[PC_q1_Str06] Wreck of the Cassynder [Jani]

Claimed work is Reviewed here before being marked as Complete
Infragris
Project Administrator

[PC_q1_Str06] Wreck of the Cassynder [Jani]

Post by Infragris »

This quest is now re-purposed as a misc. quest in Anvil.

Through latest rumors, the player is alerted to the fact that a merchant living in Anvil is looking for help. Due to a pirate attack, the merchant has lost one of his ships, the Emperor Cassynder, off the coast of Anvil. Normally, such a thing would be written up as a loss, but since the wreck is so close to land, the merchant wants to try his hand at salvage.

Stage 01: there are two things of importance in the wreckage: a jeweled silver cup (there's only a jeweled golden cup in Data - Denis418) that belonged to an influential Nibenese aristocrat, and the ship logbook (probably waterlogged, but could still be interesting). In addition, the player can loot any other things they encounter that are still useful. The merchant will add a map marker and directions to find the wreck, and direct the player to a rowboat they can use (loaddoor, use the "ferry" door object).

Stage 02: the player travels to the wreck. The wreck is infested with Lamias, both inside and outside (a crack in the lower hull could lead to a small grotto with more Lamias). The logbook is better hidden than the silver cup. Intrepid player can read the logbook and deduct from its hints that the merchant was also smuggling some moon sugar, and dig up the secret hiding spot.

Stage 03: The player returns the objects that he found to the merchant: the reward increases based on wether the player found only one object, or more than one. Finding the drugs opens an optional dialogue tree, where the player can decide wether to: a. return the drugs to the merchant, for a reward; b. extort the merchant, keeping the drugs for yourself while asking for money (persuasion check); c. bringing the drugs and the logbook to the harbor master, who will offer a reward for them.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Go for it. Release date in sight matey.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Sure. Please use one of the existing shipwreck interiors for this: I think there is a suitable candidate not far west from Stirk, on the edge of a great chasm.

Note that this quest should no longer involve Pilious: as discussed elsewhere, misc. quests should revolve around secondary characters and not touch people important for the main quest (to avoid conflicts). Estarria would be the easiest questgiver, or perhaps the dockmaster, Fulvius Leclerc.

Also, feel free to shorten the quest if you see a way to do so.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Updated OP: the quest now revolves around a merchant called Caperno, who is not involved in any other quests.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Any progress on this?

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Make a copy of the current rowboat with a unique name, attach a script and place around the same place as the current one. I will remove the original boat from the main file when merge the files.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I don't want to make needless pressure, but I'm wondering, what's up with these last quest claims. Can't we try to get these completed finally?

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you will eventually find some time to finish these for us. But let us know, if you can't finish them at all, so that someone else can finish your work.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Any news on this? If this quest proves too tricky we can maybe reschedule the idea for Anvil.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

No problem, we'll keep this one back.

Kaiel
-Banned-

Post by Kaiel »

I think it'd be fine to move this back to Caperno and Stirk, adding another misc quest to Stirk would be good. I can implement it when I do the other quest fixes/edits if that'd be okay.

Jani
PT Modder

Post by Jani »

Claiming. I'm going to move the quest back to Caperno and Stirk and finish it.

Jani
PT Modder

Post by Jani »

Update.
Attachments
PC_q1_Str06.ESP
(13.24 KiB) Downloaded 151 times

Jani
PT Modder

Post by Jani »

Quest finished. Haven't tested yet, will do later today or tomorrow. Feel free to playtest until then.
Attachments
PC_q1_Str06.ESP
(23.9 KiB) Downloaded 146 times

Fürst Thal
PT Modder

Post by Fürst Thal »

Playtested a bit.

1: The dialog always says "the merchant Caperno" this sounds weird, I'd change it to something more natural sounding.

2: Leclerc tells you about Capernos illegal dealings right at the start. I'd change that, it would sound better if he made a remark into that direction after you have given him the logbook and then fully tells you after you tell him about the moon sugar.

3: Taking the boat drops me into the water. It would look way better if I got put on top of the boat and had to swim down myself.

4: If the "latest rumors" are supposed to give me information about this quest then its bugged as I couldn't get any.

