it's script, I think that's a scripting oversight, not the engine limitation:
Begin T_ScObj_DirenniDoor

short state
;0 = closed
;1 = opened

if ( state == 1 )
return
endif

if ( onActivate == 1 )
if ( getLocked > 0 ) ; that part ignores the fact the player may be carrying the key, I believe. How to fix it, though?
playSound "LockedDoor"
else
set state to 1
playSound "Door Metal Open"
endif
endif

if ( state == 0 )
if ( getLocked > 0 )
playGroup, Idle5, 1
else
playGroup, Idle2, 1
endif
else
playGroup, idle3, 0
endif

End T_ScObj_DirenniDoor
Attachments
Clean Sky_mirilstaren_merge.ESP
(230.84 KiB) Downloaded 177 times

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

You need to create a custom version of the script, if you want to utilize a key for a door. Can a script automatically check for a key that is set on its door anyway?

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Not with vanilla script engine, as far as I know. Creating unique door versions for any area requiring a key (Mirilstaren, Elfstone jail cells...) is a great idea though, and should be simple enough to do with GetItemCount, OnActivate and Unlock. It will be much cleaner than that old "5 references for each single gate" madness anyway. :) I'll do it for Mirilstaren.

Moritius
PT Modder

Post by Moritius »

Try this, Berry. Not sure if it will work as intended since I didn't test it :P.

Code: Select all

begin scriptname

short state
;0 = closed
;1 = opened

if ( state == 1 )
	StopScript scriptname
endif

if ( OnActivate == 1 )
	if ( player->GetItemCount "key_id" == 0 )
		PlaySound "LockedDoor"
	else
		set state to 1
		PlaySound "Door Metal Open"
		Activate
	endif
endif

if ( state == 0 )
	if ( GetLocked == 1 )
		PlayGroup, Idle5, 1
	else
		PlayGroup, Idle2, 1
	endif
else
	PlayGroup, idle3, 0
endif

end
Edit///Also, original script miss Activate command in OnActivete block (to be exact, else block).
<ThomasRuz> A cleansing potion, with a nasty side-effect
<rotouns> Drain Spear 50 / 3600s
<ThomasRuz> We shall call it... the potion of impotency!

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Cool, thanks! I had something exactly like this in mind :) I'll give this a try.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Alright, as it turned out it wasn't exactly that straightforward as we assumed, but after some alterations I got it working. Here's the script; should be ok to be used as a template for any other Direnni doors: begin Sky_iRe_DH_Miril_SC

;script for Direnni gates requiring a key
;remember NOT to fill in the Key value in the doors reference
;the key should be defined in the script solely, see lines 16 & 21 below

short state
;0 = closed
;1 = opened

if ( state == 1 )
;StopScript Sky_iRe_DH_Miril_SC
return
endif

if ( OnActivate == 1 )
if ( player->GetItemCount "Sky_iRe_DH_Miril_key" == 0 )
PlaySound "LockedDoor"
else
set state to 1
unlock
Messagebox "Mirilstaren Key used to open lock"
;Activate
endif
endif

if ( state == 0 )
if ( GetLocked == 1 )
PlayGroup, Idle5, 1
else
PlayGroup, Idle2, 1
endif
else
PlayGroup, idle3, 0
endif

end Sky_iRe_DH_Miril_SC ----

Unless someone's got any requests, I'm dropping it for the time being, as there's nothing else left to do here until buildings B & C are finished and ready to join with the basement.

Since last update, I added small janitorial chamber on the basement level and immensely rearranged pallatium's dome, removing half the clutter and making a neat staircase. It's also possible to gather complete Direnni set
thoroughly exploring these 4 cells now.

