Amulets, Belts and Rings

Model, texture and sound development of P:C
worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

The highlight is indeed pretty weak, but that's because I have some doubts as to if to use the environment effect instead or no. There are reflection textures in the PC data, so I take it using these would be okay?
Both things are possible and are done around here. With an environmental effect you just need to take care that it's subtle and not excessively shiny in dark interiors.

On the stamp designs I can't help you much. For the colovian tomb urns I have used some celtic knot patterns. Maybe Oak sprig - patterns? Maybe a lionhead ornament taken from textures.org or somewhere, refashioned to show a tiger head instead? The outlines of a tower with battlements? Alternatively, abstract patterns like lines or dots could work.
Now that I think of it, there was another jewelry item type I wanted to ask about - the bracelets. They could be implemented as armor bracers, like the Slave Bracers in Morrowind are. I'm asking it mainly because they could use designs similar to those of the rings.
If you intend to make them similar blocky as the rings are, they should be make armor bracers. We already have the colovian hats, so it shouldn't be a stretch to look for these among the armor objects.

Edit: Jiub, can we have those or similar coins for the Colovian tombs, too?

Moritius
PT Modder

Post by Moritius »

I'm thinking about retexturing this model to fit P:C but atm I'm not sure what material to use. What about obsidian+ silver?
[hsimg=]https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mo ... 601128.png[/hsimg]
<ThomasRuz> A cleansing potion, with a nasty side-effect
<rotouns> Drain Spear 50 / 3600s
<ThomasRuz> We shall call it... the potion of impotency!

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

worsas wrote:On the stamp designs I can't help you much. For the colovian tomb urns I have used some celtic knot patterns. Maybe Oak sprig - patterns? Maybe a lionhead ornament taken from textures.org or somewhere, refashioned to show a tiger head instead? The outlines of a tower with battlements? Alternatively, abstract patterns like lines or dots could work.
Good suggestions, gotcha.
If you intend to make them similar blocky as the rings are, they should be make armor bracers. We already have the colovian hats, so it shouldn't be a stretch to look for these among the armor objects.
Yes, I was thinking of something big and heavy-looking: [hsimg=]https://d29h7ql7qnxkqx.cloudfront.net/p ... rmlets.jpg[/hsimg]
[hsimg=]https://cdn-img-1.wanelo.com/p/527/936/ ... 54-q80.jpg[/hsimg] Although it's more fitting for Nibenay. Could include big moths encased in amber too, with very high enchantment capacity - perhaps as a gameplay equivalent for Morrowind's Telvanni helmets?
Moritius wrote:I'm thinking about retexturing this model to fit P:C but atm I'm not sure what material to use. What about obsidian+ silver?
Looks like what I intended for the expensive tier studded design rings. Are those gems on the side a flat texture or do they have some volume?

Moritius
PT Modder

Post by Moritius »

They are flat (atm, maybe I will change them). That's why I'm thinking about using obsidian as gem.
It's one of assets for my mod I'm making, released as some small mod because I always thought it's strange we can't find any of Dwemer jewellery :).
<ThomasRuz> A cleansing potion, with a nasty side-effect
<rotouns> Drain Spear 50 / 3600s
<ThomasRuz> We shall call it... the potion of impotency!

Saint_Jiub
P:C Council Member

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Yeah, I didn't quite get time today but I'll get them packaged up and hopefully uploaded for you tomorrow :)

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

After some consideration I decided against adding effects to common rings - makes them grab player's attention and it's kinda bad when you find something shiny and it turns out to be just some useless 5 gold trinket.

[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 ... 283%29.png[/hsimg]
Are the steely colors fine or should I go with something warmer?

Yet another possible style of jewelry - archer/thumb rings: [hsimg=]http://www.ancientresource.com/images/r ... jr2167.jpg[/hsimg]
[hsimg=]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0074/ ... ge.jpg?899[/hsimg] This design could be appropriated for Nibenay, cut from wood or gemstones, or made from glass.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I love these both. Nice work, R-Zero. For the studded one, perhaps just another variant made of bronze instead of steel?

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

A lot of excellent work here. This goes some way in clearing up the gaps in our item database.

If possible, I'd also like to see some designs for belts and amulets.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Thanks!
Infragris wrote:If possible, I'd also like to see some designs for belts and amulets.
Well, making the coin amulets at least would be pretty easy. Other than that, there aren't many amulet ideas in this thread, so there must be a bit of research beforehand.
P.S. Oh wait, or did you mean exactly that?
worsas wrote:For the studded one, perhaps just another variant made of bronze instead of steel?
Will do. The design should be changed somewhat though, do avoid the "palette swap" look. I'm thinking either different chape of studs or an additional row.

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

I have an unfinished concept lying around somewhere, for Colovia it'd be cool to do various military service pins and medals that we could classify as "amulets" for gameplay purposes.

[hsimg=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Medals.jpg[/hsimg]
[hsimg=]http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1PE9FJXXX ... b-font.jpg[/hsimg]

Especially since it doesn't show up on the character, we don't necessarily need to be restricted to "thing that hangs around your neck".

