Aldkarth Lowlands (Sky_xRe_28) [Berry]

View and discuss completed claims
worsas
Project Administrator

Aldkarth Lowlands (Sky_xRe_28) [Berry]

Post by worsas »

This claim is about updating the area labelled 28 on this overview map:
[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223 ... claims.jpg[/hsimg]

Please work with Yetis latest file of Karthwasten and Berrys finished exterior claim of the Druadach Highlands.

Related discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=446" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Location map thread:
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Maybe one last exterior claim, before a major modding break. What do you guys say?

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Go for it! It would be nice to have the southern border completely finished. What are your plans?
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I'll add a (nordic?) border fort and put an additional cliffrange behind it as sightblocker, similar as seen on berrys proposal map.

My thoughts about the landscape ontop of the cliff are still very diffuse, but I'll make sure to add at least some kind of remnant of Reachmen settlement. I will remove the current fortress ruin and add some modest fortress remnants closer to the cliffside, probably. Also, I'm still toying with the idea of adding a hidden dwemer site somewhere, so it isn't obstrusive.

Actually, I'd be happy to have any input you guys have.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Sounds great to me. An abandoned and overgrown Reachman settlement with goblin palisades, a Reachman shelter, and one of the burned down ruin buildings resembling a Reachman house would look great. It will also play really well with the supposed mass migration to the Sundered Hills.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

First WIP-file
Attachments
Sky_xRe_28.7z
(405.14 KiB) Downloaded 153 times

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

You're going like a storm. :) Great start.

I support the plan for Reachman ruins. A ruin made of ruined wall assets in characteristic multi-angle shape of Reachmen big hut, with burned ground inside. There can be but one small hut still remaining, inhabited by an old Reachman, too old to move, so left here by the Tribe to die alone, telling a player a story of the tribe and Old Hroldan settlement.

Where do you plan to place the fort? Past the crossroads, by these small canyons? A raw wooden fort, with heavy garrison and some watchtowers would work well here.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

This is looking really promising so far. That road by the clifside is perfect, I wish I could get the same feeling with the west Markarth road.
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Another day, another update.
Attachments
Sky_xRe_28.7z
(407.46 KiB) Downloaded 161 times

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Such is life in the modding land.
- Taniquetil

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Great stuff! I'm in love with that ruined fort (does it mean we won't be getting a ruined Reachman village in this area though? that would be a pity!) especially. It's a spot-on.

What are your plans for the area besides Skyrim border fort? How about a natural barrier of cliffs where the grassy area ends? At any rate, not much effort should be put in these cells, I think?

The fort gate could be turned into scripted doors, so that if it's activated from Skyrim's side a "return" triggers with a proper messagebox, and if it's activated from Hammerfell's side it'd take a player back in, with a messagebox (e.g. "With some snarky comments about 'the lost lamb', Nord guards let you back in") as well. The sides that player is on can be detected with unique collision walls placed by the doors.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I'm still planning to add a ruined village-site, but it's going to be far more decayed and less pronounced than other village ruins we have.

I would not put any effort into artificially closing the border. Especially here, if people jump down from the border mesas on the wrong side, they'll be on brown ground, anyway. The landmass just stops southeast of this, also south of this mesa, which has a smooth, non-blocking transition into nothingness. I'd just not worry about it right now. We don't have the fortune of having a classical border mountain setup here. People will be able to handle it.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

That fort is looking great and blends in perfectly with surroundings. We should aim to have a few more points of interest than the ruined village. How about a mine entrance on the cliff road? Did I say how much I love that cliffside road yet?

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/jS9feRQ.png[/hsimg]

Perhaps around here? It doesn't need to be active.
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Actually, that area you keep mentioning has been part of my claim 26 and I consider it all but finished at this point. What you say is very true for the top of this border mesa. It's empty and devoid of purpose.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Ah I must have missed it then. But yes, this is a fairly huge chunk of land which should have some more reasons for adventuring than spawning creatures and pretty landscapes. What about the fortress, should it have an overgrown road leading to it? It seems like it has been pretty isolated.
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Dropping.
Attachments
Sky_xRe_28.ESP
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 159 times

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

That suggestion of the road by the ruined fort is really cool. Is this finished or is there more still to do?
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

The CS crashed on me and I lost half an hour of some very decisive progress. If you're wondering how come one's working in the CS between 6:00 and 8:00 am, that is yet another question..

