Druadach Highlands (Sky_xRe_04+07) [Scamp]

View and discuss completed claims
worsas
Project Administrator

Druadach Highlands (Sky_xRe_04+07) [Scamp]

Post by worsas »

A claim for the areas marked 4 and 7 on this map.
[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223 ... claims.jpg[/hsimg]

Region discussion thread:
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=645" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Location map thread:
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

I claim this claim! (7, too)

... can we not merge these topics for 7 and 4 (or rather: kill 7 and name this one 4+7) so that I don't have to cross-post or split files afterwards?

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

Sure, why not

Hurray! Untouched new land progress! By my calculation, when these are done, you'll be responsible for some 61 cells of Mesa-ing. Well done!
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

We should probably discuss what we'd like to go here before Scamp starts working his magic. Reachmen camps? Caves? A giant Dwemer statue named Nemon?

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

We definititely need another orc camp.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

This would be an ideal place for Orc camps. I'd also like to see a few more nomadic Reachman camps, consisting only of the huts. These would be goat herders migrating between the mesas and the northern hills. On the mesa, they trade fur, leather, wives and magic with the Orcs.

A minor Direnni outpost wouldn't be out of the way either. It should be inhabited by an isolationist Breton Daedrologist, the good old evil wizard trope like Sorkvild the Raven or Beledas Demnevanni of Gnisis.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

These mesas is like the only place where we could paste my village, cut and replaced with Nord tower, in mostly unaltered shape. I know we were discussing this when you were gone, Scamp, plus we've never really reached a consensus here, so if that doesn't work with you, I can see it working somewhere along the way to Old Hroldan too, with adjusted textures and vegetation. Let me know if you'd like me to dig up the latest file with the village and serve it you with cell coordinates though.

What I'd love to see here is basically a snowish "brown" Druadachs region, with some pines in place of Reach trees, like in Midkarth region, and maybe getting slightly more mountainous towards High Rock. Orsimer nomads roam this place, still herding these wooly centipede thingies lore mentiones them to herd. This model by Asylum, if made more furry, would be fantastic in such surroundings I think.

Minor Direnni outpost and wandering Reachmen sound great too. Overall this mesa should be the least civilized of all three (so we should relocate my village somewhere else, then, probably).

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Sounds great, berry. I agree with your stylistic concepts, sounds like a mix between Druadach Highlands and Falkar Foothills.

Just a quick thought, but I was wondering if there's was anywhere in your current claim (28?) you could place the village? Perhaps in the more remote area, furthest away from the fort and road. I agree that it would break the feeling of this mesa being the least civilized and most remote.

The centipede thing is perfect, I'd love to see how it looks with some fur. I don't think we should bother with rugs etc. from them, but we'd need a "scales" or meat ingredient and of course a weird bug milk, from which the Orcs make their horrible Ungorth.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

These mesas is like the only place where we could paste my village, cut and replaced with Nord tower, in mostly unaltered shape.
How about moving that village to western Haafinheim?

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I don't really see it working in what I picture as barren, tundra hills. I think Reach tribes here should be very nomadic, migrating south for the winter. I also think a village of this size would stick out a bit (in the sparse vegetation), but it could work in between cliffs and the small patches of pine forests.

Another location could be in the ravine created between the two western mesas. It would be well hidden but still in the vicinity of other permanent Reachman settlements. The ravine would be closed off by cliffs.

A third solution could be to modify the village a bit, and simply put it on the road between Falkirstad and Dragonstar. This would help to show the Reachmen as being the real population of the Reach, and that while many have fled into the hills and mesas to hide from the warfare, it isn't everyone. A Nord garrison could be stationed there or close by, or it could just be under the "protection" of Falkirstad.

Here's a map with my suggestions for locations

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/901jrcc.jpg[/hsimg]
- Taniquetil

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Sounds fine; I haven't actually started working on this, so it's good to see some overall information about what's what in this area.

I'm against placing the village here personally, preferring roerich's roadside and ravine suggestions instead. I don't quite see it working here with the nomadic and remote attributes.

