The Reach: Barrow (Sky_iRe_DH10) [Outlander][Reviewed]

View and discuss completed claims
roerich
Cruel Warlord

The Reach: Barrow (Sky_iRe_DH10) [Outlander][Reviewed]

Post by roerich »

To be found in Sky_Main.esp

This looks pretty grand from the exterior, so feel free to be creative - it could be the barrow of a forgotten Nordic king. The locals are Reachmen, so they would probably shun the place, leaving it undiscovered for ages.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

griff
PT Modder

Post by griff »

So what's the deal with these barrows ?

Am thinking of giving it a try but not sure how were going about designing them.

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

I'd have to advocate against the forgotten Nordic king idea. That seems a bit grand for this area. Really, we need more simple, run-of-the-mill dungeons to help make our truly impressive ones stand out in comparison.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Fine Yeti, agreed with that. Something larger than a Solstheim barrow though, as the entrance is looking quite imposing.

griff, I really should get around to making a barrow reference cell. :-) Berry's recent one in his showcase was good, though! Check that out to get an idea.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I tried my hands on a barrow reference cell, but I got a bit carried away. I figured this interior could do for this claim (I hope you don't feel like I stole it from you :( ), but there'll be plenty future barrow claims, no worries. Still a work in progress.

The barrows should be made using a combination of exterior and interior barrow pieces, along with green'ish lights and mist statics. They should look and feel old. Some of them should be looted, or parts of them at least. We're still not settled on the Stahlrim issue (I think? someone correct me if I'm wrong). The deepest tombs should hold the best loot, naturally.

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/HKJNYuq.jpg[/hsimg][hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/nsZCu6E.jpg[/hsimg][hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/zzjuh8X.jpg[/hsimg]
[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/eGVy3P2.jpg[/hsimg][hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/3BLRWVO.jpg[/hsimg][hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/sPCNLQ8.jpg[/hsimg]
[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/wDwJr1l.jpg[/hsimg][hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/HdJKodY.jpg[/hsimg][hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/BKHDB8U.jpg[/hsimg]

Finally a dungeon where acrobatics is useful.
Attachments
Sky_Reference_Cell_Barrow.ESP
(48.68 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
- Taniquetil

griff
PT Modder

Post by griff »

Looking amazing, love the sunken floor I wouldn't have thought about that. An don't worry about stealing this, I was just pondering the idea anyway and just wanted more info on are take of barrows.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

That's a beauty, it's impressive what you achieved here with these assets. I'm definitely in favor of going with that style.

Those big sidewalls pieces could result in some framerate drop; iirc Worsas suggested not to use them extensively. They can easily be replaced with blocks or platforms, so it's not really a problem. And aren't the blocks in the floor (not the ones used as rests for urns or corpses) slightly too high? Haven't checked in-game yet though, and screenshots and CS view can be deceiving.
roerich wrote:The barrows should be made using a combination of exterior and interior barrow pieces, along with green'ish lights and mist statics. They should look and feel old. Some of them should be looted, or parts of them at least.
Agreed about the atmosphere. Some warmer lights - lit firecups, cave lichens, candles in tended barrows - would make cool contrasting points tok, I imagine.

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

Impressive work, roerich. You've nailed the look and feel of a barrow perfectly.

I'd avoid using Stahlrim this far west. It might be alright to use it in remote areas of the eastern holds (if we ever even get to those), but it should be common on the mainland, I'd say.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Thanks guys. Agreed about having a few dashes of orange lights to contrast the dark and green, looks great as well. The blocks are fine btw, tested ingame.

Also, I solved the sidewall issue (wasn't too happy with that solution to begin with), check out the new main chamber!

