Dragonstar (Sky_xRe_Ds) [roerich]

View and discuss completed claims
berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Thanks. To be fair I had some time remembering what's yours and what was mine as well when I tried to valuate the casualties :P so yeah, I can see your point.

And it's certainly reasonable not to follow the pitfall we fell in with Karthwasten, but I feel like even after removing too peculiar makeshifting, some of these lil jewels I was proud of (like the courtyard in Jona's palace, balconies, secret passages or West Dragonstar village) could have been spared, at least partially and with some adjustments.

On the bright side, new fort looks cool indeed, and I love your additions to the "smugglers' canyon".

edit: hey, you spared Ushuga! :P I missed it the first time around

edit edit: forgot to mention it, but the Imperial knight-errant in the roadside cave is a great touch too. We should probably see about making him an optional support for a generic smighting evil quest (remember getting Order of the Most Radiant Heart to help charname battle Bodhi in BG2, anyone? Something like this)

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

In the future, major changes to a modder's work need to be proposed and discussed on the forum or Discord (which, I really ought to join), especially, I feel, when it comes to exteriors. Exterior modders are indispensable to our project -- their work is what everything else is built upon -- and it does not help us to alienate them and make them feel like their work has been wasted.

Let me stress that everyone's work on this city has been impressive. It wouldn't be what it is without collaboration and input.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

@berry

Thanks for taking it like a champ.

I loved the little courtyard and tried to implement it in the smaller palace, but it was really hard with the roof tiles needed to be two tiles wide all around the courtyard. It ends up becoming massive, and those wall/roof combos don't look as good when they serve as the primary building, much better for additions.

Your Dragonstar West village was also better, I'll try to make it look more like it was before the walls were moved. Only thing I disliked was the farm and the area around that, too much mixed styles and it didn't look enough like the farms around Karthwasten which I think should be the reference for these.

The knight in the cave I actually had some ideas for, to be a sort of reverse Umbra. He's quested all over Tamriel for decades, doing noble deeds and serving benevolent lords. But he hasn't found a worthy cause to serve in years. I was thinking that the player should help him find a lord to serve or a quest for him, like killing a monster or something. Still very open.

@Yeti

I agree completely with your post. We discussed this on Discord yesterday, and it really would be a big help to have you both around semi regularly. Communication goes much faster that way.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Another update. Quite a few things changed here as well. Among others: I've moved the Merchant Captains guildhall up to the square with the fountain and the Crown palace, downsized the Crown barracks and moved the Alchemist. Removed the exterior entrance to the closed FG, you need to find the entrance in the tunnels instead.

I hope I managed to achieve more of the cramped, alley-like feeling in Dragonstar West.

Some areas are still WIP, like the village and parts of the market. Windows, cluttering and grass as well in many places. But the vast majority of this is finished now.
Attachments
sky_dragonstar_roerich_08-05-2017.rar
(520.75 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Another small update, mostly to have an up-to-date version for interior claims.
Attachments
sky_dragonstar_roerich_13-05-2017.rar
(526.19 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
- Taniquetil

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Great stuff. Is alleyway-ish properly now, approving. :) I love beggars' alleys in DS W especially; the best ointment for my grief, really. :P

Some really quick feedback:
  • There appears to be a wooden wall blocking all the way in Imperial Garrison now. I know these Imperials feel insecure here, but damn, is that an overreaction :P
  • The stairs leading up to the clothier's balcony in DS West are too steep
  • cool to see the inner courtyard concept back. Looks great in the Yoku Temple, very fitting for a cloister
  • there are two floating nails in the middle of orc smith in DS E
  • these 3 upsized Nord planks from my makeshifted cowshed in DS E should probably go, the thing looks way better with them simply removed
  • Redguard merchant on the bazaar (the one selling dwemer shield and sabre cat helmet) is currently trapped inside his stall. PC can't enter either. The trims and the floor should go
  • say, have you thought about downsizing Jona's castle's courtyard? Now that the castle is smaller it doesn't probably need to be that big. I'm thinking about something like this:
  • that last remaining secret entrance to the castle, overlooking worsas'canyon, should probably go too now, since it's not a castle anymore
  • what about the eremite, too? Probably should wait for NPC conceptualizing phase?
Btw, some things change with each overhaul of Dragonstar... But at least coc-ing to "Dragonast East" always spawns you in extremely crappy position :D

And yeah, I totally should join the discord, I know. The thing is I'm currently Altmer ears high in this crap of that overrated "adult life" concept, so it's much easier to just drop a line on the boards every once in a while. I'll do it when things get a little less crazy. :geek:

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Thanks for the feedback berry! Appreciated. The wooden wall in the Imperial garrison is just WIP stuff, I'm trying if I can make the transit between east and west go through an interior.. The other suggestions are good, I'll have a look on it. I removed the stylite guy because I didn't have the animation file and my game crashed when visiting the cell without it. He's still in the npc list.

