Ald Ma' Cyrod's Cyrod

Model, texture and sound development of P:C
Saint_Jiub
P:C Council Member

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Looks great, but is the specularity part of the texture or just from the rendering program you're using here? Right now the material looks like leather or even plastic.

Would you be interested in modeling some of your Colovian designs after this? The Raga stuff in particular would be awesome to have for Anvil.

Ald-Ma' Cyrod
PT Modder

Post by Ald-Ma' Cyrod »

@worsas, not sure what you mean about the layer not being visible

@jiub, spec is part of zbrush material i use when modeling. for sure, i should probably do those first

Minotaur restarted based on Revenant's concept art on previous page. design is a lot more top heavy now

[hsimg=]http://s26.postimg.org/dur8ny0e1/Mino_Horns.jpg[/hsimg]

though i'm not sure about the overall usefulness of doing another minotaur model now that r-zero has fixed the most annoying issues (imo) with the old one. is anyone even interested in having this variant anymore?
"Weird is relative." - S'Rathra

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

I am, absolutely. The old model makes more sense for the rough-and-tumble environment of Skyrim more than Cyrodiil. And that looks a million times more awesome anyway :)

Could we use both of your models? I can't think more diversity would hurt anything.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

@worsas, not sure what you mean about the layer not being visible
The two images with the nibenese pants were not displaying at that moment and from your post it sounded, as if you had made general material layers for other people to use, as we have discussed them in the common data files thread. So it was just a misunderstanding from my side.

By the way: If you ever get around to modelling some of your clothing designs for Anvil, it would be very useful, indeed.

On your minotaur: I think yours would better qualify for a creature having an actual society. Dirnaes/R-Zero minotaur would, at best, qualify for cave-dwellers and with those hands, I doubt it would be able to veave clothes, too. I don't think it would work, if we used both, unless they were made more similar to each other. Dirnaes version could then be used for a warrior caste and yours for the more studied individuals. That would be a possibility, at least.

Edit: To me Dirnaes/R-Zero's minotaur looks quite cool really, but it would, at the most, be able to create rough fur attire for itself, while concepts like the ones by Revenant involve things of more ornamental nature. I think it is ultimately a question of what concept we want to pursue for our minotaur and that we pursue the latter somewhat uncompromised, even if it can mean that we have to discard earlier creations.

Edit2: A reason, why I slightly tend towards Dirnaes minotaur, is purely out of practical considerations. According to what Infragris has written today, the minotaur would be a rare creature. And to me it seems like we were putting too much attention on something people will rarely get to see ingame. In the end we'll have many opportunities for showing exotic nibenese garment on the Nibenese themselves. We'll not need the minotaurs for that, even though it would probably look quite badass. Only a thought.

Ald-Ma' Cyrod
PT Modder

Post by Ald-Ma' Cyrod »

Appreciate the comments guys.

The issue isn't really that my modeling another minotaur will be redundant as I'll probably do it anyway, even if PC doesn't use it. I think I will leave this to the admins here and just say, fwiw, my model and variants will be following revenant's concept with the horn decoration and etc. The model itself will likely be very inconsistent with the other minotaur, though.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I think a big point of this project is that we can pursue a version of Cyrodiil as it appears ideal in our view. But I'm more a helper kind of person that wants to help ensure that we manage to reach certain aims and i don't have such a vivid picture of Cyrodiil as most of the others around, so I tend to be a bit compromising when it comes to work-intensive stuff like creatures. But a really good vision of the gameworld should not be compromised for practical considerations too much. So, by all means, keep doing what appears ideal to you.

Ald-Ma' Cyrod
PT Modder

Post by Ald-Ma' Cyrod »

Update on the minotaur. Think other than some decoration and clean up this is about done and ready for retopo

[hsimg=]http://s26.postimg.org/73xfsnq0p/PCMino_Cloth.jpg[/hsimg]

@worsas, I think for a project this big there has to be someone who will call the decisions and make compromises for the sake of efficiency. That said, I appreciate you supporting me carrying on with this.

