Stirk NPCs [Infragris]

View and discuss completed claims
worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

nice flower

Regarding the spells... unless you have some immediate inspiration for imperial counterpieces to the above-mentioned spells, I would be going to add these lines to our npc scripts now. Calling removeSpell on an npc that doesn't have the spell has no impact, I have tested, so we can just batch remove them in one go (and do the same with the shotn-npcs while I'm at it).
;remove dunmer spells from cyrodiil npcs
removeSpell, "almalexia's grace"
removeSpell, "almsivi intervention"
removeSpell, "Cure Blight_Self"
removeSpell, "Cure Blight Disease"
removeSpell, "ondusi's open door"
removeSpell, "ordeal of st. olms"
removeSpell, "rest of st. merris"
removeSpell, "rilm's cure"
removeSpell, "rilm's gift"
removeSpell, "seryn's blessing"
removeSpell, "seryn's gift"
removeSpell, "shield of the armiger"
removeSpell, "sotha's grace"
removeSpell, "sotha's mirror"
removeSpell, "summon ancestral ghost"
removeSpell, "summon bonelord"
removeSpell, "summon greater bonewalker"
removeSpell, "summon least bonewalker"
removeSpell, "ulms juicedaw's feather"
removeSpell, "veloth's benison"
removeSpell, "veloth's grace"
removeSpell, "veloth's gift"
removeSpell, "vivec's feast"
removeSpell, "vivec's kiss"
removeSpell, "vivec's mercy"
removeSpell, "vivec's tears"
removeSpell, "vivec's_wrath"
Edit: Btw. you seem to be right about auto-adding of spells to npcs, i just set up a sorcerer at level 20 and voila, he had ghostcurse and pc_ghostcurse in his spell list. So it's not limited to our own spells. I'm going to edit our custom creature spells so they don't get assigned to npcs anymore.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

In addition, I think it's vital there's a doOnce local governing this removal, if these commands are called each frame it would likely result in a performance drop, especially if there are many NPCs in a cell.

I'm on a fence about this approach myself. I understand editing each NPC to remove these spells by hand would take a modder lots of time, but in general assinging a local script to each NPC in a mod feels unoptimal (though modern computers shouldn't have any problem with handling it), and now with making this script even more complex? I have my doubts.

Cool find with the auto-calculation thing. :) It will make things easier.

About the flower - I like that concept! It reminds me of old draygnia model. Maybe it might actually be reutilized here?

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

In addition, I think it's vital there's a doOnce local governing this removal, if these commands are called each frame it would likely result in a performance drop
This removal happens in the same place where the county/hold variable is assigned to the npc. it only happens once.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Since every NPC already has a script attached to them anyway, we can just as well make use of it fully. I understand the concern over these scripts, but realistically speaking most cells never have more than 10-12 NPCs in them at a time, anyway. Spells can be removed manually, but setting up NPCs is already incredibly mindnumbing as it is.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Nice! I had a quick look over them, very creative use of the pieces to make those storage units. I'm not a interior reviewer, but I ad a couple of minor criticisms:
  • Is it really necessary to block the minimap view? I don't think the internal view is that immersion-breaking, and some players might need the layout to orient themselves. I there are wall pieces sticking out, it's better to hide them selectively.
  • I noticed you never used the _walltop pieces: these are meant to be placed on top of normal walls in places where the ceiling is higher on the top level. I know they don't reach all the way up, but I think it gives the interiors more personality to have them as halfway dividers. Are there problems with these pieces?
  • Likewise, in many places you've put the flat wall pieces directly in front of the exterior hull. This is a bit of a pity, since this makes a lot of the interiors feel boxy and smaller than they need to be (and because I put a lot of work in those hulls). In the upper Snarleyohwl, for example, I don't see the need to cover the hull in the large back room and those three rooms along the left side.
  • In general, most interiors seem a little bit too clean: places like the fishing trawler, khajiit ship, and pirate ship could be a lot more cluttered and dirty. stacked crates and barrels could also do with minor scale, placement and rotation changes.
For the rest, these interiors do look pretty cool. If you need any additional parts for the set, I can look into that.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I find it impressive that you were able to create these interiors so quickly again. Good work.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Cool, thanks a lot. Windows are a great idea, I'll look into that.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Ehhh maybe? Thing is, depending on the main quest outline most, if not all of the current sidequest would need to be edited slightly. The Estarria quest, specifically, can probably be merged into the main quest progression. Others, like the Helvor legacy etc. should perhaps be shifted to secondary characters (Syro Nemimus, Estarria, members of the Helvor family) to avoid conflicts and make sure that not every quest on the isle is given by the same three people.