As for this Direnni outpost roerich was referring to, is that in addition to Anga Tor, or is it the same thing? I'm thinking this should be rather small on the outside if we're going for the isolationist sorcerer theme. I'm open for suggestions though.

Interesting that you guys mention snow; last I know we had agreed on refraining from snow on this mesa. I thought it wasn't supposed to start this far in the south. Perhaps it could work in small patches towards the north.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

All 3 locations work with me, really, these sound cool. Claim 28 would work too, but there are no fully blank cells there, so if we end pasting that village there, some work would get lost anyway. An area between Karthwasten and Beorinhal would make a good location too, to show a growing presence of Reachman as you are leaving central Reach, to it's climax in Old Hroldan.

As for the snow, what I had in mind is transistion to northern Reach looking like this:
[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/Zb6RCsg.png[/hsimg]
with pine trees on the mesa stretching even more south, maybe; there actually wouldn't be that much of a snow here then. I think your mesa region with pines and snow edges and Muspila's Caiar Druad wetlands with dry grass and some floating ice would both look cool as hell, hence this suggestion. :)
Last edited by berry on Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I'm not sure if it should be combined with Anga Tor or if should be a ruin of it's own on the southwestern side.

I'm thinking snow in very limited patches indeed, and only in the uppermost northern end. This should be the pattern for most of Falkar Foothills and the western "northern coastline" region. The real snow should start around Falkirstad and north and east of there.

Edit: Berry I think we should keep the Falkar Foothills brownish layout for a much larger chunk of land than what the old snow cell southwest of Mt. Snowhawk suggests. Increasing frequency of snow patches and the real snowline starting in Falkirstad.
- Taniquetil

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Intriguing. I love regional transitions in rather open areas, it's a challenging task even for experienced landscape designers. This will be fun.

I think I'll separate Anga Tor from the outpost. This will allow the latter to be kept small enough to capture what made Sorkvild's Tower unique.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Sounds like a good plan. Either way I know this is in competent hands, master of mesas. Another thing, I wouldn't mind a few regular pine forest cells on this mesa. I mean, more heavily forested than the other mesas.
- Taniquetil

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Edit: Berry I think we should keep the Falkar Foothills brownish layout for a much larger chunk of land than what the old snow cell southwest of Mt. Snowhawk suggests. Increasing frequency of snow patches and the real snowline starting in Falkirstad.
Sounds good. Dirt, snow-dirt, dry grass and more and more pines. So basically, while trinkets of snow would start to appear in Foothills region, truly snowy landscape would arrive a little bit more north, like this?
[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/uTGbydk.png[/hsimg]

By the way, something to keep in mind when considering a temperature of SHotN areas. A steam-breathing, a feature of Blood and Gore mod, begins in the line of the cell with ferry, south of Markarth. It's based on the snow line of Solstheim, I guess? Anyway, I think those would be proper outlines to follow.
Another thing, I wouldn't mind a few regular pine forest cells on this mesa. I mean, more heavily forested than the other mesas.
Oh yes please. And a Reachman sacral grove (clearing?) within it.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

So basically, while trinkets of snow would start to appear in Foothills region, truly snowy landscape would arrive a little bit more north, like this?
It should be the other way around with the snow line starting at that same spot in the east but going northwest from there so it starts a little bit north of Cascabel Hall and Falkirstad. I'm also against snow on that mesa. The whole western Reach is supposed to relatively temparate, while your proposal would turn it into a snow waste.

Edit: roughly like this:
[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223 ... oposal.jpg[/hsimg]

Edit2: We cannot really take your third party mod into consideration. In central parts of skyrim the snowline will probably be further south than that and you will have cold and snow down in the Jerall mountains or along the whole range of the Velothi mountains anyway.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Yes, the snow should thaw going west. Here's how I'm picturing it:

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/CypCkBO.jpg[/hsimg]
- Taniquetil

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Posting an update here because I feel it's long overdue.