I'd appreciate it if you had some time to give this an in-game run. COCing to "_MIRILSTAREN_tunnel" is the best way to start the route, probably; the key lies on the table just up there in the basement (though it's a temporary location, just for testing means - I'd like the keys to be eiter more hidden, like the one in the tunnels part, or guarded - like these two to be found in the pallatium). Enjoy :) Hope you'll like it! I tried my hardest not to overtinker these cells :P
Attachments
Clean Sky_mirilstaren_merge.ESP
(244.62 KiB) Downloaded 175 times

MinerMan60101
PT Modder

Post by MinerMan60101 »

I can definitely play test this!
I will keep you posted on anything i notice.
Interior and Exterior Developer | PT, TR
How games deal with alt-tabbing
OpenMW: That's cool i can wait for hours with literally zero problems.
Bethesda games: WF(BFHC@(HFB(8g6\ [CRASH]
MGE XE: Ha I guess you don't like distant land then [CRASH]

MinerMan60101
PT Modder

Post by MinerMan60101 »

The potions use the vanilla model, and there is a version made specifically for S:HotN, but i don't know for sure if you're required to use this or not.
You should probably hide some water breathing potions in the first cell.
None of the chests are locked, only trapped. You may want to lock at least some of them.
The doors can't be closed once opened, and the ones that aren't locked start open. (I don't know whether this can be fixed though).
In the interior with water, you used an in_lava_blacksquare. This just looks odd, and you may want to fix it but it should probably stay this way.
Finally, i am pretty sure that you should make the interiors start with a 'Sky_' prefix instead of just a '_'.

All in all, a fun interior! I wish that I was this good at designing them.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Thanks for giving this a run and for a feedback, MinerMan! I'm glad you liked it. :) I assume the key worked as intended?
MinerMan60101 wrote:The potions use the vanilla model, and there is a version made specifically for S:HotN, but i don't know for sure if you're required to use this or not.
Well, the idea behind those is they are ancient Direnni potions, laying in the ruins for millenias already. Even putting aesthetics aside, it's unlikely Nord leather potion bags would endure that long, especially in the water. It would be ideal to have unique Direnni potions using these cool Direnni flasks' meshes, but I'm not sure if it's worth the fuss...? But on the other hand, some ancient overpowered potions could make an interesting and unique loot for Direnni dungeons.
MinerMan60101 wrote:You should probably hide some water breathing potions in the first cell.
Didn't want to make it too easy for players. :P In these ruins the enviroment (and locked gates and cursed gemstones) are the real challenge, as there are hardly any enemies there (not counting the pallatium, of course). The potions are there only as a way out for players without any levitation magic; water breathing potion would be a hint there's something more in the water as well, and I wanted the sunken chamber there to be some kind of a hidden secret, easy to pass by, but rewarding if found - that's why it's so well covered with rocks, with only a breadcrums trail of Welkynds leading to it.
MinerMan60101 wrote:None of the chests are locked, only trapped. You may want to lock at least some of them.
Once again - extra challenge. Personally when I play Morrowind I never bother with untrapping containters if they are not locked as well - and that can be a nasty surprise for any players like me out there, as lots of these traps are rather unpleasant. But you're probably right about locking at least some of them - after all, that's vanilla MW convention.
MinerMan60101 wrote:The doors can't be closed once opened, and the ones that aren't locked start open. (I don't know whether this can be fixed though).
"It's not a bug, it's a feature" :P The reasoning behind PC not being able to close the doors is so he wouldn't be able to trap enemies behind them (creatures and NPCs aren't able to open these doors, because they work through scripts and animations) and get an unfair advantage in the battle. Besides, we've been discussing these gates to the death and going through scripting/modelling hell to get them working in an optimal way (with earlier efforts being really clumsy), so I think nowadays we are happy everything simply works as expected. It probably could be implemented (with GetCollidingActor function, I bet?) but that would require lots of extra scripting.
edit: Open gates are supposed to be like that - check their IDs in the console/Construction Set :) It's possible to have a closed unlocked gate as well
MinerMan60101 wrote:In the interior with water, you used an in_lava_blacksquare. This just looks odd, and you may want to fix it but it should probably stay this way.
You mean the one covering the floor outside the wall, by an entrance to the pallatium? We do it so the parts of bigger meshes outside the "playable space" won't show up on player's minimap. In this case it's however redundant, you're right - I should simply replace the floor piece in question with a smaller one.
MinerMan60101 wrote:Finally, i am pretty sure that you should make the interiors start with a 'Sky_' prefix instead of just a '_'.
You're right, that's the naming pattern at SHotN. The working names I gave these cells are extremally temporary though, as pretty much the moment buildings B & C are completed and joined with the basement, we'll start working towards merging this into the main file, with proper name (The Reach, Mirilstaren: ...etc) and linked with the worldspace. That's why the cellnames are so hideous - they will receive real names soon anyway, and it's easier to work on them when they are atop the celllist.

