Stirk NPCs [Infragris]

View and discuss completed claims
Infragris
Project Administrator

Re: Stirk NPCs [Infragris]

Post by Infragris » Thu May 05, 2016 11:49 pm

Possibly, though there are also a lot of creature spawnpoints around there. A bit too many, even.

Looking at these dock pieces, I'm kind of questioning their existence. We're not using this tileset in Anvil,as far as I know. It's a little odd to see a backwater like Stirk with its own unique stone docks, and it sets a bad precedent (we can't go around making a brand new tileset for each and every town, the way we have been doing). Since these pieces need to be reworked anyway, I'm tempted to scrap them and put wooden docks in. Thoughts?

Saint_Jiub
P:C Council Member

Post by Saint_Jiub » Fri May 06, 2016 5:42 am

I'd hate to see them go altogether...... Could they be repurposed for Anvil, perhaps? Right now, IIRC, it just uses big white stone blocks, and its docks are a little lacking in character.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas » Fri May 06, 2016 7:32 am

I would actually hate to see the wooden docks being used instead of these and I'd rather see them reused in Anvil or one of the fisher towns, if it must be. These vanilla docks are starting to make everything feel the same, somehow. Not sure if it accounts for something, but Ravenrock in vanilla even had its own dock models.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris » Fri May 06, 2016 9:24 am

I think the retexture and the general change of scenery would be enough to dispel any similarities with Vvardenfell docks. There's also the matter of usability: the wooden docks have corners, 4-ways, stairs, etc. and they are slightly wider and easier to navigate. The Stirk dock set literally consists out of only two pieces. Having a stone dockset next to the wooden one would be a valuable addition, but imo two things would have to happen: the set would have to be expanded with more flexible pieces, and it should be retextured so we can use it across different cities (like in Anil, where the docks are quite underdeveloped).

What if I do it half-and-half? The stone docks remain along the shoreline and with one pier on the far left, while the rest of the "minor" docks are replaced with wooden walkways. This sort of mixes it up, keeps the unique architecture, but also makes the docks more varied, less clean and more functional. It would make sense for the local fishing boats to use a cheaper-looking, wooden dock.

About the lighthouse access: looking at it, it's kind of too close by to make a new travel line worth the effort. Are there any objections to making a wooden walkway to the lighthouse isle? This would close the bay along the south side, but the east side would remain accesible to ships (southern end is very shallow water anyway). I think maybe I can rig up a drawbridge-looking thing if need be.

Leon

Post by Leon » Fri May 06, 2016 10:01 am

Infragris wrote:What if I do it half-and-half? The stone docks remain along the shoreline and with one pier on the far left, while the rest of the "minor" docks are replaced with wooden walkways. This sort of mixes it up, keeps the unique architecture, but also makes the docks more varied, less clean and more functional. It would make sense for the local fishing boats to use a cheaper-looking, wooden dock.
I have mixed feelings about this, but I'm interested to see the final results.
Infragris wrote:About the lighthouse access: looking at it, it's kind of too close by to make a new travel line worth the effort. Are there any objections to making a wooden walkway to the lighthouse isle? This would close the bay along the south side, but the east side would remain accesible to ships (southern end is very shallow water anyway). I think maybe I can rig up a drawbridge-looking thing if need be.
Maybe placing a rowboat to the docks, near Quintex Doralis, which the player can use in order to reach the lighthouse. Maybe having two modes, one manual and another is fast travel when activating the rowboat?
Lead Interior Designer & Quality Assurance at Province: Cyrodiil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas » Fri May 06, 2016 10:30 am

Logically it would make the most sense that the transport between Stirk and the lighthouse island happened via a rowboat. So how about removing that longboat next to the lighthouse and adding a rowboat both to the lighhouse and the harbor? The practical tansport should either be a loaddoor mechanism or a friendly fisher offering you to ship between these two.