Update: fixed some minor issues, implemented "little secret" dialogue. Guard dialogue should be functional? Didn't test it.
Attachments
Stirk v3.757.ESP
(33.23 MiB) Downloaded 221 times

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Changes in the new file were made yesterday and the day before, and reviewed today before being posted. The next update will include the ships.

About the other quests: I am a little reluctant to give solid advice, because I am not 100% sure which shape about the end shape of the main quest and I want to save us all from unnecessary revisions. However, I am pretty sure of the following:
  • The Helvor Legacy quest should be given and handled by Astoria Helvor, the mother of the current baron, instead of Vilina. Vilina is a major quest-giving NPC in the main quest, and it would be confusing if she gave additional, unrelated quests besides these. Also, this avoids all our quests being focused on the same three people.
  • Gold in the Nets: the player should report the amulet's discovery to Estarria, not Victus himself. This way, we don't have to worry about his seclusion, and it makes sense that his secretary would handle such minor affairs. Also, same reasons as above.
  • The Wreck of the Cassynder quest should be given and handled by Syro Neminus, the main clerk in Town Hall. This way, we have an equal split of sidequests between the three major factions on the island. Also, same as above. This would require a big change in the interior workings of the quest, but luckily this one hasn't been made yet.
Other quests are fine, but I do not want to merge them until the basic Stirk dialogue is ready. Adding a whole new layer of dialogue and conditions needlessly bloats file size, makes it files more prone to errors and glitches. It will also be easier for you to work on the main quest when the file on which it is built is no longer subject to revisions.

Still left to do:
  • "Little Advice": revise and expand
  • "Local Rumors": add non-specific catch-all responses
  • "Cyrodiil Lore": revise generic responses
  • "services": sequence errors, redo
  • "beds": sequence errors, redo
  • spellcheck
  • Diversify book usage
  • Add ship interiors
  • Check Tiger Lily placement for clipping errors
  • New Goldenrod mesh + check for clipping errors
  • Redo guards with gold coast armor

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Riiight, so I overestimated how much time this would take. I've taken out one or two things that could better be handled by an independent dialogue plugin, finished basic dialogue and outstanding errors, replaced the deprecated books and merged the ship interiors into the file.

Still left to do: spellchecking, testing, and checking the tiger lily/goldenrod placement (which is basically the same size, so not really critical). On the topic of mesh/texture updates, the paintings are my next big annoyance, but that's a long-term thing.

Other than that, this claim is ... finished?
Attachments
pc_Stirk_dialogue_v3.762.TXT.7z
.txt export of all new dialogue
(34.46 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Stirk v3.762.ESP
(33.4 MiB) Downloaded 184 times

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Okay, a bit too optimistic. There's still problems with dialogue filtering. A couple of things show up in Vvardenfell, and it looks like a lot of people don't use place-specific dialogue? And the bed rentals are broken again.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Okay, updated version. There are a couple of dirty edits to dialogue which I will remove later. Bed rental still doesn't seem to work: everything functions fine, but the room doors don't unlock. I'd appreciate it if someone could take a look at that, because I can't find the problems. Might be something to do with the scripts.
Attachments
Stirk v3.764.ESP
(33.4 MiB) Downloaded 189 times

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Code: Select all

if ( PC_County == 1 )
	return
endif

set PC_County to 1
Right at the top of our script.

Needs to be switched for:

Code: Select all

if ( PC_County != 1 )
	set PC_County to 1
endif
I have not tested it, but that should do it.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

I copied that part from the Stirk nonlore script. Doesn't that mean that the basic nolore has to be edited as well?

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

The basic scripts are fine, because they needn't do anything but declare and initialize their variables. The PC_County variables gets set in both code snippets above. For the basic npc scripts they are equivalent. But the first version prevents any further logic to be processed after the first frame, so it is incompatible with scripts that need to do more.

in case you have ever been wondering about the control and controlQ-variables. They are just deposits, mainly for quest purpose. You can use them however you wish to set and read an additional value on an npc apart from having the journal.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Thx, worsas.