Cheers!

MinerMan60101
PT Modder

Post by MinerMan60101 »

berry wrote: Once again - extra challenge. Personally when I play Morrowind I never bother with untrapping containters if they are not locked as well - and that can be a nasty surprise for any players like me out there, as lots of these traps are rather unpleasant. But you're probably right about locking at least some of them - after all, that's vanilla MW convention.
I will admit, this always gets me when I'm in a dungeon. (especially doors)

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

Berry, great work on the basement and settling a joining pattern. I'll post the finished interiors B and C today if you can add them to this. I've tried to match your layout entrances in the basementfor the underground part of my towers.
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Great :) I'll join these together when you're finished.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Finished, this is ready for reviewing/merging. Changelog, in random order (probably forgetting something though; in general I was trying to get things feel consistent):
  • merged Luxray's cells in
  • moved some armor parts to Luxray's cells, so one can still get complete set from this ruins, but not without visiting all areas (and getting past the lich!)
  • adjusted light values in my cells, so they're similar to Luxray's
  • removed some more clutter from the basement, added empty light holders similar to those in buildings B & C, stole the stair-ish design for floor trap doors
  • per Minerman's suggestions, added some closed-non-locked gates, locked some chests, removed unneeded blacksquare
  • added blue lightbuls to all trap doors, subtly highlighting Direnni emblema
  • had to rewrite the script for unique Direnni doors, as I realised it doesn't cover the state where the player opens the gate without a key, with a lockpick/magic/Unlock. Now everything should be fine; here's the new script:

Code: Select all

begin Sky_iRe_DH_Miril_SC

;script for Direnni gates requiring a key
;remember NOT to fill in the Key value in the doors reference
;the key should be defined in the script solely - on lines 17, 24 and in messagebox of line 28

short state
;0 = closed
;1 = opened

if ( state == 1 )
	;StopScript Sky_iRe_DH_Miril_SC
	return
endif

if ( OnActivate == 1 )
	if ( player->GetItemCount "Sky_iRe_DH_Miril_key" == 0 ) 			;PC doesn't have a key
		If ( GetLocked == 1 )														;no pasarán
			PlaySound "LockedDoor"
		elseif ( GetLocked == 0 )													;be my guest
			set state to 1 
			Playsound "Door Metal Open"
		endif
	elseif ( player->GetItemCount "Sky_iRe_DH_Miril_key" == 1 ) 			;PC does have a key, so we want to unlock the door
	;	if ( GetLocked == 1 )		
			set state to 1
			unlock
			Messagebox "Mirilstaren Key used to open lock"
	;	endif
	endif
endif

if ( state == 0 )
   if ( GetLocked == 1 )
      PlayGroup, Idle5, 1
   else
      PlayGroup, Idle2, 1
   endif
else
   PlayGroup, idle3, 0
endif

end Sky_iRe_DH_Miril_SC
  • the biggest change to Luxray's cells was pimping atronach's chamber in building C (I also made him Storm Atronach, for some slight extra challenge); I also added missing Console in C's dome, but I'm not sure it can stay that way, actually? (it hangs from the ceiling, imho looks alien in a cool way, but prob. worsas should speak on that matter). In general I hope I wasn't too intrusive, Luxray, and sorry in case I was - feel free to revert any changes I made to your stuff
---

Sorry for my lack of activity, I'll try to provide that promised redux version of my -109, 6 claim within this week, and then I'll get to that Gold Coast claim.