5: Getting the Silver Goblet doesn't give me a quest entry.

6: When he asks me to give him the Moon Sugar and I didn't have any, then he just acts as if I had them on me and thanks me.

Jani
PT Modder

Post by Jani »

Update. Ready for review.
Attachments
PC_q1_Str06.ESP
(24.22 KiB) Downloaded 159 times

Fürst Thal
PT Modder

Post by Fürst Thal »

Gonna playtest one more time. Would be good if a reviewer could hold off until then.

Fürst Thal
PT Modder

Post by Fürst Thal »

1. What he tells me when I select the ship topic is in the beginning the same as what he tells me when I first speak to him which sounds weird when he kinda says the same thing again like a robot. Perhaps change the follow up dialog to be more organic. And make the first dialog always appear if its not already set like that so that there are no weird dialog bugs happening.

2. When he says he sees the log and asks if I also have the Goblet and I say no then the dialog should say more about that I should look more into niches or something. But currently it says nothing about the Goblet which is just weird.

3.After the quest ended with me not being able to find the moon suger the ship isn't allowing me back to the shipwreack. This makes no sense especially when he kinda hinds that there could be more evidence.

4. "How goes the search "My Name", I hope you didn't encounter any trouble Emperor Cassynder." got told to me first time speaking with him.

5. When trying to sell it to him at the market price and he refuses then there is no way anymore to do it again or to just give it to him for free.

Jani
PT Modder

Post by Jani »

New version:
* Fixed the bugs that Thal found
* Introduced a global for finding the drugs to cover all edge cases

Up for review.

Merge notes:
* Open Caperno's door so the player can reach him
* Remove the non-quest ferry from the Stirk docks
Attachments
PC_q1_Str06.ESP
(23.49 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

Denis418
Denis

Post by Denis418 »

Hello! The quest is a great adventure. Here are some observations after the playtest:

1. There's still no latest rumours for this quest, I'm afraid.

2. I have talked to Caprano first, and while he has some dialogue, it doesn't start the quest and doesn't point me to Leclerq. Maybe it's ok though, since he won't be happy to risk with someone finding his illegal cargo.

3. The ferry doesn't bring me to the wreck of the ship. But rather takes me to the lighthouse. There are two boats on top of one another near Leclerq and both lead to the lighthouse.

4. Finding the wreck manually proved very challenging, becase there are at least 3 shipwrecks north of the island, two of them being interior-less so the player wouldn't know their name. I know the ferry solves this problem, but maybe Leclerq could mention that this ship is a galleon (am I correct?), so the player would have a clearer picture of what to look for.

5. The silver goblet has no value. It is obvious, of course, that to hand it to Leclerq is more profitable. But I think it breaks immersion a bit. Maybe give it a price of 40 gold, so the player would have the option to make a stupid thing and sell it to a generic merchant.

That's all. I think, the issues that Furst Thal mentioned have been resolved. Kudos to those who made the exterior of the ship! it is very cool, hanging there above the abyss. The dialogue is great too. It is neat that this quest makes you interact with this prominent underwater point of interest. I'd love to test it with a working ferry. I imagine, it would feel like a real Robinson-like salvaging expedition :D

A feature creep suggestion is so Leclerq could send you to a merchant who gives you basic equipment for the work for free (when you mention that you're from Leclerq): a water breathing potion, a lockpick and a rope. So to emulate the stage of getting ready for the dive and give the player the feeling of the hard work ahead.
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear,
because fear has to do with punishment.
The one who fears is not made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18

Taniquetil
Site Admin

Post by Taniquetil »

This old quest will get a new com tradeship wreck northeast of Stirk isle. I will try to keep things touching the rest of the quest intact for the Charach overhaul.
A far green country, under a swift sunrise
she/her

Denis418
Denis

Post by Denis418 »

The shipwreck is ready. It consists of a cabin, a hold interior, and a grotto that breaks out from the hold. There is a placeholder journal in the cabin. And I suggest placing the goblet in the grotto.
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear,
because fear has to do with punishment.
The one who fears is not made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18

Return to “Reviewing”