Ald-Ma' Cyrod
PT Modder

Post by Ald-Ma' Cyrod »

Variants started. Abolla per berry's suggestion last page, thought it looked nice as a way to distinguish melee and magic archetypes. Couldn't imagine a sneaky minotaur so haven't done anything for that. Anything in particular folk would want to see on another variant? I'll do the female tonight which will likely wear some form of the concept jiub did on page 1

[hsimg=]http://s26.postimg.org/8gf4ujng9/Mino_Vars_Final.jpg[/hsimg]

When this is done I'm hoping to rig it to the existing Minotaur animations and make minor changes/ additions afterward. Do I have the permissions to do that, or will I have to ask Dirnae?

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

When this is done I'm hoping to rig it to the existing Minotaur animations and make minor changes/ additions afterward. Do I have the permissions to do that, or will I have to ask Dirnae?
Internally we can fudge around with our assets as we like, I think. It's not like an external modder resource or something. Lastly, I doubt Dirnae would mind it.

The garment looks frigging fantastic, btw.

Ald-Ma' Cyrod
PT Modder

Post by Ald-Ma' Cyrod »

Hope so, I wouldn't want to get involved with that sort of thing. I'll go ahead after it's finished then.

Last update tonight with a bit of texture work. Won't be able to do anything else PC until weekend unfortunately.

[hsimg=]http://s26.postimg.org/knivc3tdl/Mino_Vars_Final02.jpg[/hsimg]

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Would it be possible to make the color less-reddish? It looks a tad too reminescent of demon creatures in other video games (unless that is an intended effect). Would it be possible to cover the skin with a layer of faint, shiny fur?

On another note, I'll have to look into some sculpting one day myself. Impressive to see what's possible with the right software and some skill.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

I feel like the model would need a lot more fur than this to be truly mintoraur-esque. I'd like to see the low-poly version for this, actually, to see how it fits with the vanilla style.

I have avoided speaking out on this till now, but I do feel that we need to feature only one single minotaur model, either Dirnae's one or this one, not both at the same time. While your version is more detailed, I kinda have to say that the "primitive" version feels more appropriate for the vanilla art style at the moment.

Ald-Ma' Cyrod
PT Modder

Post by Ald-Ma' Cyrod »

@Worsas, yeah i'm not happy with the color, trying different stuff atm. yes i'm doing variants with fur but would like to leave the chest area bare in a kind of leathery skin for visible tats

@Infragris, see above for fur. doesn't actually have a low-poly atm sorry, i sculpt high poly directly in zbrush and retopo in 3dcoat afterward. agreed that only one is needed, but as i said above i will leave that decision to you admins and leads

fancy some sload?

[hsimg=]http://s26.postimg.org/rzobhnbll/Sload_WIP1.jpg[/hsimg]

also, anyone have ideas for the cyrodiilic tigers? i drew a dragon-tiger combo sketch last page but i'm thinking its a bit bulky for cyrod

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Looooooove it!!! So much better than the one already in Data :)

When animating it, could you please give it a set of swimming animations as well since they're supposed to be amphibious (and the current one isn't, since it's rigged to the Ogrim skeleton)? I imagine it moving something like a turtle in the water: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqLseH9CqE0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I personally love your dragon-tiger, I would say model it as-is :)

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Yes, a swimming sload would be an extremely useful asset.

Ald-Ma' Cyrod
PT Modder

Post by Ald-Ma' Cyrod »

found some time to work on the minotaur again. updates might be a bit periodic for a few weeks unfortunately

[hsimg=]http://s17.postimg.org/macbenob3/Mino_WIP4.jpg[/hsimg]

thoughts on weapons for minotaurs? i started the sword but i'm thinking a mace might suit them better

Fiore1300
Forumite

Post by Fiore1300 »

Ald-Ma' Cyrod wrote:snip
These models are strikingly good, Ald-Ma' Cyrod.

As far as weapons go, I would expect clubs and spears, tbh. With javelins and stones for range. Maces were designed for heavily armored combat. If Minotaurs are largely unarmored, swords would actually make more sense because they'd be more deadly and have greater range.
"My condolences to the citizens of Mold." -Gnomey

Return to “P:C Asset Development”