The Reach - Western Grasslands #01 [berry]

View and discuss completed claims
SGMonkey
Site Admin

Post by SGMonkey »

Cleaned up the topic a little bit. (Just spoilers to detail tags)

If its not a spoiler, use the detail tags.

Awesome work so far berry!

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

By the way, did you have major problems noticing hagravens' cave from the valley? Does that unique tree and lights bring it out sufficiently?
Yep, definitely. The tree appears like a major magical point in the surroundings. At some point it should be going to have a role for the player.

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Hey Berry, just letting you know I'm done with the review. Before I upload it, I want to make sure it's clean, so here's a couple questions:

1) To me it seems like your file is editing two of our existing regions, though their properties seem unchanged. Something you forgot to clean out, or do their entries have to stay in TESAME if you apply them to some of your cells?

2) What is up with all those levelled creatures? I'm using the latest version of Skyrim_data (I think...), and there's a lot of entries here that don't make sense in this particular claim, yet they are not in data either. Such as all the Sky_Ex_Haafinheim_ creatures. Are those leftovers from the main exterior file, perhaps? Aside from that, there's an awful lot of creature entries here anyway. Usually I'd say it's fine to remove them all, is there any particular reason why you left them? Did you add some of them yourself? In that case, you should always mark them with an underscore at the beginning, or some sort of unique identifier that lets me (as the reviewer) know that they do not belong to Skyrim_data.

3) What's with the _Flora_BM_holly_0* again? I remember working with them in the past, but they're not in data. Are those leftovers from Xander's files, too? If they are no different from the standard Bloodmoon ones, I'd rather see them replaced.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

3) What's with the _Flora_BM_holly_0* again? I remember working with them in the past, but they're not in data. Are those leftovers from Xander's files, too? If they are no different from the standard Bloodmoon ones, I'd rather see them replaced.
Ah, those. I used them aswell, to be honest. But mostly just because I wasn't 100% sure, if we'd possible replace them at some point in future. But we can probably safely say that they will remain the same holliberries that you have in Bloodmoon. So, we can use the original bloodmoon ones from now on.

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

Are those leftovers from the main exterior file, perhaps?
Possibly. The main exterior file was kind of a mess originally.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Hey, that was quick, that's great :) thanks.

1) I wasn't sure should I delete their references in TESAME, ; they were part of original Sky_exterior file, together with the others, hence I figured it was safer to let them wait for the higher authority to decide their fate, not to mess things up. I didn't apply any changes to them.

2) Crap, sorry for that. They all are the leftovers from the main file, yes. I meant to keep only the ones actually used in this file (same story as with the regions - wasn't sure should they be here at all), but then forgot to remove remaining crapload. Once again, sorry for inconvenience.

3) Yes, they came with the exterior file, forgot to Search & Replace them. I think I might have left those because they were used by other modders in exterior file as well.

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

1) Deleted the region entries in TESAME (no worries, they're still there in the CS...)
2) Deleted all creature entries that were not utilized in your claim
3) Did not delete the hollies. We will need to do a global search and replace to involve the other claims using these.

-fixed bleeders between flora and rocks
-fixed floating groundcover here and there
-added some missing shading (very subtly and just in two or three spots)
-fixed some floating rocks
-fixed some caspering rocks
-throughout the whole claim, fixed numerous bits of groundcover bleeding into rocks, cliffranges, houses. I realize you may have just kept this the way you got it from Lestat's files, he somehow did a lot of that. It looks bad and distracts from the scenery. In some places it is acceptable. It seems like the areas you were specifically editing did not have any of these issues. It's just my guess though.
-did some minor adjustments to clutter not resting properly on surfaces
-fixed some bleeding mushrooms. Also fixed those poor mushrooms that had only their caps visible, the rest being sunk completely into the ground. Those poor mushrooms! They want to be seen in their entirety!
-fixed some floating flora
-fixed some moss bleeding into rocks with their tips where it was very clearly visible. Left it the way it was in a lot of places, though.
-Those poor bushes! What a miserable fate, sunk into the ground with only half the actual plant sticking out of the ground. They want to be seen in their entirety! (This is something I've seen in your showcase as well. Now don't you say you kept those the way they were in Lestat's files! :) )
-fixed some leaves bleeding into the ground.
-fixed a little bit of rough terrain, especially parts of the dirt road leading towards the Ayleid ruin. Very minor adjustments here.
-No changes have been made merely for the sake of my personal preference. All fixes were done only to complement the original claim.

I wasn't sure why you had placed creatures here already. I left them for now; If the NPCer wishes to work from scratch, they may delete these. Some of the creatures used may not even be in data, but somehow nobody responded in a way that it was clear whether I should delete them or not.

Your caves could probably have used some dark lights, they seem way too bright ingame. I thought that this was perhaps intentional, though. Like I said, I do not wish to add things that I think work out better than what you did. It's your claim after all.
It was a little rough to walk on your naturally makeshifted trunk-bridge, but certainly possible, hence I didn't make any changes to that either.
I did place two levitation potions at the bottom of one crevice after finding out that I couldn't get out ingame. It is always something to keep in mind when adding these kinds of features. Remember that players stuck in such crevices will have to use divine intervention, recall or similar spells to get out of their misery if they have no other way out or insufficient skill in acrobatics.
Attachments
Sky_Claim_Berry.7z
(617.52 KiB) Downloaded 235 times

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Sweet! Thank you very much, Scamp.

Regarding the creatures - I redistributed the ones that were already here over changed landscape, deleted some and then filled the blank spots in a way that seemed logical to me. To be honest, I was oblivious that's NPCer job. Either way, I have no problem with them being deleted, yet I believe some of them should be considered by the NPCer (minotaur behind the ruins, vultures above hagravens' cave & spriggan by the grove below, that is). I wouldn't die for them though :P

I'm not sure if the usage of unfilled leveled creatures lists is a problem. They didn't seem to affect the game stability and keeping them in the game world would save us some precious time in the future, when corresponding creatures (e.g. vultures) are created. I hope I understood correctly what concerns you here.

I may place some dark lights promptly if the caves stand out now, wasn't aware that's the standard in SHotN. I noticed some of them in Karthwasten only yesterday.

Out of curiosity, what's the further life of finished exterior claim?

edit: Forgot to mention it before. Thanks for kind words, Lux & SG.

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

I do not have any concerns about creatures other than the fact that it's actually not part of an exterior modder's job to place them. We'll keep them for now.

I just heard that the dark lights tend to look bad in exteriors when MGE is used.

Regarding what's going to happen with your claim, I'm honestly not sure. I am not maintaining the main exterior at the moment.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

My suggestion is/was adding your finished claim to our new main file, when Yeti is done with npcing, so we have all of our up-to-date stuff combined in one place.

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

The dark lights in Karthwasten do indeed look dreadful in MGE, I was going to raise a point to have them removed. So I can expect it is well the case in general.
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Completed claim, reviewed by Scamp and with two adjacent cells cut out for another claim. Ready to merging.
Attachments
Cut-out Sky_Claim_Berry #1.esp
(2.18 MiB) Downloaded 222 times

Return to “Completed”