I'm extra hyped about the progress in recent days. :)

edit: my three new cells here (ie. not the tunnel) don't have NorthMarkers value set, so sorry for that as well
Attachments
Sky_mirilstaren_complete.ESP
(374.23 KiB) Downloaded 151 times

MinerMan60101
PT Modder

Post by MinerMan60101 »

I will be sure to playtest this again once i have the time! (I don't exactly know when, as i already have things planned for all the days that i have more free time)

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Nice one berry! Hastily making progress here.

Tower C was made without a magus console on purpose, and it should be removed. Ideally, only one the three towers should have one.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

It's an absolutely amazing dungeon. I'm a wee bit uncertain about the skeleton stuff in the pallatium of the main building (skull piles & skeletons in the bookshelves) To me those things just add hype rather than any real characterization of the Direnni. Another thing is that I'd personally prefer to see less Welkynd stones used. They should be much rarer than in Ayleid ruins. They are currently fairly numerous and also placed at everyday places like dinner tables. They should be saved for locations like wizard tables and even not be used as lightsources. The ceiling lamps and lanterns (which used to be lit by candles) are for that kind of stuff.

MinerMan60101
PT Modder

Post by MinerMan60101 »

Playtested it. Here are the beta comments:
3/29/2017 (15:50) Sky_Mirilstaren_complete.ESP 3/29/2017 (15:39) T_He_DngDirenni_I_CeilingBm_02 sky_int_direnniruin_02C -208 320 704 "odd strip, should be deleted"
3/29/2017 (15:51) Sky_Mirilstaren_complete.ESP 3/29/2017 (15:39) T_He_DngDirenni_I_StairsUp_01 sky_int_direnniruin_02C 320 -448 384 "stair weirdness can be fixed with a new mesh in Tamriel_Data v03"
3/29/2017 (15:52) Sky_Mirilstaren_complete.ESP 3/29/2017 (15:39) T_He_DngDirenni_I_StairsUp_01 sky_int_direnniruin_02C -960 304 760 "stair weirdness can be fixed with a new mesh in Tamriel_Data v03"
3/29/2017 (15:54) Sky_Mirilstaren_complete.ESP 3/29/2017 (15:39) T_He_DngDirenni_X_Planter_01 sky_int_direnniruin_02C 336 80 1160 "bleeds"
3/29/2017 (15:54) Sky_Mirilstaren_complete.ESP 3/29/2017 (15:39) T_He_DngDirenni_X_Planter_01 sky_int_direnniruin_02C 336 -168 1160 "this and others nearbly also bleed"
3/29/2017 (16:02) Sky_Mirilstaren_complete.ESP 3/29/2017 (15:39) T_He_DngDirenni_I_StairsUp_01 sky_int_direnniruin_02B 320 -448 384 "stair weirdness can be fixed with a new mesh in Tamriel_Data v03"
3/29/2017 (16:03) Sky_Mirilstaren_complete.ESP 3/29/2017 (15:39) T_He_DngDirenni_I_StairsUp_01 sky_int_direnniruin_02B -960 304 760 "stair weirdness can be fixed with a new mesh in Tamriel_Data v03"
3/29/2017 (16:04) Sky_Mirilstaren_complete.ESP 3/29/2017 (15:39) T_He_DngDirenni_I_StairsUp_01 sky_int_direnniruin_02B -960 176 1136 "stair weirdness can be fixed with a new mesh in Tamriel_Data v03"
3/29/2017 (16:05) Sky_Mirilstaren_complete.ESP 3/29/2017 (15:39) T_He_DngDirenni_MagusCons_01 sky_int_direnniruin_02B_dome 4020 4236 15128 "If this console is going to go, this room should be made more interesting."
3/29/2017 (16:07) Sky_Mirilstaren_complete.ESP 3/29/2017 (15:39) T_He_DngDirenni_I_Lamp_02 _MIRILSTAREN_basement 1872 6512 15440 "this lighting looks really weird"

Return to “Completed”