Common Plants and Ingredients

Model, texture and sound development of P:C
Saint_Jiub
P:C Council Member

Post by Saint_Jiub »

It looks like spineinside has the grapes well in hand, what other crops should I focus on right now?

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Whatever you feel like, of course. I have an olive ingredient mesh somewhere, but no texture - black olives preferably, to match the trees. Figs, peppers and pomegranates would be nice, and nobody is working on them as far as I know.

How about the spices? In terms of meshes, these should be pretty simple - seeds and piles of powder, mostly - so we'd mainly need new textures. Otherwise, maybe look at the drugs, there's plenty of bottles and vials there that should be similar to the liquors and wine bottles you made before.

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

For now I can focus my work around vineyards, remeshing and retexturing some of my old models from the list :)

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Random question - how do oaks fit into our ecology? I'm trying to think of ways that the fig tree could be brought into our world (epecially since its silhouette IRL is fairly similar to our olive trees & the vanilla comberry bush), and one thing that I was playing with was oak leaves - would modeling our fig trees after something like this be worth exploring?

I figure something like a mix between a rock fig tree:

and an oak sapling as posted above, would be a good fit for the northern Highlands & Chorrol area, and Chorrol's Great Oak would then be a massive specimen of the same species.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

That looks interesting. I don't think we have to adhere to the real-life look of a fig tree, as long as the reimagined specimen fits the climate and aesthetic. Not sure about replacing Chorrol's oak tree with it, though: the fact that it's an oak tree is kinda iconic. It may have been planted by early nords as a memory of their homeland or something. Anyway, we do have oak trees in data, and they're even used in the GC already.

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Wow, the leaf textures on that are atrocious - it looks like whoever made it had a single leaf texture and just went hog wild clone stamping it. Can I fix that, and in the process maybe not make them oak trees anymore? Oaks are kind of an odd choice for the very Mediterranean climate of the Gold Coast anyhow, and I like your idea of making the Great Oak (man, it needs a cooler name than that) a Colo-Nordic heirloom. Something based on the mastic tree might be more fitting for the coast.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

You got a point there. The tree model itself isn't very good either.

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Found a great resource by Melchior Dahrk, so I'm playing around with replacing the oaks in Data with some that are more up to par with our other trees - in these screens, they're using placeholder textures from vurt but I can play around with some other options. Oh, and the footprint is almost identical to the ones already in data, so they should seamlessly replace the ones we already have - I deliberately sank them a little bit further into the ground than the default model so that we wouldn't have to deal with floaters.

Thoughts?

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

They are looking pretty.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Those look good, and they seem to match the existing trees well. How are they performance-wise?

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

That second tree is downright gorgeous. I wonder if these would be appropriate for southern Skyrim as well.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Performance-wise, there was no impact for me - but my performance isn't great in modded Morrowind anyhow, I only get about 10 FPS. Here's the files if somebody else wants to test it.

@Roerich - I'd think they'd need different textures for Skyrim just because how different the climate is between the Gold Coast and the north, but otherwise, definitely :)
Attachments
oak.7z
(896.13 KiB) Downloaded 243 times

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Oh shit, I completely neglected this. I don't suppose you still have those filed, Saint_Jiub? The trees in the archive you posted appear to be the older ones. If not, maybe you can ask Melchior Dahrk about them?

Return to “P:C Asset Development”