Infragris' Workshop

Model, texture and sound development of P:C
TerrifyingDaedricFoe
PT Modder

Post by TerrifyingDaedricFoe »

That does look nice, but seeing as the Akatosh statue is designed to go with the Imperial fort set how do the retextured statues go with the Stirk/Anvil sets?

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I'm not a fan of the recolored statue, to be honest. The darkish-purple gives it a shady feeling, almost daedra statue-like. Can't we disregard that ebonheart statue and be happy with what we've had?

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

About the wayshrine textures: I was planning to expand these to cover smaller wayshrines (the obelisk stuff from before), altars (to replace the old Imperial altar which uses Legion textures) and possibly also the Crypt exteriors (though these meshes need a serious update as well). As soon as I have time, I'll try to pack up my WIPs along with the statue base so you have an idea of where the textures would be used.

Also, if you have the time and inclination, could you look at the textures for the graveyard fence and the crypt entrances? Those are in rough shape, I think. It would be interesting if we could use the wayshrine texture set as a generic religious/funeral thing. The headstone textures could also be updated to lose the readable text, which is pretty bland and not very culture-appropriate (sorry if I'm asking too much).

Saint_Jiub
P:C Council Member

Post by Saint_Jiub »

I started this little project a while ago- one of many I never finished lol.
Overhauling the gravestones that are currently in PC:Data, the current ones don't have much depth or realism to them and don't feel too connected to Imperial culture for the most part. I've drawn some reliefs in the Chapel style which I used on the windows and tried to make it worn and faded enough that it won't be super conspicuous when they repeat- other gravestones will have Arkay's ring or Mara's knot (per I believe an earlier writing by Infragris that mentions Colovian-style interment in the earth as having ties to Mara) and moth imagery.
http://i.imgur.com/WhTQscC.png

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Here is the flattened statue base + several WIP pieces for the altars. Don't pay them too much attention, just included so you can see what other uses these textures may have.

About the gravestones: they look a lot better, but I believe they should be even simpler. The names and dates should be removed entirely: it's immersion-breaking to see the same headstone for the same guy appearing in different places. Of the top of my head, I can't remember a single instance of readable text on a texture in the vanilla game. If we need a stone to have a name, we can set it up as an activator and give it a title. Even the engravings might be a bit too much: simple motifs like the knot, the circle, and the diamond might be sufficient. If you want to keep the figures, I would suggest fading them out more, weathered, to make it less obvious that the figure repeats over different stones.

I have to agree with worsas that the darkened statue texture might give the wrong impression. On the other hand, I do think these textures should be updated to be more in line with the rest of the province. It'll be interesting to see in which direction you go with these.
Attachments
Shrine_stuff.7z
(17.77 KiB) Downloaded 241 times

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

I've found the time to finish off the WIP shrine models. Here's a shot of the Temple of Kynareth in Stirk using a new altar to replace the Legion-textured one: http://i.imgur.com/d3LIJn1.jpg And another one showing all shrine models. http://i.imgur.com/peVisBj.jpg The concept behind these is simple: the rectangular and square altars function just the same as Morrowind Imperial Cult altars, and provide a blessing from all the Divines if activated. If needed, one of these altars can also be used as a house shrine for a specific Divine, saint, or god in interiors or other cramped places where a large shrine does not fit. Individual Divines are only honored separately in their High Temples or in the large, circular wayshrines.

The tall shrines can be in exteriors, along the roads, markets, or in places where people of a certain trade or profession gather. They are dedicated to all kinds of saints and heroes, and give various, weaker blessings. Both rectangular shrines are generic. The rightmost, rough-looking shrine is a Colovian Founder shrine, dedicated to one of the Colovian identity saints (and used in Saintly Circles) and made from stone brought down from the slopes of the Colovian Highlands. In the same vein, I'm hoping to make a specific Niben-Saint shrine and unique altars for some of the most important deities, like Alessia, Morihaus, Emperor Zero, etc.

I see two ways in which the saint-shrines can be implemented:
  • Make a shrine for each saint to be represented: Saint Agdistra Shrine, Saint Losha Shrine, Saint Periv Shrine, ...
  • Make semi-generic shrines for groups of saints: Wandering Saints Shrine, Warrior Saints Shrine, Sailor Saints Shrine, Speaking Saints Shrine, ...
First option gives a lot of granularity and depth to the gameworld, but would mean a lot of different objects (though no more trouble than having a lot of different tavern signs). Exterior and interior modders would also have to keep in mind which saints are appropriate where. Second option is more generic, but further removed from the way the Dunmer shrines worked, and easier to implement: you put a shrine to the Market-Saints next to the market, for example. Unique shrines to specific saints could still be placed where appropriate, of course.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Really nice! I think the second option would be better here, seeing how IC altars worked in Morrowind.

Spoiler
Is Temple of Kynareth a finished location? It looks very goofy in your screenshot, I must say, especially those giant candles standing on the altar without any base.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

For some other reason, the person who originally made the interior scaled the altar to 1.10. I only noticed it when replacing the altar, which is why the rest of the stuff seems out of place.

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Infragris wrote:Got bored today, made a little doodle for a Hermaeus Mora shrine. I don't know how readable this picture is, sorry. Sort of kind of based on depictions of Ganesha.

For the Daedra statues, I'd like to get away from the classical standing pose that the other statues all use. I picture them as old, bronzed shrines in an Indian or Japanese fashion, only approachable from the front, with ornate, brightly colored backdrops.
What do you think of this as an initial pass at a Daedric shrine motif?
http://i.imgur.com/RuHdUg7.png Obviously unfinished, ignore the blob hands/weapons lol. My notion is that it's supposed to be paint or colored clay applied on top of a relief carving, so some of those details like his face and the skulls around his neck could theoretically be extruded from the mesh to get it to pop a little more.

IMO, we should have a couple "tiers" of Daedric shrines - simple clay/stone shrines for the less savory Daedra like Dagon and Boethiah, and the more ornate bronze shrines for ones like Sanguine and Clavicus Vile whose worship is more accepted, if not encouraged.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

This style would be very appropriate for some of the southern Niben cults. Might also be worthwhile to keep in mind for Nibenese dungeons/architecture styles, too. It's a good idea to rank the Daedric cults by their social acceptability.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

WIP Ayleid containers. Will probably upload these by the end of the weekend.
Attachments
ayleid_contains.jpg

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

That looks quite cool. I love the towered design, particularly.

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

This might be a good reference for the Daedric shrines, especially for Colovia where they shouldn't look too exotic:

Shrine to Zenithar from ESO:

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Looks interesting.

BTW, how's this for that helmet design you were after:
Nedic_helm.jpg

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Looks perfect :)

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Ok, here it is. I've messed around a little more with the face part and the neck guard to make it look a little less derivative.
Attachments
pc_a_col_barr_helm_01.nif
(108.68 KiB) Downloaded 246 times

Return to “P:C Asset Development”