Since I calmed down, I shall reclaim this.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Aw, man, that sucks ass. Been there, experienced that - that's like the worst modding experience ever. If you don't want to cope with that anymore, I can take this claim. Farmland claims are of equal level of importance, so you could always push one of them forward, too.

I'm not sure about the road suggestion, especially given how tiresome and time consuming it is to make one, and how close to SHotN's border this plateau is anyway. This fort's probably been ruined for 30 years, any road would had been overgrown by now. The ruins would obviously be attended to by bandits, hunters, monsters and alike, but I feel the road is superfluous here.
worsas wrote:Actually, that area you keep mentioning has been part of my claim 26
Hey now friend, there's actually a tiny bit of my old claim captured on that screen too! You braggart. :D

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I have an initial dwemer ruin in this claim. I've been thinking hard about how an iconic border towards Hammerfell could be created with our limited space and means and that is what I came up with then.

Actually, berry, if you are fond to switch with me and take this claim, while I handle whatever is left to do in #12, that's something this dwemer site could really benefit from. Overall, I have been struggling with this claim far more than I should.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

That works with me. :) I will have much more free time to work on it starting next week, so it's not a problem. This claim should be fun, telling from what I've poked around it already.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Alright, I have changed the assignment of the claim to you. It's thousand times better, if someone handles this claim who actually enjoys it (which I hope will be the case).

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

I've been enjoying it quite a lot so far. :)

Update. The valley with fort and Dwemer ruins is mostly finished. I also added a polygonal ruin I mentioned earlier to the ruined village and another small cliff nearby.

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/t9LnAof.png[/hsimg] [hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/SlWluJP.png[/hsimg] [hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/YA02uxw.png[/hsimg]
Attachments
Sky_xRe_28.ESP
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 146 times

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I like it.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Oooohhh, that fort is sweeeet! The combination of landscape, Nordic border fort and Dwemer ruins is really aesthetic. There is something distinctly 'Tamriel' about it.

Now for the hopefully constructive criticism:

- I'm not sure I like the torches on the ladder leading to the longhouse. I'd rather see a Sky_Furn_Firecup_01 with a logpile, like this: http://i.imgur.com/5ACqAvW.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- The deerskin drum in Sky_Ex_Nord_Foodhut_04: I would save the drum for Shaman interiors and the like, I think it's too unique of an object to be used as common clutter.
- IMO there's too many signs on the signpost. I think we should stick to the nearest cities for these, and exclude smaller villages until you're near them. Here I would exclude Karthgad and perhaps Haafingar. But, again, it could make sense for a border post.
- The post with the travel warning is cool.
- Excellent job on the Dwemer ruin.
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Yesterday I realised I accidentally included the westernmost column of cells from claim 29 in this file. That area also happens to be relatively untouched so far. I don't have the claim infront of my eyes right now, but you could possibly clean that column of cells from your claim without any harm to avoid conflict with whatever spineinside is doing in claim 29. Or otherwise see if you can coordinate your modifications with him.

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

I like how you are using the Hammerfell ground textures around that ruin, very good stuff.
The fort is cool and I like how the tower gives you a good view of the ruin.
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Very nice, Mr. Berry (and worsas). High quality work as usual.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Thanks for positivie feedback, guys! That fort-Dwemer-Hammerfell area goes surprisingly nice together indeed. Lots of these is worsas' feat actually, the landscape he created here is a sheer pleasure to feel. Roerich, I've addressed your points. :)
worsas wrote:Yesterday I realised I accidentally included the westernmost column of cells from claim 29 in this file. That area also happens to be relatively untouched so far. I don't have the claim infront of my eyes right now, but you could possibly clean that column of cells from your claim without any harm to avoid conflict with whatever spineinside is doing in claim 29. Or otherwise see if you can coordinate your modifications with him.
If you're fine with it, I'll remove it then. Comparing that area in both plugins, it looks like spineinside've done some work there already (having forested the place?) so it would be better if these stayed with him.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

[hsimg=]http://iterateadapt.com/wp-content/uplo ... 04/fin.jpg[/hsimg]

--

This version is compatible with spineinside's claim now, too.
Attachments
Clean_Sky_xRe_28.ESP
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 180 times

Return to “Completed”