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/ybaQzlE.png[/hsimg]
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Those big sidewalls pieces could result in some framerate drop; iirc Worsas suggested not to use them extensively.
I'm recently considered to be originator of statements I have never made. :lol:

Adding a few more of those sidewalls is no issue at all, as long as you don't go into the hundreds. They surely have more geometry than the simple tiles but it's not that much and they are all bundled in a single nitrishape, which makes them preferable to use over many single block objects.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Yeti, how about placing this barrow on one of the sides of Mt. Snowhawk and making it the grave of Kjoric the White? Or another historical figure.
- Taniquetil

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

Simply lovely! I shall steal all of this.

Is there a claim made for worsas' karthgad barrow yet?
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Permission for thievery granted

There is not. I trust you have some good ideas for the ancestral Bear clan burial, you can start right away. I'll make a claim soon enough.
- Taniquetil

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

worsas wrote:
Those big sidewalls pieces could result in some framerate drop; iirc Worsas suggested not to use them extensively.
I'm recently considered to be originator of statements I have never made. :lol:

Adding a few more of those sidewalls is no issue at all, as long as you don't go into the hundreds. They surely have more geometry than the simple tiles but it's not that much and they are all bundled in a single nitrishape, which makes them preferable to use over many single block objects.
Ah, I'm sorry for (double) misleading, then. :)

Roerich, the new main chamber rocks, is that a scaled up barrow arcade that creates the wall together with the bricks? I like it. These assets allow more flexibility with level design than I originally thought.
Yeti wrote:I'd avoid using Stahlrim this far west. It might be alright to use it in remote areas of the eastern holds (if we ever even get to those), but it should be common on the mainland, I'd say.
I seem to be in minority about Stalhrim then. I have no idea what I can replace it with in my barrow though, to avoid breaking the composition or radically changing the concept for it. :|

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

It sure is, berry. That combination of bricks and ext pieces allows many interesting uses.
- Taniquetil

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Update. Posting the file here, though I'm unsure if it's fit for this claim.
Attachments
Sky_Reference_Cell_Barrow.ESP
(93.38 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
- Taniquetil

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

I just discovered this by coincidence. Is this the only mesa2 interior claim that has been opened? I looked for others, but it seems to be the only one. Just making sure here.

I'm quoting my ideas on this from the other thread for the next claimant (overall very similar to the description given by roerich, although the forgotten king idea was voted out):
A long abandoned place, quite small on the inside. Being in such a remote area, it has remained fairly well-preserved and no robbers have taken the long journey up the cliffs to lay their hands on the treasures the Nords have laid their ancestors to rest with.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

This is indeed the only interior claim for this mesa that got put up on the old forum.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

...Claim? I guess
- Taniquetil

Tristior
Project Administrator

Post by Tristior »

Grant!

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Thanks pal
- Taniquetil

Fürst Thal
PT Modder

Post by Fürst Thal »

Progress?

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Dropping. I have a 80% finished version of this somewhere, but I can't find it right now, and regardless barrow ints are easy to shift around.
- Taniquetil

Outlander
PT Modder

Post by Outlander »

i'd like to claim this and use an old 99% finished barrow for this.

will make a few fixes and then upload the finished version.
Attachments
Sky_iRe_DH10.ESP
(61.25 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Claim has been assigned to you. Good work.

Outlander
PT Modder

Post by Outlander »

finished
Attachments
Sky_iRe_DH10.ESP
(64.45 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

To reviewing.

Fürst Thal
PT Modder

Post by Fürst Thal »

Reviewing.

Fürst Thal
PT Modder

Post by Fürst Thal »

Clean: Yes.
Lightning: Good.
Northmarker: Set and good.

All good. Also a very nice and detailed interior. You did a great job here Outlander.

As its all good the merger can just use the latest version provided by Outlander.

MinerMan60101
PT Modder

Post by MinerMan60101 »

Merged with Dragonstar Section File.
Interior and Exterior Developer | PT, TR
How games deal with alt-tabbing
OpenMW: That's cool i can wait for hours with literally zero problems.
Bethesda games: WF(BFHC@(HFB(8g6\ [CRASH]
MGE XE: Ha I guess you don't like distant land then [CRASH]

Return to “Completed”