Leon

Post by Leon » Fri May 06, 2016 10:37 am

worsas wrote:Logically it would make the most sense that the transport between Stirk and the lighthouse island happened via a rowboat. So how about removing that longboat next to the lighthouse and adding a rowboat both to the lighhouse and the harbor? The practical tansport should either be a loaddoor mechanism or a friendly fisher offering you to ship between these two.
Agreed. Making a loaddoor from a rowboat sounds ingenious. :)

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris » Fri May 06, 2016 10:40 am

Okay, a loaddoor-boat it is.

Quick mockup of my Stirk docks proposal:
Attachments
Stirk Docks Proposal.jpg

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas » Fri May 06, 2016 11:19 am

I'd be fine with these changes, although, I don't see anything wrong about just keeping the current docks, myself. But oh well, I'm a very opinionated one :D

Scamp

Post by Scamp » Fri May 06, 2016 12:03 pm

I guess that would be fine, though you will have to find a way to make a decent transition where the different dock styles meet, which I believe isn't quite that easy. Bleeding the pieces looks unnatural and should rather be avoided.

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray » Fri May 06, 2016 5:59 pm

I'd throw my weight behind keeping the existing ones. The mockup looks a bit 'moddy' to me and a lot less 'Imperial' than the stone dock.
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris » Fri May 06, 2016 6:29 pm

The mockup was literally done in a minute, of course it doesn't look perfect. The transition should be no problem if handled seriously. If people are opposed to using wooden docks then I will leave it as it is, but in that case I hope someone is willing to make these dock pieces actually functional.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris » Tue May 17, 2016 12:55 pm

Small update. More merchants are now functional , and I the rent door thing should be fixed. Barrow names and Saint_Jiub's changes to the upper class homes implemented.

I've reworked the basic dock piece, and scaled it up to about the size of the imp_dock pieces (the TR added ones, not the larger vanilla stuff). This should make them navigable and function as a tileset (the old pieces did not snap). The old configuration of the docks is now not possible without additional models (corners, T-pieces etc.). Not really a problem, since the changed profile of the flat ships required some reworking in this area anyway. I have little experience with making tilesets, but I'll see if I can make the basics for the stone docks. I'll still likely mix in some wooden docks, if only because it will make this a lot easier.

Does anyone know a good guideline for npc AI settings? Alarm and that sort of thing.
Attachments
Stirk v3.741.ESP
(33.22 MiB) Downloaded 16 times

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas » Tue May 17, 2016 3:08 pm

http://uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:NPCs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe this page will be useful. but in case of doubt, you can still look for vanilla npcs and copy their AI -settings?

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry » Tue May 17, 2016 3:19 pm

There is also some talk about it in MSFD, pages 122-133, but that's all I know about. I also found some more value tables here.

Leon

Post by Leon » Fri May 20, 2016 12:19 pm

Just a note to people who are testing the quests:

When you download a newer Stirk version, go to the CS -> load the quest (active) and Stirk file (passive) -> hit save button; now the quest will work properly. When you load the quest with a newer Stirk file (in-game), the quest will be broken, so always follow this protocol by saving the quest in CS with the latest Stirk version. Also, when you load up the quest in the CS and saving it without the Stirk file, it will be even more broken.

Thank you.

Leon

Post by Leon » Wed May 25, 2016 4:38 pm

Infragris, Geval Ugenring repeatedly tells the player that somebody stole something from him. Do I smell a quest?

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris » Wed May 25, 2016 6:25 pm

A possible part of the main questline. Ugenring was the previous Prefect of Stirk, who retired after a nervous breakdown caused by, among other things, Victus Pilious. He's convinced that Pilious is spying on him and stealing in official correspondence. The idea is that the player would have to talk to Ugenring somewhere along the questline, figure out if he knows anything useful. Actually, retrieiving Ugenring's "correspondence" could make a nice subquest, I hadn't even thought about that.

Leon

Post by Leon » Sun May 29, 2016 11:47 am

Mis-Quest idea :idea:

Aro Abecinnus, the undertaker, tells the player that someone steals from the Helvor Family Crypt and need the player to investigate.
It's Aro Abecinnus's responsibility to secure and maintain the crypt so he ask the player to help him.