I haven't done nearly as much as everyone probably expects. Still, I've done some good progress on the southern parts (regional transition has not been touched yet), including some work on the orc camp and the Direnni tower. The latter two are not to be considered finished - not by a long shot. Especially the tower is in a rather experimental state, and I'm working on making it more believable.

Overall the file is dirty and not in shape to be viewed with a lot of pleasure because of all the ctrl-d junk floating about. It may just give an idea on the overall status.
Attachments
Scamp_New_Mesa_v03.7z
(607.06 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Looks like a great start to be frank.

Personally I'd love to see a few Haafinheim pines around the camp already, in otherwise Reach-y enviroment; in Midkarth to the east, these already start to appear just the moment Vorndgad Forest ends, that is on the same latitude this mesas's southernmost part lies on. In my opinion it creates cool subtle transition effect, but I'm not sure how it would work in the west here and what we agreed upon eventually...? Since we wanted to have the west of Skyrim less snowy, maybe it's too early for these pines here?

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I wouldn't mind a few dark pines here. I don't think pines should be excluded from non-snowy environments.

Regarding the Reachmen. Scamp, did you have a chance to read the Reachman lore thread? There's some info on the tribes of these lands, and how their camps would look like. Very temporary, only the small huts and shelters, no stuff that looks like it's there permanently. Sleds etc. The camp design should probably remind one of the ashlander camps, with all the backs of the huts pointed outwards. I think one of these camps should be put in the northern part of this mesa.
- Taniquetil

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Thanks all, I think we could do with some pines here and there on the edges of the currently finished landscapes to make the transition more subtle.

@roerich sure did, I like the additional background lore you and worsas established there. I was thinking about leaving traces of Reachmen in multiple spots throughout the mesa to indicate their nomadic behaviour with one actual camp being fully functional at the game's point in time.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

That sounds great. This mesa shouldn't have to much manmade stuff.

Btw, what happened to the plan to have the mesa descend going north, so it blends into the terrain instead of having the vertical cliff wall?
- Taniquetil

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Not sure. I don't exactly remember the plan, though the maps have always indicated it. We can go with it.

Are there any claims done for the Falkar Foothills yet? I suppose not. I will take a look at your Markarth claim and the region planning thread for reference on the transition.

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Per request, a file representing the state of the claim as seen in the infamous discord screenshot.

... I was going to do some major work on this before uploading another file, so this is rather undeveloped in many aspects. So now you may freely wonder at how I still haven't finished the Orc camp and the Direnni tower, or how Anga Tor isn't there at all, or how the slope isn't finished. Have at it! :mrgreen:

Also, there's a major land tear in one of the cells, which I have yet to get rid of (mostly a matter of being lazy) - so don't worry about that one.
Attachments
Scamp_New_Mesa_v04.7z
(567.02 KiB) Downloaded 167 times

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Update. 70% I'd say
Attachments
Scamp_New_Mesa_v07.7z
(678.41 KiB) Downloaded 198 times

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Holy shit, that cliffside around -116,18 tho :o magnificent.

Love the High Rock vibe around that area too... must be all the pines, these cells feel so Glenmoril-ish.

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Here's a new version. I have finished the top of the mesa, leaving just the regional transition between Druadach and Falkar Foothills (plus some tweaking/adding loot here and there).

I've started putting together some stuff for the new region and began work on the regional transition. Basically it's dry grass with a density somewhere in between Haafinheim and the Druadach Highlands, Haafinheim pines and has less rocks overall than the mesa region.

Nothing in these northern areas should be regarded as final at this point; that is, I might swap textures and/or distribution of trees. I'm currently not fully satisfied with the look of the region.

The attached file is most likely dirty.
Attachments
Scamp_New_Mesa_v12.7z
(793.9 KiB) Downloaded 177 times

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Alrighty, this should be it. I'll move this to Reviewing.
Attachments
Scamp_New_Mesa_v22.7z
(713.13 KiB) Downloaded 261 times

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Approved (I guess).

Return to “Completed”