Update: bed scripts are now functioning, various spelling errors fixed. Number of minor fixes in object placement etc.

I am going to make an executive decision and move this to reviewing.
Attachments
Stirk v3.765.ESP
(33.4 MiB) Downloaded 180 times

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

I'm wondering if it might be better to merge the NPC file directly into the mainland .esm and edit the quests on top of that, rather than to build/merge the quests with the NPC claim?

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I was about to ask the same thing... :D

Edit: Maybe finish the move to the new data files (which should go relatively quick as soon as all remaining details are settled with TR)?

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

A bit of testing, basically. Following things still need to be checked:
  • Rent scripts: rent rooms at the Safe Harbor and Sload's Tale in different situations (low disposition, not enough money, etc.)
  • Check if all the merchants have money and don't sell things they're not supposed to.
  • Stress-test crime scripts (get arrested, check if fines are deducted/stolen items end up in evidence chest in Town Hall.
  • Just basically see if nobody has inappropriate dialogue.
  • See if Cyrodiil topics don't show up anywhere on Morrowind.
There's also still a bit of cleaning left to do: there are a couple of dirty edits to Vvardenfell cells that, and some new/edited objects that either need to be cleaned or added to Data (a container or two and a static door, I think). I'd also like to add a small shrine to Kynareth on the summit with the new wayshrine stuff, once that's finished. It would play a small role in the main quest, and otherwise be a reward to those dedicated to exploring the island.

Sadly, I don't have any time to get into this until next week.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Oh, another thing I'd like to do is define the three political factions (Imperial Curia, Colo-Nordic Nobility, Niben Hierophants) in Data, so that key people on Stirk can be added to these factions. This would open up more options for dialogue filtering, too.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Hey Infragris, what is the current state of this file? I have not patched it, since you might have worked on it in between. But I can still do it, if you wish.

Regarding those three factions... Add them to the file for now and let's include them in another version of the data files. I'm not very open to additions to the current version of Tamriel_Data anymore. If you call the factions something like T_Cyr_XXX they can be painlessly included in a future version of the Data.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Sorry, I've been very busy these last couple of weeks. I've tried using the translator patch, but the program kept hanging for some other reason and I didn't have time to work it out. Could you do the translation, please?

This newest file has the basics for the three factions added, along with a couple of bugfixes. Note that the extra stuff (lvld lists etc) that I uploaded in data contributions is no longer present in this file, meaning that it will give error reports if opened in the CS.
Attachments
Stirk v3.768.ESP
(33.38 MiB) Downloaded 206 times

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Here it is. It went through smoothly for me. But maybe the version of the filepatcher you were using was outdated and had some bugs. If you are ever in need of patching something else, make sure to download the latest Tamriel_Data and use the filepatcher & translation.txt included with it.
Attachments
Stirk v3.768.7z
(6 MiB) Downloaded 172 times

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Thanks. I'll give the file one last look-over, but I think we might just be done with this.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

There are still some floating barnacles around the docks that used to be attached to one of the ships. Apart from that everything feels very polished now.

The game crashes when you are arrested or you use divine intervention, but it seems to be a bug of the vanilla game (or something else in my setup breaking it). OpenMW handles it correctly, placing you at the respective markers on the island, when you are arrested or use divine intervention.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

I'll try to get them out by the end of the week. Been very busy lately.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Are you using the latest data files? Container IDs went through some changes.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

You are most definitely using the outdated alpha version of Tamriel_Data. When I load the stirk file, all containers are there, also within the ship interiors.

The container ids had to be changed again, because they needed to be cropped to 23-24 letters like the creature ids. The game needs the last 8 positions to add a counter to the id of the container/npc/creature in the savegame. Container ids are a bit ugly now but it couldn't be helped.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

It's one of the two download links at the top of this thread: http://project-tamriel.com/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=726" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is alternatively a download at tesnexus:
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods ... 4537&pUp=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

At least two of those are water layer statics. The rest I'm not sure of, could be flora containers in the distance. I don't remember having any such problems on my setup (though I can't check right now). It could be that the Stirk file you are using is out-of-date, using a previous translation. I have a small update ready with dirty edits/bogus cell removals, will post it this evening.

Return to “Completed”