This quest is like the "Fargoth hidingplace quest" where in the end the player follows a NPC into the crypt and will caught the NPC red handed. Then the NPC will persuade the player not to tell, blablabla, I'm horrible with the details, but this is just a general idea.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
PT Modder

Post by TerrifyingDaedricFoe » Sun May 29, 2016 8:47 pm

I wouldn't want Stirk being overcrowded with quests. There's four (?) I think at the moment, plus all the MQ quests. Might be best using the idea somewhere else.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris » Sun May 29, 2016 9:05 pm

The Helvor crypt plays a part in the main quest: there's a secret passage to the Ayleid ruin used to supply the pirates. The quest could play out this way, if not, we should keep this idea for the Anvil graveyard.

Leon

Post by Leon » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:38 pm

I don't know if it's a problem on our behalf or from TR, but the guards in Firewatch are greeting and welcoming me in Stirk. :?

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:50 pm

Now, that you mention it...

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/PIAOczF.png[/hsimg]

I assumed the fault lies on the site of my claim plugin, as it's rather dirty atm, but now I don't know.

I'm still using previous Stirk esp btw and this guy has a Reach npc script assigned.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:56 pm

There are some erased/corrupted dialogue conditions that I have yet to fix.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:30 am

Update: Stirk dialogue greetings are now correctly filtered, should no longer appear outside of the island itself.

Is anyone here well-versed in dialogue conditions? Wondering what the best usage of Local or Not Local flags is for the PC_NoLore condition.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:40 pm

haha I didn't actually post the update file whoops
Attachments
Stirk v3.741.ESP
(33.22 MiB) Downloaded 16 times

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:42 pm

Infragris wrote:haha I didn't actually post the update file whoops
Thanks :P I got to thinking you didn't mean to, and you're just telling us about the progress.

I can indeed confirm the long-aged Stirk's occupation of the Reach is over now with this update. However, I'm still getting that error with the rent door.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:30 pm

Leon, could you open up three claims for the Stirk galleons with the new interior pieces? I'm afraid the ones you already made won't really fit (though you could rework them for Anvil).
  • The Snarleyohwl: easternmost ship, on the lone pier. This ship is crewed entirely by Khajiit (Captain S'Dato, Asharib and Jo'Ra Ra). S'Dato usually sails Topal bay, but is out here on a commission for Victus Pilious. Naturally, he's smuggling skooma and moon sugar: there should be a secret room somewhere aboard. Could play a role in the main quest.
  • The Blessed of Stendarr: middle ship. Owned by Restia Nigilius, an Imperial captain. This is basically a fishing trawler, bringing barrels of dried slaughterfish and Abecean Longfin to Anvil harbor. This will be the ship that transports the player to the mainland. Should look lower-class, dirty, lots of fish statics an containers strung up.
  • The Magnificent: the westernmost ship, nearest to the census & excise. this ship is owned by the Redguard captain Jafan, a sort of braggart/scoundrel type who sails a lot on the Abecean Sea. His ship should have opulent captain's quarter, but be rather shabby otherwise. He does contract work for the East Empire Company. Maybe a shipment of imperial armor and weaponry in the hold.
There are also at least three shipwrecks scattered across the ocean floor that I was not aware of. One of these could be the setting for the shipwreck quest, the others can probably do without interiors, as they are very hard to find. There's also the pirate ship to the north, but this can be filled out once we know how it fits in the main quest.

Leon

Post by Leon » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:58 pm

Infragris wrote:Leon, could you open up three claims for the Stirk galleons with the new interior pieces? I'm afraid the ones you already made won't really fit (though you could rework them for Anvil).
Agreed. The claims are made.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:45 pm

Update: changes to the docks and galleon pieces have been implemented. Might still be a couple of floaters around the docks. The rent door script issue should be fixed now, although there now appears to be a problem with dialogue sorting (dialogue entries are sorted correctly in the overview, but appear incorrect when filtered for a specific publican npc). Bed rental scripts for the Sload's Tale are also in, and you can ask the Verus couple at the Sload's Inn about Stirk's history.
Attachments
Stirk v3.744.ESP
(33.21 MiB) Downloaded 14 times

Return to “Completed”