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Saint_Jiub wrote:I have an unfinished concept lying around somewhere, for Colovia it'd be cool to do various military service pins and medals that we could classify as "amulets" for gameplay purposes.
Oh yeah, you mentioned it, sorry. These would fit nicely I think.
Romans used Phaleras in place of badges, so some designs could be taken from these. There are also some fitting motifs in vanilla imperial armor textures, like the lion head on the Templar Cuirass.
Especially since it doesn't show up on the character, we don't necessarily need to be restricted to "thing that hangs around your neck".
This actually opens up a lot of possibilities - if we consider repurposing the Amulet slot into an "Accessory" one we can potentially use a myriad of things for it, from usual amulets to earrings, brooches, etc...
I think generic amulets should be the majority thought, to avoid to big a contrast with already established framework.
КГБ
pls no

P.S. Made a warm-colored variation of the studded ring, added studs to the signet ring to increase uniformity.
[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 ... 20ring.png[/hsimg]

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Hey, here's the download link for the ancient coins: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kill3ppefb25a ... s.zip?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Sorry I'm late on it!

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Saint_Jiub wrote:Hey, here's the download link for the ancient coins: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kill3ppefb25a ... s.zip?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Sorry I'm late on it!
Grabbed, thanks. These would probably be better put on a chain instead of the usual amulet string.

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Working on some belt concepts too, btw :)

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Colovian belts:
[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/LYlr5On.png[/hsimg]

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Saint_Jiub wrote:Colovian belts:
These are some very nice concepts! Love how they look almost military, or at least very utilitarian in shape.
The only problem I have with them is that all these represent the same material type (leather). There should be at least a bit more variety I think, with some belts made of wool or something.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

R-Zero, would you mind, already uploading the three colovian rings above, so I can start adding them? I'm currently preparing PT_Data.bsa and pre-adding objects for later addition to the esm.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

worsas wrote:R-Zero, would you mind, already uploading the three colovian rings above, so I can start adding them? I'm currently preparing PT_Data.bsa and pre-adding objects for later addition to the esm.
Ack, I wanted to mess with them a bit more :D But sure, done.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Thankyou very much. :D

Remiros
PT Modder

Post by Remiros »

Early WIP of a spider silk belt: Image Not sure if this is something that can be used for the project, but if it is I would gladly continue working on it. The textures are handpainted and only slightly larger than the vanilla textures

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Doesn't look bad for a WIP, but it is a little generic and not really indicative of Colovian culture (look at Saint_Jiub's concept art earlier in this thread for examples). The vanilla game already contains several generic belts, so any additions should be distinct and serve to enhance the feeling of a unique culture.

In the case of small items like this, it is generally okay to go for a bigger texture size. Unlike TR, we do not insist on parity with the vanilla textures.

Remiros
PT Modder

Post by Remiros »

Infragris wrote:Doesn't look bad for a WIP, but it is a little generic and not really indicative of Colovian culture (look at Saint_Jiub's concept art earlier in this thread for examples). The vanilla game already contains several generic belts, so any additions should be distinct and serve to enhance the feeling of a unique culture.

In the case of small items like this, it is generally okay to go for a bigger texture size. Unlike TR, we do not insist on parity with the vanilla textures.
Alright, this one is close to what I imagined the final version to look like. I was going for a military, but slightly ornate look. It's loosely based on multiple of Saint_Jiub's concepts.

Here's what I have: Image

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

That large metal rectangle on this belt makes it pretty colovian, in my opinion. Your new variant, however, looks like a piece of garment for legion members. The dragon insignia doesn't show up on everyday garment.

As a little nitpicking. The dragon motif is missing the diamond atop of it.

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

I like the model though I agree the dragons can probably be taken off :)

What is that pebbled material on the front of the belt? Your first post says spider silk but this doesn't read as silk, for me. The rest of the design is very Colovian too, so silk might not be the best fit thematically.

How would it look if you made it wool or something like that?

Remiros
PT Modder

Post by Remiros »

worsas wrote:That large metal rectangle on this belt makes it pretty colovian, in my opinion. Your new variant, however, looks like a piece of garment for legion members. The dragon insignia doesn't show up on everyday garment.

As a little nitpicking. The dragon motif is missing the diamond atop of it.
I was actually going for a high ranking legion or guard look. The diamond was left out intentionally. More than a few depictions show the dragon without the diamond, even the gold coin, and it didn't look good with it. Here's what I have as the final version: Image If you are interested in somehow using this, here's the archive. It also contains the varla stone I made: Dropbox
Saint_Jiub wrote:I like the model though I agree the dragons can probably be taken off :)

What is that pebbled material on the front of the belt? Your first post says spider silk but this doesn't read as silk, for me. The rest of the design is very Colovian too, so silk might not be the best fit thematically.

How would it look if you made it wool or something like that?
Thanks. Yes, spider silk was actually the look I was going for before I made the texture, but the final version is supposed to show some sort of dyed leather.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

The diamond is only left out in the post-Septim period, to signify the end of the dynasties blessed by the Chim-El Adabal. It should still appear in our time period.

Remiros
PT Modder

Post by Remiros »

Infragris wrote:The diamond is only left out in the post-Septim period, to signify the end of the dynasties blessed by the Chim-El Adabal. It should still appear in our time period.
You are right. Sorry, silly me didn't do his research. I decided to scrap the dragon entirely, though. As already stated, it looks a bit too legion-oriented. I tweaked the entire thing a bit more. This is absoluty the final result: Image And heres the download: Dropbox

Remiros
PT Modder

Post by Remiros »

I made a ring inspired by the weatherward circlet in Oblivion. Maybe this can be a higher class Nibenese ring.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

The close-up details are very nice, but ingame you will not make much out of it, I'm afraid. Maybe it would help, if you filled one of the spaces between the line pattern with a different metal color? And maybe give the lines a different color aswell? You could go by brass/copper/silver or something like that. These are just my thoughts on it.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

This topic has produced a lot of excellent rings, but we could still do with more belts and especially amulets.

Return to “P:C Asset Development”