And tell me about real life . . . I'll probably be off for a few months soon as well.
- Taniquetil

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Update.

Mostly changing the castle into a more defendable structure, overlooking the citys skyline. Jarla's palace has been ingrained into the castle structure. It will need three or four interiors; 1. castle interior with a great inner hall full of supplies and barracks as well as hallways and staircases leading upwards (this might need some makeshifting of the exterior dungeon pieces), 2. dungeon, 3. the palace-fortress interior(s).

ImageImage
ImageImage
Attachments
Sky_xDS Roerich 9-08-2017.esp
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 268 times
- Taniquetil

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Update.

More work on the bazaar, adding more greenery to DSW, other changes.

Uploading so interior modders can work on the most recent file.

Btw I've started adding Vurts birch trees close to the border. They should be found up north as well.
Attachments
Sky_xDS Roerich 15-08-2017.esp
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 273 times
- Taniquetil

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Another update.

- Merged some of the finished int claims
- Detailing and some long needed changes to Dragonstar East
Attachments
Sky_xDS Roerich 11-09-2017.ESP
(1.94 MiB) Downloaded 254 times
- Taniquetil

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

This is like 99% finished, so feel free to download and do some testing.

I've added the files for the Shadowkey style dragon statue fountain as well. Provided by Asylum.

Collecting errors and bugs here:
- Something weird has happened with Geldwyr Manor/Order of the Dragon Tooth after adding an extra floor.
Attachments
Daggerfall_Dragon_Statue.zip
(941.15 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Sky_xDS Roerich 17-09-2017.ESP
(2.03 MiB) Downloaded 230 times
- Taniquetil

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Sunday funday update. 99,5% finished. I reckon this can be merged into the main file, when Yeti's done with it.

Ended up with some lovely landscape tears in Ghast's Pass cell, so that's axed for now and I'll merge an older version in.

New cobblestone texture can be found in the Tamriel Data Contributions thread.
Attachments
Clean Sky_ex_Dragonstar 8-10-2017.esp
(1.98 MiB) Downloaded 321 times
- Taniquetil

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

Exterior files really shouldn't be merged with the main file until they've had NPCs and dialogue added to them. That way, NPC modding for one area doesn't hold up work on the main file, and you don't have to sort through long lists of NPCs from other areas while working. Also makes cleaning the file easier.

At any rate, shouldn't the claim be sent to the review? After it's been checked for errors, I can create a claim for it in Quests & NPCs

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

That sounds like a good idea. There's just some areas I have a hard time finishing without the surrounding cells, but that can always be done in the merging fo course.

I still have one cell to finish, Ghast's Pass. It's currently 70% finished I'd say. Uploading another update soon.
- Taniquetil

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

Yes, matching with neighboring cells would need to wait. But overall, working on smaller NPC claims will be far more manageable than doing all that work on the main file directly. At the very least, it will allow us to work on more things at once.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

That's true. I'll finish this very soon and put it up for review.
- Taniquetil

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Finished.

Another huge city claim is -- more or less -- finished.

ImageImage
ImageImage

There's still some issues here and there, some detailing that can wait for merging, a lot of NPC's with incorrect ID's, etc etc. A lot of stuff that can wait until it's NPC'ed properly. Also there's a few unfinished interiors included in this file, which I'll take care of seperately.
Attachments
textures.rar
(549.63 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
Sky_xRe_DS Roerich 03-11-2017.ESP
(2.25 MiB) Downloaded 296 times
- Taniquetil

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Once again, great stuff. Everyone who participated did a marvellous job - this is quickly becoming one of my favourite cities.

Is that a giant chicken I see near the gate on the second-last screenshot?

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

Nice. The (mostly) final version of Dragonstar looks superb. I love the little border outpost blocking the way into Hammerfell. Definitely more practical than a full-sized fort.

There will probably need to be a little optimization here and there. In particular, we need to be careful about container plants. Those can be a big drain on fps.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Thanks.

Before anyone starts reviewing this, can you please announce so? I'll keep merging ints when they are finished.
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

The following cells are now part of my new claim Sky_xRe08 and should be removed from this file:
-115, 14
-114, 14
-113, 14
-112, 14

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Apparently this is already in the section file here, so this should be in the Completed forum.

Return to “Completed”