Aldkarth Lowlands#26 [worsas]

View and discuss completed claims
worsas
Project Administrator

Aldkarth Lowlands#26 [worsas]

Post by worsas »

This claim is about updating the area labelled 26 on this overview map:
[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223 ... claims.jpg[/hsimg]

Please work with Yetis latest file of Karthwasten and Berrys finished exterior claim of the Druadach Highlands.

Related discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=446" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I'll claim this in the hope of generous grantation.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

...grant?

Aren't you the Head of Exteriors? :-D
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

roerich wrote:...grant?

Aren't you the Head of Exteriors? :-D
i have no idea. I thought Scamp was. Though, I have apparently undercut his authority. :oops:

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

I'm glad this part of Karthwasten will be worked on by such trustworthy hands. 8-)

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Cool, Worsas is back at SHotN's exteriors! :)

Would you like me to share the cells with these changes? Be warned though, they are SO beta. :D

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/kbsAsBD.jpg[/hsimg] [hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/wTaTzWt.png[/hsimg]

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

berry wrote:Cool, Worsas is back at SHotN's exteriors! :)

Would you like me to share the cells with these changes? Be warned though, they are SO beta. :D

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/kbsAsBD.jpg[/hsimg] [hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/wTaTzWt.png[/hsimg]
As said in the other thread, we must see inhowfar replacing the claim cell with your wip cell will impact currently linked doors. I also touched that cell already, but i didn't do very much in there yet, apart from replacing rocks and clearing some container plants.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

After some initial hesitation, I have taken the step of the changing the given terrain a little bit. What I have never liked with lestats exteriors is the abrupt switches between landscape styles or how plateaus and round hills are often oddly next to each other. Also, i want to show the Aldkarth lowlands consistently as a low and flat plateau landscape, which it already is for the most part.

[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223 ... errain.jpg[/hsimg]

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I think that gives a really good effect. The mesas and plateaus of the Reach should feel like a once "straight" landscape that has been pulled apart, like dry mud.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

These changes receive my approval. 8-)

griff
PT Modder

Post by griff »

Not so sure, they do look good but in a defensive point of view make the city over looked by the attackers. So why would you build a city there in the first place. I thought city's are built on the highest ground around or on a high economic area like rivers and such.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I think the location makes sense. Building a major city on top of one of the taller mesas would be very much work, especially with transport. Besides, Karthwasten is located on an easily defendable mesa, the gorges acting as moats. Sure, you could fire upon the city with siege equipment from the surrounding mesas, but that would be the case with most locations in the Reach.
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223 ... update.jpg[/hsimg]

Apart from cleaning up grass and adding back trees, bushes and some container plants, I'm mostly done. The secret entrance to the underground system should be slightly more secret now. That utterly inaccessibly cave on the nearby hill can now accessed by taking a long walk.

Since I had to generate grass anew, I couldn't resist changing the grass composition, which means that we should probably re-generate grass for the complete aldkarth lowlands. I'm going to share the respective grass.ini - settings with the finished file, as I'm still tweaking around with it at the minute.

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

That looks marvellous muspila! Marvellous Muspila, Master of Mesas.
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Thanks. :D Though, I think there is far better stuff than this, especially looking at the wasteland region.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

This file should be ready for continuation within claim 25. Grab it, berry!

the grass.ini-settings are within the archive. Please make sure to adapt container plants to the new composition, as I have done within my claim boundaries: Only Persarine, Dragynia, Silver Palm, Apple Tree and Wither Wheat. I have targeted for an average amount of 30 container plants per cell, with roughly 10 of them being wither wheat.

I have left the grass within the city itself alone, because it would have been extremely effort-consuming to remake the grass therein and the slight composition changes wouldn't have justified it. In fact, I think it would be sufficient just to re-generate the grass for major grass surfaces south of the city.

Overall I have rushed a little bit with this claim, but I don't think that these overhaul claims should consume overly much time and attention. They are exteriors that were previously in a state of finished and we are just doing some needed touch-ups. We also need to make 5 more of these claims, before release can happen and I don't want this to take yet another year.

berry, you probably don't need to perform any terrain changes within 25 as I performed them within 26, but it's up to your judgement, of course. Also, feel free to tweak around with 26, should you encounter errors or anything else looking odd to you. I have tried to catch all errors, but there are always some of them escaping my attention.

Edit: Removed the file. Please use the more-up-to-date version from #25.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

That's awesome. :D Thank you, I'm on it. I'll try to get this done by the end of October.

This new landscape does wonders to this area. I like new grass politics too - shrubs growing in clusters for sure look more natural.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Compared to berry's Dragonstar bazaar and my current work on the Markarth marketplace, Karthwasten's market feels too small and bare. Especially when it's actually supposed to be the most mercantile of those three cities. I propose increasing the number of stalls, with inspiration from the other two markets.
- Taniquetil

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

I honestly don't think Karthwasten's market is too bad. With the NPCs, it's pretty comfy. Adding a lot more objects might just reduce framerate. But if there are constructive improvements you can suggest, I'm all for it.
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

Though I admit its outdoor market feels a bit cramped, Karthwasten does already have a crap load of shops and taverns to help compensate. That and the frame-rate is already pushing the level of acceptability.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Fair enough, a decent framerate is an obvious issue. And I know Karthwasten already has a load of different shops, I'm just afraid the market will stick out compared to the others.
- Taniquetil

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

I'm lodging a request to remove the Middle Class tavern (interior #14) from Karthwasten - both the interior and the exterior building. Ideally, I want each of Karthwasten's inns/taverns to have a distinct personality, and I'm struggling to come up with one for this place. Having four inns in a single settlement also seems like overkill to me. Its location also strikes me as a good place to add a street to make the city easier to traverse (the main road is very long, and only connects to the rest of the town at its ends). Perhaps we could also add some market stands here, to help address roerich's prior concerns.

Also, it gives us another interior to shamelessly use in Dragonstar. :lol:

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I support this, good suggestion.
- Taniquetil

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

This claim is in Sky_Main, approved.

Return to “Completed”