Aldkarth Lowlands - House 2[berry]

View and discuss completed claims
worsas
Project Administrator

Aldkarth Lowlands - House 2[berry]

Post by worsas »

A house at the karthwasten docks (-106,7). Exact purpose still unknown.
Found in: viewtopic.php?f=125&t=500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/qdyINjG.jpg[/hsimg]

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Claiming.

House of common people living by the river and earning their living thanks to the river. Tough people with their feet on the ground, they are far from the level of poverty of poor district in Karthwasten. They have some hard-earned wealth compared to Karthwasten paupers, but no luxuries are to be seen here.

As this house is rather big, two or more people reside here.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Sounds good. Have at it.

griff
PT Modder

Post by griff »

If you don't mind, I would say that the ferry master would live here with his family and claims 1-2 would be fisherman/dockworkers.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

griff wrote:If you don't mind, I would say that the ferry master would live here with his family and claims 1-2 would be fisherman/dockworkers.
Good idea, it works for me. Also, your post actually made me return to this and get it finished, thank you. :P

Still, I'm experiencing some problems with Sky_furn_fish models. In CS, they are either seen or invisible, like this:

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/MHj9qSq.png[/hsimg] [hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/XY5QMgw.png[/hsimg]

In game there are no signs of them. I'm using pikeperch fish as a plague here, but there used to be some northern pikes hanging from these hooks in the foreground too; I had the same issue with them. It would be great if someone have any clue about it.

Regarding the backstory of this house's residents, I imagined it's a Nord family of former Dawnstar whaler, that moved south sometimes after the war. Whaler's spouse died and he/she brings up their only child - now in one's young adults - alone. The child is a bright one and reads every book he/she comes across, so the whaler works hard as a shipmaster and saves his/her funds to provide the child a proper education and send it to the Markarth College - I believe despite College's ongoing decline, it's still a renowned institution, especially among those hailing from the north, as this family. Shipmaster's ambition of providing a brighter future to his/her child might eventually open him/her up to the corruption, if he/she can't earn enough money in just ways.
Attachments
sky_house_aldkarth 1.ESP
(14.23 KiB) Downloaded 141 times

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Sounds good! I have the same problem with the fishies.

I think in order to be accepted into the College of the Voice, you'd at least need to come from a minor noble house or a prominent clan. Though it's mostly Colovian pupils. Generally, Nords view the college as a pseudo-Nordic institution, for southerners trying to boost their Nordic heritage in order to be more respected back in Colovia. But not really having that much to do with actual Nord culture. It's still a martial education, even if it's more about prestige than actual Thu'um combat training nowadays.

What about instead he or she is saving money for the the child to go in training as a merchant? Or buy a farm. I imagine they moved here after the conquest of Karthwasten, because King Vongyrd invited Nords from all over Skyrim to come and settle the newly annexed lands.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

I see. I imagined it is the College could tend to accept pretty much any Nord able to pay a fee nowadays while still maintaining a facade of elitism.

Good point about the Cyrod origin of the College (and a martial character of the education there), I keep forgetting about that. :P I'm not insisting it's got to be the CoV precisely, your suggestions sound great too,
roerich wrote:I imagine they moved here after the conquest of Karthwasten, because King Vongyrd invited Nords from all over Skyrim to come and settle the newly annexed lands.
Yes, the way I see it they are just some common folks that moved here after founding of Karthwasten County. Not former Jarla warriors this time, and generally not really interested in province politics.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Think of it like this - when the College was more prestigeful, you could find the sons of both major and minor noble families here. Now it's mostly minor, as well as sons of wealthy merchants, guild masters etc. I don't know if we should incorporate a shift from noble to urban society somehow, I think the situtation in P:C is that the Elder Council and the Imperial Administration is getting the upper hand on the noble class.

If we go with merchant training (or another profession; smith, craftsman, bard, etc.) we could have a small misc quest where the player has to find a merchant that would take an apprentice. Or it could just be blank: the child would be in need of an apprenticeship, and the player would have to find out what the child is good at, and then a suitable teacher.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Agreed, a quest like this would make a cool flavour touch, I think. It might be a good idea to remove some books from this interior too, if the child isn't supposed to be receiving academical upbringing. I'll leave this to NPCer though.

Anyway, looking on exterior shell of this I realised I messed up windows' localization. Here's a corrected file.
Attachments
sky_house_aldkarth 1.ESP
(14.08 KiB) Downloaded 153 times

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

Review sky_house_aldkarth 1

lighting: yes
northmarker: yes
gridsnap: n/a
illegal to sleep: yes
clean: yes

- deleted Sky_WindowLight_128 (x2)
- Sky_Ingred_Meat_Pikeperch_01 not resting properly
- Sky_Misc_Wooden_Fork_02_02 not resting properly
- Sky_Misc_Wooden_Knife_02_02 not resting properly
- Sky_Sack_01_02_Ingred_04 bleeding into wall
- Sky_Sack_01_04_Ingred02 bleeding into wall
- gap under Sky_Ex_Nord_Woodstep_01, I tweaked it to suit
- replaced Sky_Barrel_02_Drugs
- Sky_bk_HistoryOfKarthwasten was floating
- removed Sky_Contain_Cupboard_02_01 as it was too high to reach, and was empty anyway
- replaced the com_basket with a sky_basket
- Sky_Furn_Hook_Iron_01 floating (x2)

Nice interior though a bit mixed with the many books and the silverware... If there is some reason for them to be her as per NPCs I left them for now, they will be easy to delete later if needed.
Good work
Review_sky_house_aldkarth 1.ESP
(13.87 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

The silverware needs to go. This is a poor interior and silverware is explicitly intended for wealthier people.

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

Version with the silverware stripped and some of the books removed.
Review_sky_house_aldkarth 1.ESP
(13.42 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

Return to “Completed”